Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Americans want to be Irish?

• 24-06-2010 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

So almost any American guy/girl I come across have a similar habit of saying "Hey, I'm 25/50/75% Irish!".. When they find out I'm Irish... They go on to say how their great grand uncles mothers sisters aunti's granddaughters brother was from Ireland

This has literally happened me 8 out of 10 americans I speak to

I know it happens to other people aswel, so what are your views?

Do they just wish they could be as amazingly talented and intelligent as the Irish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Because we're awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Two possible responses:

- They want to be one of us because we're so brilliant - everyone's jealous of the Irish

- I know - what's that about? Why would anyone want to be a member of our heap of sh1t race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

It really is because we're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

They want to cling to some kind of ancestry I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Or maybe Irish people just have big egos and an inflated sense of self importance.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I don't think that they necessarily want to be us, they think that they are us....

"My great great great grandaddy was from County Mon-ag-han!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Americans have very little heritage of their own.. I don't mean that in a bad way but they do their best to hold on to the little they have.. which is more than can be said about some Irish people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭smokingman

I think the question should be "why do Irish want to be Americans....like, whateva etc etc <insert other yank lingo here> ..."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Dudess wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to be a member of our heap of sh1t race?

Ooh controversial!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

to be fair , its their heritage, their grandparents etc, if you were living here and your grandparents were Italian you'd be proud of it, and probably would have no problem telling Italians the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sykk wrote: »
    So almost any American guy/girl I come across have a similar habit of saying "Hey, I'm 25/50/75% Irish!".. When they find out I'm Irish... They go on to say how their great grand uncles mothers sisters aunti's granddaughters brother was from Ireland

This has literally happened me 8 out of 10 americans I speak to

I know it happens to other people aswel, so what are your views?

Do they just wish they could be as amazingly talented and intelligent as the Irish?

There is a population of 300 million people all trying to scramble for a unique cultural identity. And as a conversational piece when talking to you. If I meet someone from Spain, I tend to say I have some Spanish ancestry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

So they don't have to feel so guilty about being drunk (or American):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Because they think we're all mad bastards who love getting into bar-fights. Or maybe they see all the jewish and italians being proud of their heritage and they get jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Its ridiculous when Irish people get annoyed If Americans say they are Irish. They are of Irish descent and hey if they want to cling onto that let it be. I take it as a compliment that they would want to be recognised as Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's not really about being Irish, it's about Roots, and if someone thinks she has Irish roots, she'll naturally come to Dublin. In North America, if you aren't a Native American, then you're an immigrant from somewhere.

If you think Dublin has it bad, try Edinburgh in summer time, when it's overrun by either Luvvies from London or US tourists seeking their Scottish roots. There are 4 or 5 times as many Scottish Americans as there are people in Scotland. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Because they are obsessed about heritage so will have done their family tree and because they are american will have nearly every nationality, sure if you tell them your english or something they'll say the same thing, try it out some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A lot of Irish people want to be American too though judging by the accents I hear when I'm stalking women walking out in Donnybrook.

bnt wrote: »
    It's not really about being Irish, it's about Roots, and if someone thinks she has Irish roots, she'll naturally come to Dublin. In North America, if you aren't a Native American, then you're an immigrant from somewhere.

If you think Dublin has it bad, try Edinburgh in summer time, when it's overrun by either Luvvies from London or US tourists seeking their Scottish roots. There are Scottish Americans than there are people in Scotland. :cool:

Yes my great great cousin in america calls himself scotch irish and is obsessed with scotland.:rolleyes: But at the same time supports celtic and converted to catholic!:eek: He even set up his own club... i'm embaressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Its ridiculous when Irish people get annoyed If Americans say they are Irish. They are of Irish descent and hey if they want to cling onto that let it be. I take it as a compliment that they would want to be recognised as Irish.

+1

Its also an oppurtinity to get another nationality, you become close with that country aswell, i love heritage!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

In fairness, I've met Americans with Irish roots that have more love and respect for our lovely little country than most of the people I know that live here. Mad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

In fairness, I've met Americans with Irish roots that have more love and respect for our lovely little country than most of the people I know that live here. Mad really.

Well they would do, they don't have to live here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I know - what's that about? Why would anyone want to be a member of our heap of sh1t race?

heheh is the auld rag out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Most people that I have met love the history part of things and go to great lengths to discover where their ancestors lived which is grand. The ones that annoy me are those who think the IRA and other Republican factions have a place in the future of the island. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Ireland and America have a great deal in common. We are both dominated by Civil War politics and religious loonies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

- I know - what's that about? Why would anyone want to be a member of our heap of sh1t race?
    - Standard Irish media response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

I'm American and Irish.I'm a dualer.

I think you don't realise how many doors it opens for you , its great to be from a country that never pissed off any other nation.

In NY where I grew up its good to be Irish as all the builders unions are controlled and staffed by Irish people and you are well looked after in terms of getting work etc if you are good .

I'm going to Russia soon and theres no way i would have gone in with an american passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think it's a take on the usual "rags to riches" story.
    Plus it's gives you licence to drink.

FearDark wrote: »
    Ooh controversial!
    Auvers wrote: »
    heheh is the auld rag out
    I was giving it as a sample of something that's yawnsomely trotted out by those with an inferiority complex over and over and over and over 'round these parts...

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »
    Most people that I have met love the history part of things and go to great lengths to discover where their ancestors lived which is grand. The ones that annoy me are those who think the IRA and other Republican factions have a place in the future of the island. :/

They all do..

owenc wrote: »
    They all do..
    Wow, you know what every single American claiming Irish ancestry thinks?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I was giving it as a sample of something that's yawnsomely trotted out by those with an inferiority complex over and over and over and over 'round these parts...

Whatever...Dudess has the painters in! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sykk wrote: »
    So why do Americans want to be Irish?

A small percentage a number of years back (from the era of terrorist "Carlos" onwards) wanted to be Irish from a security point of view alone.
    Those with Irish passports used to be safer than those with American passports if they were kidnapped, held hostage on a plane or otherwise at risk security-wise.

Wow, you know what every single American claiming Irish ancestry thinks?!

Yes because when you talk to them about the troubles they blame the unionists and praise the ira!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Because its slightly better than being Italian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

WindSock wrote: »

is that a code for something? I don't follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

because they are of irish ancestry does not make them irish. have they a birth cert from ireland, have they a passport, can they find ireland on the map, can they speak irish no i dont think they can do that.

because there great great great granda was irish doesnt make them irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

In a bar in Mexico ...

American girl overhears me talking.

Her: Hey, you're Irish.

Me: I am to be shuuure.

Her: I'm Irish too.

Me: Ya, whereabouts are you from?

Her: Iowa.

Yes because when you talk to them about the troubles they blame the unionists and praise the ira!:mad:
    Wow, you've met every single American claiming Irish ancestry ever?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

welll a lot of rish did go over there, i think its do with lack of there own history/culture....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

WindSock wrote: »

are you redecorating dudess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

It's probably a lot easier for an American to claim Irish descent than native american Indian descent :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

yes , its one area of history that americans have got correct !!!. maybe they do it because they have a inbuilt sense of justice and like to oppose biggoted prehistoric and rasist ideas you spout on a regular basis ??

welll a lot of rish did go over there, i think its do with lack of there own history/culture....

and apparently germans are the most common ancestry to have their, but i don't see many claiming to have german ancestry.

danbohan wrote: »
    yes , its one area of history that americans have got correct !!!. maybe they do it because they have a inbuilt sense of justice and like to oppose biggoted prehistoric and rasist ideas you spout on a regular basis ??

YOUR EVIL! how dare you praise that horrible organisation!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

To mod feedforward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Because they're not from D4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

and apparently germans are the most common ancestry to have their, but i don't see many claiming to have german ancestry.

thats true, but i beleave a lot of irish, moved there in the famon so thats were my post came from....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was watching wife swap last week (the girlfriends idea, not mine) and there was an american bint that loved her irish roots, she was embarrasing. she was showing the crew around the house at the start and showed them a failte sign, she said to them 'this means welcome and is pronounced felt'. i shuddered

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Identity Crisis!

• Advertisement
Advertisement