Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Pavement- Broken Ankle

Options
  • 24-06-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I dont know if I am posting in the right place- but any advice appreciated.

I'm 21 weeks pregnant. Last Fri evening I was walking on Dame Street and the pavement was a bit uneven. Went over on my ankle- ended up in A&E needing a plaster cast as its broken. Luckily baby bump is fine, but I am in constant pain, and I am struggling to get around on the crutches. I live in a duplex apartment- 3 flights of stairs- so I havent been home since, have to stay with my parents, and my hubby has had to take some time off to look after my 3 year old. I work from home as a freelance accountant, so far this week have got very little work done as I cant sit at laptop for any length of time. Basically- a disaster!!

Anyway, have I any 'leg to stand on' (pardon the pun) with the council for compensation? Usually I would just put up with something like this, but its causing me so much distress and affecting all areas of my life, and others. I am also worried about how long it will take to get back to normal, as obviously with being pregnant I am getting heavier each week which will surely impact on my ankles ability to bear weight? Also as I get bigger its going to get harder to get around on crutches, and its pretty much impossible already.

A lovely lasy came out of a shope beside where I fell to help me, and she said that the path has been lethal since the bad weather and she has seen a few people fall in the same spot. I have got my hubby to go and take photos just in case its repaired soon....

I'm not usually the litigious type but this has really caused me pain and suffering....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You'd need to talk to a solicitor.

Why can't you sit at your laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Hi,

I dont know if I am posting in the right place- but any advice appreciated.

I'm 21 weeks pregnant. Last Fri evening I was walking on Dame Street and the pavement was a bit uneven. Went over on my ankle- ended up in A&E needing a plaster cast as its broken. Luckily baby bump is fine, but I am in constant pain, and I am struggling to get around on the crutches. I live in a duplex apartment- 3 flights of stairs- so I havent been home since, have to stay with my parents, and my hubby has had to take some time off to look after my 3 year old. I work from home as a freelance accountant, so far this week have got very little work done as I cant sit at laptop for any length of time. Basically- a disaster!!

Anyway, have I any 'leg to stand on' (pardon the pun) with the council for compensation? Usually I would just put up with something like this, but its causing me so much distress and affecting all areas of my life, and others. I am also worried about how long it will take to get back to normal, as obviously with being pregnant I am getting heavier each week which will surely impact on my ankles ability to bear weight? Also as I get bigger its going to get harder to get around on crutches, and its pretty much impossible already.

A lovely lasy came out of a shope beside where I fell to help me, and she said that the path has been lethal since the bad weather and she has seen a few people fall in the same spot. I have got my hubby to go and take photos just in case its repaired soon....

I'm not usually the litigious type but this has really caused me pain and suffering....

Go speak to a solicitor and do not say anything more here, you never know who is watching :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

They might be able to cast some light over here :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633

I wonder does anybody know how to lay a concrete slab in Dublin these days , the amount of times I have tripped over a badly laid pavement is too many to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Oh God....it's the American 'sue everyone' culture!!!!

It's not like the ground dissapeared from under you. It's just as a bit of 'uneven pavement' as you described it. Hardly a major, unexpected hazard.

I'm sorry, but you are an adult and therefore capable of watching where you are going. If you didn't pay attention, tripped over and got injured, then it's your own fault.

I'd love to see what would happen if you tried to walk across some rocky terrain. You'd be falling over every 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You can sue for falling over?

ka-ching!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Oh God....it's the American 'sue everyone' culture!!!!

It's not like the ground dissapeared from under you. It's just as a bit of 'uneven pavement' as you described it. Hardly a major, unexpected hazard.

I'm sorry, but you are an adult and therefore capable of watching where you are going. If you didn't pay attention, tripped over and got injured, then it's your own fault.

I'd love to see what would happen if you tried to walk across some rocky terrain. You'd be falling over every 5 seconds.

Rabbit,I wonder would you have the same view if you were to trip over an uneven pavement?. Your after hours response isn't welcome here.

hotelaccounts, as others have suggested: Seek legal advice from a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jeeze lads give the girl a break (no don't she'll sue for breaks :p )...

Seek professional legal advice, and I hope you recover quickly..

And and best of luck with the pregnancy.

Sorry OP I'm going to lock the thread as we're not allowed give legal advice here. We're simply not qualified.

However there is a legal forum on boards.ie but I'd advise you to read their charter before asking this question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement