Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

singularity

Options
  • 24-06-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

game is out in a week or so here, out in mainland europe parts since yesterday on ps3, 360 and pc(leaked online)

looks like bioshock meets half life, same developers as wolfenstein and starting to get very good reviews, here is a 9/10(sweedish)
    http://www.gamereactor.se/recensioner/23173/Singularity/

strange there was no talk of this in e3 this year considering the show was a disapointment games wise

anybody looking forward to this as much as I?

Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Thats odd, my local Xtra Vision have this for sale since last Friday! Looks fairly boring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Youtube link fixed.
    Looks good alright.... maybe a good one to rent?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just saw it was a raven software game and therefore I've no interest. Raven have been churning out mediocrity using ID tech for the last ages and nothing of theirs since Hexen has impressed me at all.

Maybe it's being snuck out before the reviews thrash it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Retr0gamer wrote: »

it is very possible alright. there is a small part of me that wishes this is the case as i have a hoooge backlog of games to get through.:D

clearly not a soldier of fortune fan i see?

personally i thought that wolfenstein was under rated and quiete solid(then again i was a big fan of the prequel)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

clearly not a soldier of fortune fan i see?

Take away the quite frankly ridiculous and childish gore and the excellent first level and the game is mediocre and gets boring long before you are a third of the way through. The Iraq levels were fairly racist as well. As for SoF 2, awful game with some terrible NPC AI that shot you if you got too far ahead of them, non existant research on the science in the game (a virus that only affects humans? Yeah that's how most of them work missus biologist with very little spesies crossover), boring levels, Enemy AI that could pin point you perfectly from half a level away with a perfectly thrown grenade and the biggest waste of Mark Hamills excellent acting talents. Not to mention the worst stealth level in any game ever with stealth mechanics that the team admitted didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Environment effects look nice enough (go can crushing!) but I'm suspicious when games like this are released with nary a word or preview, although I vaguely remember a critical preview in Edge a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

just had a quick blast of it and it seems great fun so far

8/10 on Eurogamer.
    Going to rent this .... sounds like fun.

Take away the quite frankly ridiculous and childish gore and the excellent first level and the game is mediocre and gets boring long before you are a third of the way through. The Iraq levels were fairly racist as well. As for SoF 2, awful game with some terrible NPC AI that shot you if you got too far ahead of them, non existant research on the science in the game (a virus that only affects humans? Yeah that's how most of them work missus biologist with very little spesies crossover), boring levels, Enemy AI that could pin point you perfectly from half a level away with a perfectly thrown grenade and the biggest waste of Mark Hamills excellent acting talents. Not to mention the worst stealth level in any game ever with stealth mechanics that the team admitted didn't work.

I can see how some could find faults with both games, they are not technical advances by any means..

sof2- completely hooked in to the gore of the then, current computer games. violence was a large selling point in the market after Turok on the n64 made a breakththrough in the sub-genre(remember shooting a guy in the neck, and the blood would spurt out of his neck?:)) and just really enjoyed the game for what it was regardless of its faults

wolfenstein- first level was great alright, quality ent downhill too, but i got a kick from playing a sequel for a game that essentially got me in to playing first person shooters(along with hl1)

now wolfenstein is an exception to the rule for myself, of not playing through a campaign of a top quality game these days as there is just too many games to play and not enough time, i don't play multiplayer as i have an incredible amount of games to get through, now if you excuse me i must get back to mexico in rdr:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I thought it was being released today?I'll read a few reviews first before I decide,I remember seeing a preview of this in pc zone or something and it looked really cool.

• Advertisement

Its out. I rented from my local XV.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

any good?

Unfortunately, I don't have my 360 in work. I've been told it might be a distraction ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Just saw it was a raven software game and therefore I've no interest. Raven have been churning out mediocrity using ID tech for the last ages and nothing of theirs since Hexen has impressed me at all.

Retract that statement now. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - Excellent game. That is all :D

Mr E wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't have my 360 in work. I've been told it might be a distraction ....

ah fair enough so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

strikes me as a cross between bioshock (good game) and Timeshift (generically poor with flashes of genius).

I'll be sitting firmly on the fence on this one until we see something more concrete to get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

anyone played it ?

what do you think....

I've played the first 3 hours or so. It starts off as another generic FPS. A handful of enemies, some plot exposition, a small bit of time travelling, but still pretty dull.

I think its fair to say that there is a big jump in quality once you receive your time control powers. There was one battle against multiple enemies where you're shotgunning some of them, catching explosive barrels that were thrown at you out of the air with a gravity gun (like HL2) and zapping others with time control powers to slow them down. At that point, it just clicked and wasn't boring any more.

Puzzles are really good, especially when you have to use time manipulation. I applauded the designers when I figured out how to pass a seemingly impassible dead end (very clever solution).

On the downside, its incredibly linear. No scope for exploration (yet anyway) - you just go from room to room down the only available route.

Worth a rental (which is what I did), or hang on for a price drop. I wouldn't pay €50 for it, and its supposed to be 7 or 8 hours long. Multiplayer is supposed to be pretty decent, though.

To address Retr0gamers earlier point, despite it being a Raven game, it shows surprising restraint when it comes to violence.

Heh, only joking.... Its still SOF2 levels of violence - limbs go flying, you get gushing necks when heads are blown off, and its completely over the top....

Think I'll rent this during the wk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Anyone that wants this on the ps3/360 :

Trade in any game and get singularity for €15(says 19.99 on the poster though)

That's what I done.game you trade has to sell for 15 second hand which isn't hard hen it's in gamestop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Thanks, I was looking to get this on the cheap.

Really enjoying this now. Some really great set pieces too.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Thought it was going to be a really generic shooter, but after the first while, it really sucks you in. Definitely the best "powers" I've seen in a while, even if you do become an unstoppable tank by the end, it's still fun.
    Atmosphere is pretty good too, not sure about replayability though, little to none.
    Multiple endings are great though, even went through the same 5 minute dialogue just to see the other ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Saw on another forum that there are problems with the texture streaming in this game but there appears to be a fix for it made by someone in the gaming community.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Saw on another forum that there are problems with the texture streaming in this game but there appears to be a fix for it made by someone in the gaming community.

Much simplier tool to do it automatically: http://www.playwrite-blog.net/tools-and-utilities/singularity-texture-patch/

Finished it a few minutes ago, it was good but not great. The game started to drag on towards then end with a slow down in new abilities and lots enemies to plow through. Still enjoyed it though and would recommend it if its going at a decent price.

EDIT: Wow, the game has changed massively since the video posted at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Where's the best/cheapest place to buy it lads?
    I rang up Game and HMV and they both don't have it. Infact, Game said they don't have it on their system and Gamestop said that it was remove from their system due to a problem getting it. Gamestop said they have it but for €44.99. Bit pricey for my liking. Anywhere else?

Where's the best/cheapest place to buy it lads?
    I rang up Game and HMV and they both don't have it. Infact, Game said they don't have it on their system and Gamestop said that it was remove from their system due to a problem getting it. Gamestop said they have it but for €44.99. Bit pricey for my liking. Anywhere else?

i know gamestop were doing a 'trade in any game with a resale value of 15e in-store and get the game for 15e'(advertised as 20)
    prob the best one, looking forward to giving this a whirl after i finish heavy rain and finish study.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

i know gamestop were doing a 'trade in any game with a resale value of 15e in-store and get the game for 15e'(advertised as 20)
    prob the best one, looking forward to giving this a whirl after i finish heavy rain and finish study.
    Was looking to get it on PC. The only other place I can find it is Direct2Drive. And that's £34.99/€50. Anyone know of anywehere else to get it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Was looking to get it on PC. The only other place I can find it is Direct2Drive. And that's £34.99/€50. Anyone know of anywehere else to get it?

I saw it in GameSpot for 45 euro which is crap when console versions are like 30 euro

Advertisement