Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of HTC Desire in meteor

• 24-06-2010 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

Whats the in store cost of the htc desire in meteor shops for smart 30 euro plan?
    Second question is if I were to order it off their website, would I be able to use someone elses credit card for paying for the phone as I don't currently have one. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Cost is 210 Euro if you are with meteor (Bill Pay or PAYG) its 180 in the store if your porting from another network.
    I was previously on meteor PAYG and ported to vodafone (Free Sim), walked next door to meteor and got it for 180. I had happy!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

nice on Hogzy. Can't "bate" the Cork guys for brains:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Cost me €179 in store. I was with Meteor and got an upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've been quoted €180 on upgrade in store. The bastards need to get the feckin things back in stock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

I got mine in Meteor Liffey Valley about two months ago. They seem to be well stocked, I know another guy who got his there mid week with no need to reserve. Either way call a shop before you go just to make sure they have any in stock.

I got it for 180 and then a 12 month contract with the smart connect 25 euro (250 text and 250 call minutes a month) + 250mb a month (5 euro) my bill each month have been about 32 euro including VAT.

I find 250mb enough for me cause i use wireless a lot at home or in cafes. I do use the 3G a bit to browse internet too but have used at most 40mb in a month. If the android 2.2 version allows decent streaming from internet i might use it a lot more..

• Advertisement

bean wrote: »
    I got mine in Meteor Liffey Valley about two months ago. They seem to be well stocked, I know another guy who got his there mid week with no need to reserve. Either way call a shop before you go just to make sure they have any in stock.

Was your friend porting his number from another network? They have stock reserved especially for new customers. I've been ringing all of the stores in the city centre and South Dublin for the past 2 weeks and have only ever found one in stock, which I was told I couldn't buy because I'm already a meteor customer.

Put my name down for one in Dun Laoghaire over 3 weeks ago and have heard nothing from them. Rang them once or twice and they just said they've been getting none in.

which I was told I couldn't buy because I'm already a meteor customer.

have to laugh at the way companies are treating their current customers. Since everyone is doign these deals they should really be ensuring their current customers stick with them.

All mobile phone companies, broadband companies and TV companies you will notice the sales people pick up alot faster than customer support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I've been quoted €180 on upgrade in store. The bastards need to get the feckin things back in stock though.

Also paid €180, BUT Meteor shops have none in stock, however Carphone Warehouse appear to have quite a few:confused:
    Gotta say it is one hell of a "phone". Every new app impresses me, battery no where near as bad as I thought, speed is mindblowing, camera more than adequate. By far the best I have ever owned:)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

I was told I couldn't buy because I'm already a meteor customer.

That does suck, they dont treat existing customers well (discount phones for new users but not for existing customers and now this) Maybe dont volunteer that information. Just tell them you want the phone and dont mention that you are a customer until asked directly. Hopefully they will leave it so late to ask that they may just proceed with the trasaction and sell it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

bean wrote: »
    That does suck, they dont treat existing customers well (discount phones for new users but not for existing customers and now this) Maybe dont volunteer that information. Just tell them you want the phone and dont mention that you are a customer until asked directly. Hopefully they will leave it so late to ask that they may just proceed with the trasaction and sell it to you.

They can't do that. The phones are pre designated. Its not the staff who are trying to keep you from getting a phone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

johnp wrote: »
    Cost me €179 in store. I was with Meteor and got an upgrade.

Same as johnp, I was also already on Meteor and got this on upgrade:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Hogzy wrote: »
    Cost is 210 Euro if you are with meteor (Bill Pay or PAYG) its 180 in the store if your porting from another network.
    I was previously on meteor PAYG and ported to vodafone (Free Sim), walked next door to meteor and got it for 180. I had happy!!!:D

Am I missing something here,
    I can't see this phone listed on their website as PAYG

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Am I missing something here,
    I can't see this phone listed on their website as PAYG

I meant if you are switching from meteor bill pay or PAYG

I meant if you are switching from meteor bill pay or PAYG

Ah right.... Tidy!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Couple of my friends got one each a week ago. Only reason they were able to get them was because they were stepping up from Meteor PAYG to Meteor bill pay. When getting the first one the sales person happened to mention you had to be 'switching' to bill pay to get the phone. When getting the second phone from a different store they were told that there were none in stock. Upon mentioning that they were PAYG and switching to bill pay they were suddenly told that they could have one. It was the last one in stock but apparently that store was getting more stock in the following monday, i.e. last monday. So as far as I can tell stock isn't an issue. Meteor are just holing them back to try and get as many bill pay customers as possible.

Getting tempted to switch from PAYG to Bill Pay for this.
    Do people think it's worth it?

Currently im only spending 20 sheets on credit a month, 30 on Bill Pay is no biggie

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Getting tempted to switch from PAYG to Bill Pay for this.
    Do people think it's worth it?

Currently im only spending 20 sheets on credit a month, 30 on Bill Pay is no biggie

I was the exact same as you €20 per month. I decided to change to bill pay because for the extra €10pm(or €15pm if you get the 12 month contract) you get a mint phone for a cheap price, 1gb of data and a good amount of minutes. It worked for me because i never used more than 200mins or texts per month anyways.
    Do the maths before you switch and check on mymeteor how many minutes you use per month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

€30 will get you 1gb of data usage too which comes in very handy. Plus you can use the Cabbage app on the phone so you can use the meteor webtexts from your phone.

Thanks for the replies Hogzy & SteM

Judging by Hogzy's reply I think i'll do it, all my friends & most of my family are on meteor so that would be grand.
    Nice to read a reply from someone who was in the exact same boat so to speak,thanks for that.

Might try sell my Nokia 5800 & go for it.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

have to laugh at the way companies are treating their current customers. Since everyone is doign these deals they should really be ensuring their current customers stick with them.
    I was in the store on Henry St. a a few weeks back. The man I was dealing with (asking about moving over from another network) said something along the lines of 'for every 10 we get we lose 10 to the other networks'.

• Advertisement

Got fed up of waiting for one from meteor so just went into Carphone Warehouse today and paid the extra €30. I wouldn't be surprised if they were losing lots of customers to other networks over this though. I'd have gone to o2 but for the fact they weren't doing 12 month contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

Doesn't it take a couple of hours for a port to happen?

mwrf wrote: »
    Doesn't it take a couple of hours for a port to happen?

I dunno. But i have ported a total of 5 times in my entire mobile phone lifetime and everytime it happens instantly. Iv never had to wait more than 3-4mins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

I dunno. But i have ported a total of 5 times in my entire mobile phone lifetime and everytime it happens instantly. Iv never had to wait more than 3-4mins!

I've ported provider to provider a bunch of times and it's always taken at least 2 or 3 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Second question is if I were to order it off their website, would I be able to use someone elses credit card for paying for the phone as I don't currently have one. :D

Yes you can - I used someone else's cc to pay for mine (waiting for delivery...better be Monday). But I got a call when they were doing up my contract to say that they needed me to agree to €100 deposit (I will get it back on my bill in 7 months), and I used my own for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Robo, did you get your phone yesterday?

I sent off my contract last Tuesday, they got back to me on Thursday morning saying that I didn't sign page 2 (rookie mistake I know). I then sent page 2 to them in the post that morning and I've no word from them since...

Yelnahs wrote: »
    Robo, did you get your phone yesterday?

I sent off my contract last Tuesday, they got back to me on Thursday morning saying that I didn't sign page 2 (rookie mistake I know). I then sent page 2 to them in the post that morning and I've no word from them since...
    Yep but they sent me the wrong SIM card so had to try 2 shops to get a blank SIM so that the number they assigned to my account could be put onto the SIM, then I was ported back to my number (took about 20 minutes to move from 02 to Meteor)

However, my post office got my phone on Friday (they didn't deliver it), but put a notice into my letterbox on Monday to say that there was a package for me to collect. I was there all day Friday, so was pi55ed that they didn't deliver. It seems to be the usual now as they pressume that they will have to bring packages back to the post office as a lot of people are out when the postman delivers! But maybe call your post office or Meteor if it doesn't come tomorrow....

Btw I am loving the phone!!!

Thanks for that man.

Did they ring you when you're contract was received? Also, do they not courier the phone out to you?

Last thing, what day did you post your contract?

Sorry for all the q's, getting so frustrated waiting on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I posted my contract on a Tuesday night, rang meteor on Thursday, no contract received. Rang again Friday, still not received. Postman left it on the doorstep Monday morning, made a nice pre-breakfast surprise!

Savage phone all round, now trying to get another one for my sister.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that man.

Did they ring you when you're contract was received? Also, do they not courier the phone out to you?

Last thing, what day did you post your contract?

Sorry for all the q's, getting so frustrated waiting on my phone.
    I am female :p

No phone call from them when they received my contract and photocopy of ID & bill as proof of address. I understand the frustration :P
    No they post the phone out to you, no courier company involved!

whoops, my bad :o

Thanks for that. One last thing, did they email you when they dispatched your phone and give you an an post tracking number?

I got a load of gadgets and gizmos for the phone from ebay and they have all arrived, I've got everything ready to root it and and I've a load of apps ready for transfer but still missing the key ingredient, the actual phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

whoops, my bad :o

Thanks for that. One last thing, did they email you when they dispatched your phone and give you an an post tracking number?

I got a load of gadgets and gizmos for the phone from ebay and they have all arrived, I've got everything ready to root it and and I've a load of apps ready for transfer but still missing the key ingredient, the actual phone.

No tracking with mine, postman just left it on the doorstep, rang the bell and walked off.

The meteor box was fairly mangled but the HTC box inside was fine.

Thanks hardcopy.

Itching to get the phone now, praying it arrived this morning.

hardCopy wrote: »
    No tracking with mine, postman just left it on the doorstep, rang the bell and walked off.

The meteor box was fairly mangled but the HTC box inside was fine.
    Mine the same...why is that?

Yelnahs - what stuff did you get from Ebay for it? I forgot all about having to get a new car charger and that, so am on the look out for accessories. Hope you get your phone soon :D

It arrived yesterday, thrilled. Will take a while to get used to (coming from blackberry pearl)

Robo, I bought the following from ebay and all three comes highly recommended!

10 ANTI SCRATCH LCD Screen Protector HTC Desire

CASE-MATE BARELY THERE MATT BLACK CASE FOR HTC DESIRE

IN CAR HOLDER & CAR CHARGER FOR HTC DESIRE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

Hi lads,

I phoned a few Meteor stores and was told out of stock for at least a couple of weeks...phoned one Carphone warehouse and they said they had loads of them in various shops...did the upgrade, paid me 179 euro, bish bash bosh, and I had my new phone. Don't know why other people don't just go to Carphone Warehouse...it's the same odds...they're agents for Meteor...top class phone...have a widget on my desk top for turning wifi/3g on/off with the touch of the screen...very handy...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 oooomy

does anybody know if any of the network providers are selling these phones unlocked and for how much. im in new zealand and none of the networks are offering them so there only available from importers for 850 dollars+
    thinking i might get my brother to post one over instead

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

oooomy wrote: »
    does anybody know if any of the network providers are selling these phones unlocked and for how much. im in new zealand and none of the networks are offering them so there only available from importers for 850 dollars+
    thinking i might get my brother to post one over instead

thanks
    You can buy an unlocked Desire in CPW (as O2 PAYG) for 399 euros. There's a bit of O2 branding when you start it up but beyond that it's unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Im currently on PAYG and ive been wanting to get a new phone for the last while and was thinking either this HTC or the iPhone. Kinda leaning towards the HTC at the moment as i think the iPhone is gonna be crazy expensive.

I can easily get by on €20 a month with free any network texts, so if i wanna get the HTC im gonna have to switch to bill pay and the look of the new Meteor €30 a month plan looks enticing. Can you get free any network texts with this plan or free meteor to meteor call and texts?

Cheers for any help :)

Im currently on PAYG and ive been wanting to get a new phone for the last while and was thinking either this HTC or the iPhone. Kinda leaning towards the HTC at the moment as i think the iPhone is gonna be crazy expensive.

I can easily get by on €20 a month with free any network texts, so if i wanna get the HTC im gonna have to switch to bill pay and the look of the new Meteor €30 a month plan looks enticing. Can you get free any network texts with this plan or free meteor to meteor call and texts?

Cheers for any help :)
    No, but you do get 200 mins and 200 texts.

• Advertisement

No, but you do get 200 mins and 200 texts.

I would text more than i would ring so loads of texts would be a bonus, i rang the cardphone warehouse in the Ashleaf Shopping centre and the guy on the phone said i could get one for €179 with the €30 a month Meteor bill pay and get one of the meteor to calls or any network texts was a little sceptical about that.

You can get that online but is says they are sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I would text more than i would ring so loads of texts would be a bonus, i rang the cardphone warehouse in the Ashleaf Shopping centre and the guy on the phone said i could get one for €179 with the €30 a month Meteor bill pay and get one of the meteor to calls or any network texts was a little sceptical about that.

You can get that online but is says they are sold out.

The phone is cheaper in a Meteor store. If you are porting from another network, you will get, for 35e a month, 200 mins, 200 texts, Free Meteor to Meteor Calls/Texts and 1gb internet.

chrislad wrote: »
    The phone is cheaper in a Meteor store. If you are porting from another network, you will get, for 35e a month, 200 mins, 200 texts, Free Meteor to Meteor Calls/Texts and 1gb internet.

Afaik from reading this and a few other things Meteor do not have any left? I am already with meteor plus if you do it online you will get all that for €30 a month. How much is it in the Meteor store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Some stores have some. I'm pretty sure that online is an 18 month contract for 30e. Can get the same in store.

Afaik from reading this and a few other things Meteor do not have any left? I am already with meteor plus if you do it online you will get all that for €30 a month. How much is it in the Meteor store?
    The €30 online offer is Bill Pay Smart Lite, which is contractless, it cannot be used to subsidize the phone. You'll have to pay full price if you go with that.

Rang around a few places and was getting all different kinds of info, went into the Meteor store on Grafton Street and hopefully should have one by Friday your man said, im not holding my breath thou.

Ended up costing me €140 which i think is decent and got the 18 month contract for €30 hopefully all goes well and i will love it.

Cheers for all the replies folks.

I got mine last week from Meteor online and so did a few other people so I believe they still have them in stock.

A few weeks ago when they were out of stock they said so on their site when you tried to buy one, if its not the case at the moment then they are probably in stock.

Just checked the site now and it says out of stock, really looking forward to it, only had a chance to mess around with it for a few minutes but seems sweet.

Does the video camera have a light on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

Funny that you menti that..I just checked and it doesn't appear to come on for video..it's not a dealbreaker for me anyway..I didn't buy It as a video camera...

The meteor site has them listed again, hopefully that means i can get mine today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement