Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Mature student

Options
  • 24-06-2010 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I have already registered st. John college in Cork for the course Multimedia.

I am a german citizen, 28 years old, and I have 2 children. My son is 7 and going to 2nd class from september, and daughter will be 3 in september.
    My husband is working full time.. but we are receiving Family Income supplement and we are also medical card holder.

We moved to Ireland in November 2008.

But now I am confused, and not sure that if I am eligible for Maintenance Grant.

I am really worried how to manage, as my daughter is not getting place in Creche which is in the college.. and is cheaper than other creches.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

Hi there :)

You won't be entitled to a maintenance grant as you have to have been living in Ireland for 3 out of the 5 years immediately before the start date of your course and you say you have only been living here since November 2008. So between Sept 2005 and Sept 2010 you would of had to have been living in Ireland for 3 of those years.

You will however be able to apply for your tuition fees to be paid for if you have been resident in an EU country for 3 of those 5 years and have proof of that such as utility bills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

What are the tuition fees? I know theres a E1500 regeistration fee at the start, but obviously they're a different kettle of fish altogether!

Tuition fees are the fees required by the college every year for you to take part in your course.

Universities charge per year for all courses such as undergraduate bachelor degree or for postgraduate studies. They range in price dependingon the course.

So for e.g: UCD were charging €5,783.50 a for 2009/2010 to do Economics for EU students.

Whether you are entitled to free fees or not depends on your earnings. To get free fees you apply for a Higher Education Grant and they determine whether you are entitled to have any of your fees paid dependant on income and circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

can a mature student get a maintenance grant if theyve been to college before but didnt claim it then? is it means tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

gibson wrote: »
    can a mature student get a maintenance grant if theyve been to college before but didnt claim it then? is it means tested?

All grant allocations are made on the basis of a means test.

Afaik if you completed a qualification previously then, unfortunately, you aren't eligible to apply for a grant for the equivalent period of study for your current course. This applies even if you didn't previously receive a grant.

For example if you previously completed a two year course e.g. a Higher Cert and now you entering the first year of a four year degree although you wont be eligible for a grant and free fees for the first 2 years of the new course you may be eligible for the 3rd and 4th years depending on the means test.

The best thing you can do is check with your grant awarding body, VEC or Co. Council. Contact details are on http://www.studentfinance.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

sassypsych wrote: »
    Whether you are entitled to free fees or not depends on your earnings. To get free fees you apply for a Higher Education Grant and they determine whether you are entitled to have any of your fees paid dependant on income and circumstances.

Aren't free fees eligible to all EU students that haven't completed a degree course before? I didn't think it was dependant on income or earning.
    Unless you mean the registration fee that can be paid by the grants?

From UCC fee site (http://www.ucc.ie/en/financeoffice/fees/StateGrantFreeFeesInitiative/):

STATE GRANT: FREE FEES INITIATIVE

Under this initiative, the Exchequer meets the tuition fees of eligible students who are attending approved third level courses.

What students are eligible?

Eligible students are third level students who

1. are first-time undergraduates,
    and
    2. are E.U. nationals and have been ordinarily resident in an E.U. Member State for at least three of the five years preceding their entry to an approved third level course.

..I hope this is correct, otherwise im in a /panic!

That is correct if you course falls under the free fees scheme sorry should of made that clear

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

Don't forget - by the time you are three years in Ireland you are eligible to apply for a student grant. You are allowed to apply mid-course for a grant once you have reached the three years residence. U don't have to be here for three year at year one of your course.

Advertisement