Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone in Australia?

• 24-06-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

I have relatives going to Australia this month and I am just wondering whether it would be worth asking them to pick me up an iPhone there? Preferably a 4 but wouldn't mind a 3gs which I could load with iOS.

Are they much cheaper there? I'd be buying a sim-free unit. How much should I be expecting to pay?

And would there be problems with the network when I do get it to Ireland? Or customs for that matter?

Thanks in advance,
    Jackobyte.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭JohnC.

4 is not out there yet either. No set date yet, just "July" same as us. Don't know about getting unlocked SIM-free models of 3GS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Kahless wrote: »
    4 is not out there yet either. No set date yet, just "July" same as us. Don't know about getting unlocked SIM-free models of 3GS.
    Well they will be there for 6 weeks so whenever it is released doesn't really matter as long at it is before August 7th.

Is there any mention of price yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Well they will be there for 6 weeks so whenever it is released doesn't really matter as long at it is before August 7th.

Is there any mention of price yet?

Did you try the Apple Australia website?

whiterebel wrote: »
    Did you try the Apple Australia website?
    Just checking that now.

Seems about €600 for a simfree 8gb 3gs. Don't think I will be getting one after all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seems about €600 for a simfree 8gb 3gs. Don't think I will be getting one after all.

Cheaper than that ordering it through apple's irish store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

whiterebel wrote: »
    Cheaper than that ordering it through apple's irish store.
    Check again

Australia
    Comes with iOS4, sim free and unlocked
    8GB - $719 - 505 euro (499 in irish store, i'd pay 6 euro for sim free and iOS4)
    16GB - $799 - 562 euro
    32GB - $879 - 618 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Mellor wrote: »
    499 in irish store, i'd pay 6 euro for sim free and iOS4

What makes you think the one in the Irish store isn't SIM free, unlocked and with iOS 4? It's certainly pictured with iOS 4 on it and it must be SIM free as you don't have to choose a carrier when buying and if it's SIM free, presumably it must be unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kahless wrote: »
    What makes you think the one in the Irish store isn't SIM free, unlocked and with iOS 4? It's certainly pictured with iOS 4 on it and it must be SIM free as you don't have to choose a carrier when buying and if it's SIM free, presumably it must be unlocked.
    i wouldn't trust the picture if buying a 3GS.
    The Oz site confirms that it has iOS4. I was under the impression that you couldn't buy it sim free in ireland.

The main reason for my post was because the previous user mess up the conversion, maybe used the US dollar rate.

It's worth pointing out that because the euro as fallen, there is no real saving in buying in Aus. Previously the rate would of made the current price 360 euro
    (you can buy a iphone from a disgruntled guy in the airport, who set it up with an old bill and old letter and ID, Month later, cancel the account :D:D:D)

Advertisement