Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

De-taring a car

• 24-06-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

There is probably already a thread about this but.......
    I have a hatchback corolla that is covered in tar.
    The only place there isnt tar is the roof!
    Whats the best way of getting it off?
    Ive heard of washing, then petol, then pollish but I dont want to damage the paint or will it?
    Ive heard of mixing petrol and diesel aswel or buying de-tar stuff??
    Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There is probably already a thread about this but.......
    I have a hatchback corolla that is covered in tar.
    The only place there isnt tar is the roof!
    Whats the best way of getting it off?
    Ive heard of washing, then petol, then pollish but I dont want to damage the paint or will it?
    Ive heard of mixing petrol and diesel aswel or buying de-tar stuff??
    Any suggestions??

Our valeter swears by this stuff: http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Yes there are several threads on here somewhere. But...

If you have a lot to get off, just get a can of Holtz Tar & General spot remover. It's brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Used the turtlewax product found it excellent. Still needs elbow grease though. Will take about 4 hours to do whole car. In my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭corolla 1991

I might try out the turlewax so...
    But has anyone any experience of using petrol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I've used the autoglym stuff before which gave great results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

As suggested the Holtz Tar remover is outstanding. Have used it and in less than 2 hours the car was like new. Its only €7/8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I used that stuff a while ago and I found it useless, I am fairly sure it was the turtlewax product.

+1, it genuinely removes as much tar as normal water. It's so bad as a tar remover I nearly wrote to them about it.

I use Trafalgar tar and glue remover, it's very very good. Best sprayed on, then left for 20 seconds, then another quick spray and wipe off.

You can also get tar removing sponges (Halfrauds is prob the best place to get it) and they make the job ten times easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Completely disagree. Used it last weekend and it removed 100% of the tar. Spray on leave for 1 min and wipe off with pressure. Others may be better but it's not completely useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

+1 for the autoglym when i got my car had a fair bit of tar on it and the autglym plus a bit of elbow grease worked perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

WD-40 Does the job, just spray it on the effected area leave for a couple of mins and gently wipe off with some hot soapy water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

gpf101 wrote: »
    Completely disagree. Used it last weekend and it removed 100% of the tar. Spray on leave for 1 min and wipe off with pressure. Others may be better but it's not completely useless.

I wouldn't recommend that TBH tar can have all types of grit also and could damage your paintwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Autosmart tardis is very good.

I'll wait for the petrol brigade to roll in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

+1 for the autoglym when i got my car had a fair bit of tar on it and the autglym plus a bit of elbow grease worked perfectly.

+2, but will all removers, eblow grease is required. Tar removers also removes any wax you may or may not have on your car, meaning you need to re-wax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Neilw wrote: »
    Autosmart tardis is very good.

I'll wait for the petrol brigade to roll in :D

True True I must get a gallon of it sometime. Wd-40 is good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

+3 for autoglym, they have a product called " ultimate tar remover" and it really does what it says. It's easy and effective to use and removed all the tar from my silver car without me breaking into a sweat . so go on and get it i bought mine in halfords.

all the best

brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

I might try out the turlewax so...
    But has anyone any experience of using petrol?

Used petrol:eek: several times on my car and it done the job OK,just make sure you wax the area you cleaned after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭thebull09

Use "Holts gel tar remover" im telling you , you will not find anything better just spray a panal at a time leave for about 1 minute ad wipe off no elbow grease need whats so ever, i would not use anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Have a look on http://detailingworld.com/

they do product reviews and stuff, plus the majority of them are in the detailing business so have a lot of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Clay bars take tar off in no time.

I got funny looks while I was doing it though. I couldnt stop myself singing "I wanna take you to a clay bar, clay bar"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

okane1 wrote: »
    +2, but will all removers, eblow grease is required.
    Tardis disolves the tar and it just dribbles off, very little work required. Spray on leave for a few mins and wipe off.
    Jumpy wrote: »
    Clay bars take tar off in no time.

I got funny looks while I was doing it though. I couldnt stop myself singing "I wanna take you to a clay bar, clay bar"

It's a bit of a waste of an expensive clay bar removing tar with it.

• Advertisement

so many suggestions, and then the next comment saying that one is useless!!:rolleyes:
    so now im just more confused then when I started!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

so many suggestions, and then the next comment saying that one is useless!!:rolleyes:

Don't worry about it, there are several products on the market that are good and will do the job.
    Now it probably is easier to drop in Halfords shop and buy a bottle of ar remover. It will do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Thats men and motors for ya!!!!!!!1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Clay bar and Poorboys World Spray and Wipe - works a gem!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Valet Pro Citrus Tar & Glue Remover works an absolute treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Mc Love wrote: »
    Clay bar and Poorboys World Spray and Wipe - works a gem!!
    Can't beat a claybar. If you want to spend a day cleaning your car ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just go and get a litre of petrol and one of these
    Consumer-Products4_250x250.jpg

Best of the lot.. :pac::pac:

Then again...
    DO NOT...!!

Get some tar remover. (Tardis appears to have the highest rating)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

I'm almost 50 and i have been using petrol to remove tar from car bodies since i was 8. don't smoke, wipe the area with a petrol soaked rag, let sit for a mo' then wipe over harder, this will remove all road muck. use detergent or car shampoo to wash residue off car, polish or do what ever you do. Bottled tar remover lmao. don't get me started on clay bars, why would you rub a solid material over your car with potential for scratching. Nuts i tell you clay bars are for idiots. If you don't beleive me the clay bar captures solids off your car as you rub and re rub them into the paint. petrol disolves tar and most other crap into liquid and gets rubbed away. noone ever scratched their car with a petrol soaked rag can the clay bar say the same ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well I have used clay bars and never noticed any damage - leaves the surface totally smooth - gives your arm some work out though! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Clay bars were originally used for removing overspray in bodyshops. They have a place if used correctly (so not for idiots despite some peoples opinions). Also good for things like tree sap. A tar remover is best for tar spots as the solvents soften and dissolve it first (takes just a few minutes) reducing the need for rubbing to merely wiping off. The best product for removing fallout is called Iron Cut. It is a liquid spray solution which turns contaminants like rail dust and brake dust into a liquid state. So they rinse off. Cleans beneath the surface. Clay bars do not. Much better overall than clay (far less friction involved) but IC is not for removing tar.

http://www.aquartz.net/iron-cut.html

Can't beat a claybar. If you want to spend a day cleaning your car ;)

Aye! I can't understand people who use clay bars to de tar the car, I de tar it first and then use the clay bar! If the car was any way covered in tar you'd be at it all evening trying to de tar it with a claybar.

If I'm not majorily busy this evening I'll do a demo of that Turtle wax tar remover, because I'm convinced it's sh*te

I'm not majorily busy this evening I'll do a demo of that Turtle wax tar remover, because I'm convinced it's sh*te

You might aswell spray fresh cream onto the tar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I use cellulose thinners and it works very well

To take off tar or paintwork???? Or does the tar come off with the paint? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

I know what you mean. If you use Holtz, Autoglm or even many other of the products mentioned, they'll all do the job just as good. It's just a matter of preference!!

• Advertisement

I'd only ever use thinners to remove other paint from the car if it was scratched etc., I'm sure there are ALOT of lighter stuff you could use to get off than that thinners!

well the mother is after coming home with some german tar remover called PINGO, and got some turtle wax for a bit of a shine after!!...time for a day of scrubbing:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

holts tar remover gel is one of the best products you can get for removing heavy tar spots. tardis is good too but harder to come across and can only be got in a 5L can afaik.
    clay bar will remove light tar spots but i wouldnt recomend using it for that purpose, kind of a waste. use it after you remove all the tar!

Advertisement