Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House after becoming infested with black flies

Options
  • 24-06-2010 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone else got a problem with flies coming into the house? Woke up this a.m. and came downstairs to about 25 to 30 black flies. Not bluebottles nor fruit flies. Kinda half way betweeen. Easy to kill but I'm sick of it at this stage going around the house like a lunatic with a towel. These gues are so slow I'm killing them with my hands. Feel like I'm the Karate Kid (might try my reactions with chop sticks). Seriously, don't know where they're coming from as we're keeping doors/windows closed.

I do have compost out the back but had that last year also and we didn't have half the amount we have now. Heard garlic is a deterrant to flies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mardi

Hi pprendeville, I've noticed the same. I've put it down to the warmer weather. There's loads of them around. Got those sticky things that you hang from the ceiling but think they get clever and don't land on them anymore. Someone told me to put mint in the window and I did but it made no difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

If they're not bluebottles / blow-flies / regular house flies then they may be cluster flies, whose eggs are often attached as parasites on earth-worms. Anyone go coarse-fishing fishing or gardening lately?

Advertisement