Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird House Spider

• 24-06-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Not really a question or anything just wanted to post this to see if anyone had seen something similar before.

I have attached a picture of a spider which was in my house the other day. It wasn't big, smaller than my thumb nail, but the colouring is weird.

I had to reduce the quality of the picture to upload it but it still looks fine.

Nedd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

That's a cool spider!
    Know very little about spiders but I have a book :)
    Araniella species.
    Either of 2 species which can't be told apart on external features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Male Araniella opisthographa or male Araniella cucurbitina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I wish I had spiders like that! Much nicer victims for my macro lens than the bog standard house spiders I share my house with;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I wish I had spiders like that! Much nicer victims for my macro lens than the bog standard house spiders I share my house with;)

I was delighted that I actually got a chance to use the Macro for something worth while. Thats half the reason I posted it. Didn't want the photo to go to waste :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Angus Og wrote: »
    Male Araniella opisthographa or male Araniella cucurbitina.

Yeah I think your right. Common enough spider. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Common enough, but strangely, I rarely see the male. It's a beautiful spider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

nedd wrote: »
    I was delighted that I actually got a chance to use the Macro for something worth while. Thats half the reason I posted it. Didn't want the photo to go to waste :-)

And you got a nice sharp shot. Beware of catching macro addiction - you'll go blundering around staring at the ground looking for subjects and end up short sighted and thinking a millimetre is a mile!;)

Advertisement