Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brake fluid change - how often

• 24-06-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Have a Megane with 4 year old brake fluid, time for a flush? Brakes feel a bit less powerful after a recent pad and disk change.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yep. Brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water).

Last time I did a brake fluid change I used an "easybleed" gadget. Made it clean quick andsimple, and means it's a 1 man job too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Usually 2 years - easy cheap job. Main dealer would do it for less than €50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Brakes feel a bit less powerful after a recent pad and disk change.

Brake fluid age has nothing to do with that.

Brake fluid absorbs water, and when the fluid gets hot, it boils. Then, as you press the pedal, the fluid vapour compresses (brake fade)

I'd say that the new brakes haven't bedded in yet. New brakes take up to 200 miles to bed in properly, and that's what I'd say you have.

Brake fade is when the pedal travels more, overheated brakes is when you press the pedal, but nothing happens (and you'll smell them). New brakes are exactly as you describe above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Every 2 years is typically recommended.

Make sure you get the correct dot rated fluid for your car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Every 2yrs. Did mine 3wks ago and felt a massive difference in brake feel and stopping power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sure it is due a change but your problem is down to the fresh brakes Id bet. Should be fine in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

gpf101 wrote: »
    Usually 2 years - easy cheap job. Main dealer would do it for less than €50

+1. Every two years. Bleeding is critical and each corner needs to be done according to distance from master cylinder etc

easy job on all one you've seen it done once.

Advertisement