Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Americans want to be Irish?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

The 2000 U.S. census asked people to self-report their ancestry. You could id more than one. Overall, 15.2% of respondents claimed German ancestry, and 10.8% claimed Irish ancestry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Augmerson wrote: »
    1276818353856.jpg

There should be a question mark after 'what'. I think you should avail of the new and improved education system.;)

USA USA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Feeona wrote: »
    There should be a question mark after 'what'. I think you should avail of the new and improved education system.;)

USA USA

Your trolling surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Why is it annoying? :confused:

Because she runs down british people and goes on like a general nationalist and that does my head in because everything Britain does is crap to them and they want a united ireland.

The 2000 U.S. census asked people to self-report their ancestry. You could id more than one. Overall, 15.2% of respondents claimed German ancestry, and 10.8% claimed Irish ancestry.

Its funny how the scotch irish number is similar to scotland when there is far my scottish people in scotland then ulster scots here, which leads me to the conclusion that people just tick off the one they want, i mean theres bound to be far more scottish americans in america than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

wonton wrote: »
    and i suppose halloween which is actually irish aswel

Never thought of Halloween, that's two days the Irish have influenced which is celebrated globally.
    I can't think of any other nation which has this (if there is an obvious one tell me).

owenc wrote: »
    Its funny how the scotch irish number is similar to scotland when there is far my scottish people in scotland then ulster scots here, which leads me to the conclusion that people just tick off the one they want, i mean theres bound to be far more scottish americans in america than that.

It's self-identification. There was a study where the interviewer asked people to initially self-identify, and then it came out in interviews that they had a more varied background than they originally indicated. People basically opt to choose an identity.

That said, why are you insisting that there may be more or less of certain groups based on current population data? The bulk of European migration to the US took place between 1840-1920; some of these "states" - including the Republic of Ireland - didn't even exist yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It's self-identification. There was a study where the interviewer asked people to initially self-identify, and then it came out in interviews that they had a more varied background than they originally indicated. People basically opt to choose an identity.

That said, why are you insisting that there may be more or less of certain groups based on current population data? The bulk of European migration to the US took place between 1840-1920; some of these "states" - including the Republic of Ireland - didn't even exist yet.

Irish people existed though right? *looks up wikipedia*

Because she runs down british people and goes on like a general nationalist and that does my head in because everything Britain does is crap to them and they want a united ireland.

A lot of people who strongly identify as Irish in the US would like to see a united Ireland. People where my mom grew up in Chicago are more nationalist than most of the Irish I've met in Dublin. One of my mom's older neighbors was an ardent republican who spent time in Kilmainham, and another neighbor was an IRA gun runner during the Anglo-Irish war. For that generation, and their kids and grandchildren, the British were and are THE problem in Irish politics.

A lot of people who strongly identify as Irish in the US would like to see a united Ireland. People where my mom grew up in Chicago are more nationalist than most of the Irish I've met in Dublin. One of my mom's older neighbors was an ardent republican who spent time in Kilmainham, and another neighbor was an IRA gun runner during the Anglo-Irish war. For that generation, and their kids and grandchildren, the British were and are THE problem in Irish politics.

Yea they inherited that and probably heard propaganda etc about what was happening so would become even more bitter, btw my granny isn't american.

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »
    Irish people existed though right? *looks up wikipedia*

I'm just drawing a distinction between nations and states. Germanic people existed as a nation, even though they weren't all within the borders of the German state at the time. My general point was that it's an impossible task to "match" how people self identify today with historical "state" population data, since the two often weren't the same.

Yea they inherited that and probably heard propaganda etc about what was happening so would become even more bitter, btw my granny isn't american.

Or they heard it from relatives, friends, and family. Or saw it for themselves. My mother still remembers seeing the aftermath of the 1969 Bombay Street bombings on the evening news in America.

And if your granny isn't American then I think I missed your point; is your problem then the fact that she is a nationalist?

Or they heard it from relatives, friends, and family. Or saw it for themselves. My mother still remembers seeing the aftermath of the 1969 Bombay Street bombings on the evening news in America.

And if your granny isn't American then I think I missed your point; is your problem then the fact that she is a nationalist?

Yes thats why i was saying that i did not like this.

Yes thats why i was saying that i did not like this.

Don't like what? That Americans identify as Irish, that Americans identify as Irish nationalists, that anyone identifies as Irish nationalists, or all of the above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

whats more of a concern is irish that think they're american.. or 'british'! whatever that stands for in 2010..

the battle for young hearts & minds via media is a dangerous thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

brummytom wrote: »
    : "Heeey, I'm Irish!".. 'No you're not'; but I've been asked many times if I'm Irish, I prefer to just reply "I'm English, from Irish stock"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKoS5X4SMrY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

fontanalis wrote: »
    And it's no more embarassing than some Irish people claiming JFK was Irish.

Interestingly, JFK's father hated being Irish, he even shunned his Irish heritage so he could join the WASPS, however hard he tried to shun his heritage the WASPS still looked down on him as a 'Paddy' which he detested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

It's not only an American thing kiwis do it too. I'm always getting told people are Irish when they find out where I am from. It's nowhere near like in the states though. Kiwis will distinguish between being descended from Irish people or having Irish heritage as opposed to "being Irish" in the way that Americans will say "I am Irish" but have never been to Ireland.

A friend of mine is big in to the whole Irish heritage thing. She has clan reunions and everything where they meet all their distant Irish relatives (that are all kiwis too). She's desparate to move to Ireland and wants to get married in Dublin. Kiwis are also big in to being Scottish. Hamish and Lachlan are really common names here (I know 3 of each - one of them a guy at work's son who was name Lachlan as the family were "Scottish" but left Scotland a few generations ago) and a lot of people really cling to their Scottish heritage. It just comes from living somewhere where most people are descended from immigrants (except if you're maori which has a strong culture and even they emigrated here too originally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

watna wrote: »
    It's not only an American thing kiwis do it too. I'm always getting told people are Irish when they find out where I am from. It's nowhere near like in the states though. Kiwis will distinguish between being descended from Irish people or having Irish heritage as opposed to "being Irish" in the way that Americans will say "I am Irish" but have never been to Ireland.

A friend of mine is big in to the whole Irish heritage thing. She has clan reunions and everything where they meet all their distant Irish relatives (that are all kiwis too). She's desparate to move to Ireland and wants to get married in Dublin. Kiwis are also big in to being Scottish. Hamish and Lachlan are really common names here (I know 3 of each - one of them a guy at work's son who was name Lachlan as the family were "Scottish" but left Scotland a few generations ago) and a lot of people really cling to their Scottish heritage. It just comes from living somewhere where most people are descended from immigrants (except if you're maori which has a strong culture and even they emigrated here too originally).

thats interesting, i didnt realise that new zealand was home to many of irish stock. if someone from any country with an irish grandfather etc. said to me they were irish id gladly accept them as such. i take that as a compliment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bobthefarmer

mindydawne wrote: »
    I'm American, and from my experience, there are a lot more German decendants in America. aka most of the people I knew/worked with/ever spoken about this were from German heritage. Yeah, sure... there are a lot of people claiming Irish ancestry- and they are REALLY proud and vocal about it. The people who claim something like 1/8 on their mothers side are a bit ridiculous, but well... there's a real longing for your roots kind of thing when your family decended from another country. I wouldn't say it's Americans wanting to be Irish, it's more Americans identifying with their ancestors homeland. It's a bit different when you know your family lived in the same country generation after generation. I imagine in a few hundred years or so, most Americans will just consider themselves... American.

You bet! I am proud to be 'Merican. My Scotch-Irish Name is secure although I am likely 88% German ancestry. That certainly does not make me a mutt. I have a tremendously Godly heritage, been blessed by my parents to know a full six generations on all sides, can trace my roots deep into European history. Our ancestrial roots lie in emigration due to religious persecution of various forms: Hugeunot, Ulster-Irish Presbyterians - Covententors, Prussians, Old German Lutherans, Austrian Exhultants, Friends of Menno, etc. God has truly blessed our Native Land. May we confess our failures that he continue to do so. Our land has always been open to the Cold, Wet, Hungry, Persecuted, and lately, just about anybody. We need God fearing citizens!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

You bet! I am proud to be 'Merican. My Scotch-Irish Name is secure although I am likely 88% German ancestry. That certainly does not make me a mutt. I have a tremendously Godly heritage, been blessed by my parents to know a full six generations on all sides, can trace my roots deep into European history. Our ancestrial roots lie in emigration due to religious persecution of various forms: Hugeunot, Ulster-Irish Presbyterians - Covententors, Prussians, Old German Lutherans, Austrian Exhultants, Friends of Menno, etc. God has truly blessed our Native Land. May we confess our failures that he continue to do so. Our land has always been open to the Cold, Wet, Hungry, Persecuted, and lately, just about anybody. We need God fearing citizens!:D

is that why your building that big fence to keep the mexicans out

edit: bloody hell this thread was last posted in a year ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 XwintoX

Ok, so basically, we are so incredibly sexy:) We may not all be tanned or all of the men don't have washboard abs, but were so incredibly deadly!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Our land has always been open to the Cold, Wet, Hungry, Persecuted, and lately, just about anybody. We need God fearing citizens!:D
    Except when Jews were being murdered en masse in the concentration camps and you turned refugees away because your government was/is full of anti-semitic pr!cks.

But please, do continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

brummytom wrote: »
    I'm from an Irish background - my family have only been English since the 1950s.

I know I'm not American, but I don't see the problem with anyone who has a background from a particular culture declaring that fact.

I'd never describe myself as Irish, I do hate (non-Irish) people that do that: "Heeey, I'm Irish!".. 'No you're not'; but I've been asked many times if I'm Irish, I prefer to just reply "I'm English, from Irish stock"

English built, Irish designed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

I was at a house party in Vancouver and this Canadian tried to convince me he was 1/26 Irish and about 20 mins later he was tellin this other fella that he was 1/15 spanish????

I mean is it self identity insecurity or what?

(Canadians do it too!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

What sounds cooler?

My ancestors came from Ireland with nothing but the skin on their boots to escape discrimination from the Imperial Brits. They came to America and fought for their freedom. We now commemorate this by getting wasted every St Pattys day, remembering how our Irish rebel great great grandparents fought in the civil war to free the slaves!

Or.

My ancestors are English. Probably the most privileged ethnic group in history. Yes they killed Irish people when they were in England. Yes they killed the Natives during expansionism. Yes they owned slave plantations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

If they want to claim Irish heritage,let them, who gives a fuck? If they visit the country to research their heritage and spend a few quid too, all the better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

1.) A lot of American's really do have some small amount of Irish heritage (because so many Irish wanted to leave Ireland and become American).

2.) They only mention it to you because you are Irish. They are making conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 XwintoX

Siuin wrote: »
    Except when Jews were being murdered en masse in the concentration camps and you turned refugees away because your government was/is full of anti-semitic pr!cks.

But please, do continue.
    Not every country played nice back in History:) Thats the thing, people were different in history and they had less laws and such. Its not like were like that now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 powderfinger1

Kiera wrote: »
    Because we're awesome!

this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

They don't they just like to acknowledge their heritage like most other people. Really arrogant thread btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Aren't they just bragging that their ancestors were clever enough to run away?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Dudess wrote: »
    - I know - what's that about? Why would anyone want to be a member of our heap of sh1t race?

Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Pathetic

Swish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Americans are gullible people and this is part of that characteristic. Mind you they become "USA! USA! USA" quick enough when provoked.

XwintoX wrote: »
    Not every country played nice back in History:) Thats the thing, people were different in history and they had less laws and such. Its not like were like that now!
    'Back in History' -- do try to remember that it was less than 70 years ago, right? If someone is going to brag that their country "has always been open to the Cold, Wet, Hungry, Persecuted, and lately, just about anybody" then they need to take a long hard look at what their history is and even how they treat the 'cold, wet, hungry, persecuted' today. The world has hardly come on leaps and bounds since then, and some aspects of morality are timeless. If anything, given the US's actions in the past few decades I'd say they've been on a downward spiral since then in regards to upholding basic human dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Siuin wrote: »

But please, do continue.

Unlike Holy Catholic Ireland, who took in a couple of hundred, the US only took in 30,000.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

For some reason this reminds me of a conversation I had with an American friend of mine.

Me: "I've never met an Eastern European I didn't like. I've always found Polish/Belrusian/Russian people to be generous."

Her: "I don't like Polish people. All the ones I met were bastards."

Me: "Are there are a lot of Polish people in your town?"

Her: "Well they're third generation Polish."

Me: "So they're American really."

Her: "Oh..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

my fiancee (who is canadian) is always being told by customers how they're irish. she asks what part they're from, they usually say "my mother was from belfast". i can't wait for the day she says "you mean you're british then?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

and they wonder why people don't like them...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

O.P. We love people for being quaint but admire them for being smart . The U.S. is smart . Ireland is quaint . Have i got it right here ?
    Or from a littl' ole shack way down in Artlone to
    A gee whizz Penthouse on fifth Avenue .....once in a while you'll
    wonder .......am i missin' sumethin. ? Have i got it right ? NY AIN'
    got everythin' an europe sez we aint got no class an all dat ..

IrishAm wrote: »
    Unlike Holy Catholic Ireland, who took in a couple of hundred, the US only took in 30,000.

:confused:
    Don't particularly see what point you're trying to make here?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Why do the Irish want to be this weird fusion of Americans and English?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Andy!! wrote: »
    Why do the Irish want to be this weird fusion of Americans and English?

We like to get rid of the 'bog' that everybody else abroad wants to see hear and experience .
    Opposites attract sometimes .

Advertisement