Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainee Solicitor-worth doing the AITI?

Options
  • 24-06-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi, I am a trainee solicitor working in a sole traders. I plan to stay here until I qualify, get at least 1 years’ PQE and then set up a general practice on my own.
    When I was in Blackhall, I heard loads of people going on about the tax exams as the ideal way to get ahead in the profession. Talk of big money, increased job security etc., was rife. I thought that they would be interesting and would be worthwhile doing from a career perspective and I enrolled in Part 1. (2exemptions)
    The problem I’m having now though is that I find it very boring, the lecturers terrible and the lectures themselves way too long – 9 hours tax lecture – are they trying to kill someone?
    I would love some advice on the following:
    1) Do they get more interesting? It’s fine if they get more difficult, but I’d have a tough time doing them if they get any more boring.
    2) How useful do you think these exams would be to a person in a general law practice?
    3) I heard that clients rarely go to small firms for tax advice. Is this true? I never ever ever want to work for large firm, so this is very important info!
    4) Will the AITIs send my Personal Indemnity Insurance even further through the roof? (Sole traders being hit hardest ATM)
    5) Is completing Part 1 completely pointless if you're not interested in pursuing it further? I did hear Part 2 has some application for sole traders... What about if you were to drop it after Part 2?
    6) What, if you were me, would you do??? I have never in my life dropped something before, but I am seriously rethinking my decision to sit these....
    7) General advice???

Oh- I should probably add in here that when I do something and put decent effort in, I usually enjoy it, but I'm not looking at it from that perspective - I only want an evaluation of it's use to me in my profession. I don't want to do any more serious studying "for fun." I will do fun study for fun. How to design your clothes, how to make 1million dishes from ginger and the like...

THANKS!!!
    SIMPLYTHE

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hi there. I'm afraid you're in the wrong place as the Help desk is only for people experiencing problems with the site or querying a moderator decision. However you may like to try the Legal Discussion forum instead.

Btw, there's no need to re-format your text, the default format is fine. :)

Advertisement