Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling and food for weight loss (fat loss)

2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

Lumen wrote: »
    No. More likely to be under 2000 calories.
    That would more like i was expecting, do you know any reason why it would be giving the wrong reading? I checked the info for my profile but it is corrrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ludermor wrote: »
    That would more like i was expecting, do you know any reason why it would be giving the wrong reading? I checked the info for my profile but it is corrrect.

Why would it be correct? It doesn't know the wind speed or direction, it may not know the gradient, it doesn't know how aero your position is or what tyres you're using. It's using very guessy algorthms based on indirect measurements. The better algorithms are patent protected and therefore not widely used.

You could try changing your stats (e.g. halve the weight).

The only way to get accurate stats is to use a (expensive) power meter, but even that only measures output and doesn't account for variations in metabolic efficiency.

TBH I don't think calorie counting like that is an effective approach.

Just eat sensible foods, cycle a decent amount (with adequate recovery) and get a feel for your calorie requirements over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭Russman

Just eat sensible foods, cycle a decent amount (with adequate recovery) and get a feel for your calorie requirements over time.

+1 to that. In general terms its really not that hard, sorry, complicated :), to lose weight. Until you get to professional level of sport, really the earlier comment of eat less, move more applies IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Has anyone any ideas for getting over a plateau in weight loss? I started cycling about 4 months ago and I've lost nearly 3 stone but the weight loss has stopped. I seem to be changing shape a bit alright but the weight is still the same. I've just started to add a few climbs into my cycle to create a few intervals so hopefully that'll help.
    I'm doing 3 25 to 35km spins per week. If I started doing one or two 50km spins would it help?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Donie75 wrote: »
    Has anyone any ideas for getting over a plateau in weight loss? I started cycling about 4 months ago and I've lost nearly 3 stone but the weight loss has stopped. I seem to be changing shape a bit alright but the weight is still the same. I've just started to add a few climbs into my cycle to create a few intervals so hopefully that'll help.
    I'm doing 3 25 to 35km spins per week. If I started doing one or two 50km spins would it help?

Well done so far! Do you reckon there's more to lose? Much more? Losing weight is like building an expensive light weight bike. Losing the last few grams can cost alot. ;)

Remember that along with losing fat, you're building muscle and muscle weighs plenty!

Your body has probably adjusted to your new regime, you need to change things up again to continue losing weight.

How's your diet?

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Donie75 wrote: »

Sort of depends whether your plateaux is "less fat, but still fat", or "thin but not scrawny".

It may be that you've just increased your eating to match your cycling. So, eat less or move more :)

Personally, I find it difficult to control weight if I'm cycling every day. You can't recover fast if you're trying to lose weight unless you're really scientific about it. Rest days mean you can afford to cut the calories because your glycogen stores will have more time to recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

+1 on calorie intake while cycling v resting.

I lost 1 1/2 stone from Nov thru Feb. Due to weather I did very little cycling but I watched everything I ate.
    I wanted to lose 1stone more but haven't had much success. My cycling goals have meant many 350km+ weeks with up to 5days cycling.
    I have done 2 500 and 1 650 km week.
    During this time I ate everything that wasn't nailed down.
    My weight has remained flat since Feb. I need to eat to recover and I like to eat for sybaritic reasons.
    To lose the new stone I would have to eat less - given amount of cycling I am doing I am not sure that I want thr weight loss badly enough.

Weight has its uses tho, cycling around Slea Hd in high winds I left many cyclists in my wake - small scrawny types can't take the wind like I can.

Why would it be correct? It doesn't know the wind speed or direction, it may not know the gradient, it doesn't know how aero your position is or what tyres you're using. It's using very guessy algorthms based on indirect measurements. The better algorithms are patent protected and therefore not widely used.

You could try changing your stats (e.g. halve the weight).

The only way to get accurate stats is to use a (expensive) power meter, but even that only measures output and doesn't account for variations in metabolic efficiency.

TBH I don't think calorie counting like that is an effective approach.

im not calorie counting im just trying to get used to using the garmin and thought i might it set up wrong. Im happy enough to be able to get out for a few hours a few times a week and i have changed my eating habits. Im kinda like a child with a new gadget and would like to know how accurate the info it gives out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

ludermor wrote: »
    im not calorie counting im just trying to get used to using the garmin and thought i might it set up wrong. Im happy enough to be able to get out for a few hours a few times a week and i have changed my eating habits. Im kinda like a child with a new gadget and would like to know how accurate the info it gives out.

Having used a Garmin (305,705,500) in parallel with a Powermeter (SRM and Powertap) - the calorie reading from the Garmin for road biking is usally 2x out. Basically, halve the value (sorry to be the bearer of bad news). For mountain biking, the Garmin is a bit closer.

Unless you are down to 10% body fat (and it gets much much much more difficult at that point). Moving more, eating a bit less and staying away from processed foods will take the broad chunks off your waistline.

I have linked to this before - but again, my nutritional tips:
    http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-everyday-nutritional-tips.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The Garmin calorie reading from 500 and 305 are radically different. I have used both simultaneously.
    305 usually goes for 1300-1500 cals/hr whereas 500 reads 700 on avg. According to many calorie/exercise websites a man of my weight height should burn around 700cals per hour for a reasonable effort cycle. On that basis I would say 500 is a better gauge.
    I have checked this on all of my standard routes.
    My profile is the same on both devices. Furthermore the 500 is also a more accurate calculator of altitude gain fwiw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ROK ON wrote: »
    My weight has remained flat since Feb. I need to eat to recover and I like to eat for sybaritic reasons.
    QUOTE]

[from the notorious luxury of the Sybarites] : voluptuary, sensualist
    ???

aah your a native of a 6th century city thats ok

i like eating waaaay too much havent figgured out how to stop that yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

I just bought a 705 to replace a suunto T3 watch and strap(Gone through two of them and found them pretty good) I,ll post back to see if same spins have roughly same calorie totals. MTB btw

Having used a Garmin (305,705,500) in parallel with a Powermeter (SRM and Powertap) - the calorie reading from the Garmin for road biking is usally 2x out. Basically, halve the value (sorry to be the bearer of bad news). For mountain biking, the Garmin is a bit closer.

Unless you are down to 10% body fat (and it gets much much much more difficult at that point). Moving more, eating a bit less and staying away from processed foods will take the broad chunks off your waistline.

I have linked to this before - but again, my nutritional tips:
    http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-everyday-nutritional-tips.html
    Cheers for that Ryan, it will be a learning curve for me but im enjoying it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

I just bought a 705 to replace a suunto T3 watch and strap(Gone through two of them and found them pretty good) I,ll post back to see if same spins have roughly same calorie totals. MTB btw

Seems about same compared to my watch. Maybe a tad higher than normal but was giving it socks for parts of spin.
    Calories:2,048 C
    Distance:35.79 km
    Avg HR:147 bpm
    Avg Speed:10.9 km/h
    Time:03:17:49 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:697 m
    All this extra rubbish I never had. Hmmm The maps are cool on garmin connect and heart rate charts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

has anyone tried / recommend using Whey protein as part of a fat reducing regime? was reading on Zipvit's website that it is good for such a reason.

• Advertisement

damo80 wrote: »
    has anyone tried / recommend using Whey protein as part of a fat reducing regime? was reading on Zipvit's website that it is good for such a reason.

I actually do that a bit - I take a scoop of the ZipVit whey protein with my oats (chocolate - adds some more flavour to the oats) in the morning to help make me feel a little fuller.

On split session days, a couple of hours after lunch I would take a serving too. I'm usually vegetarian on these days (ie. no meat)

I actually do that a bit - I take a scoop of the ZipVit whey protein with my oats (chocolate - adds some more flavour to the oats) in the morning to help make me feel a little fuller.

On split session days, a couple of hours after lunch I would take a serving too. I'm usually vegetarian on these days (ie. no meat)

and would you recommend it for weight loss? i.e. does it work :)
    sorry for all the questions. im trying to loose weight and its just not working for me. ive cut meals down to 2 a day (breakfast and dinner) and snack on fruit and drink 2 litres of water a day. as well as cylce, soccer, hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Ok,
    I've lost 19.3kg since Jan week one. A mixture of Cycling and Weight Watchers. I've cycled 2,400km approx since Jan.

Simple tips:-
    1. Eat with your stomach and not with your eyes.
    2. Drink lots of water.
    3. Cycle allot, as much as you can and as often as you can.
    4. Control Calories, I chose WW as it took care of the food, not great at logging stuff....
    5. I ride MTB and Road (mix it up!!). Go to the hills!! too many cycling on the flat....
    6. Set a target mine was Wicklow 100, now a 10 hour mtb Marathon and Aug 24hour event.
    7. Enjoy.
    8. Don't read half the rubbish posted on Boards about cycling.:P
    9. Get a cycle buddy, thats a little fitter than you......
    10. Reward yourself at goals (new bit of kit and a new bike!) I bought a new Giant XTC bike when I lost 15kg.
    11. You recover and get stronger when your 'NOT' cycling.
    12. Avoid Junk, but have one breakout night per weak!

Weight yourself regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

depriving yourself of food is just as bad as overeating. your body wont burn fat but muscle and your depriving it of fuel aswell. Better off eating a few small meals day and watching what you eat.

When I need to loose weight I use low carb. I have breakfast usually some sort of bacon & egg mix, morning snack of deli meats or eggs or cheese, lunch of salad with tuna or left over dinner, afternoon snack and then a dinner of meat and salad/veg. Stops me pecking at crap foods during the day and still loose weight. Its not to everyones liking but other things work for different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Drapper wrote: »
    12. Avoid Junk, but have one breakout night per weak!
    Freud. Freud! Over here please ;)

• Advertisement

and would you recommend it for weight loss? i.e. does it work :)
    sorry for all the questions. im trying to loose weight and its just not working for me. ive cut meals down to 2 a day (breakfast and dinner) and snack on fruit and drink 2 litres of water a day. as well as cylce, soccer, hurling.

Well, it helps control how hungry I am - I'm at 9% body fat and an elite rider so what works for me is not always right for someone that has weight to lose.

2 meals a day though - very very few times have I heard that that was a good idea. I typically have between 3-5 meals and another 3-5 snacks per day. I know that a few small meals worked for some of my buddies, but they were not sporty and thus did not care about performance on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

. im trying to loose weight and its just not working for me. ive cut meals down to 2 a day (breakfast and dinner)

Why? is this really sustainable? as nersi says depriving yourself aint the way you just need to eat the right foods.

What weight are you and what bodyfat %?

What are the 2 meals made up of? how often do you eat chocolate/take aways etc? and how often do you drink alcohol?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Why? is this really sustainable? as nersi says depriving yourself aint the way you just need to eat the right foods.

What weight are you and what bodyfat %?

What are the 2 meals made up of? how often do you eat chocolate/take aways etc? and how often do you drink alcohol?

im 181cm weighing in at 95kg. bodyfat i couldnt tell you.
    breakfast is porridge and dinner/lunch is normally rice/pasta with chicken.
    i snack up then on fruit bout 4-7 pieces. depends on how hungry i get.

im 181cm weighing in at 95kg. bodyfat i couldnt tell you.
    breakfast is porridge and dinner/lunch is normally rice/pasta with chicken.
    i snack up then on fruit bout 4-7 pieces. depends on how hungry i get.
    something doesnt add up then. unless:

a) you are very well built muscle wise

b) the cycling, hurling and soccer are infrequent/too low an intensity

c) or your diet is new or you aint being totally honest.

Have you always been 15stone or how do you attribute to getting there?

I would expect you to be 12-13 stone if doing enough of those exercises TBH

the lowest ive being is 88kg but then it started went up after doing gym work last year for the hurling. weights etc. tryign to shift it all now and nothing happening.
    intentisies are fairly high training. i even do races but only manage to finish in the bunch.

probably best to go see your gp or a nutritionist. also decide whther you want to be light for cycling or strong for hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 musette

If you have a smart phone (Apple/Android) you can download an app called Calorie Counter, which is a front end for a website called FatSecret.com. It allows you to record your calorie intake very easily and also calories burned. Because it's in your pocket the whole time it's easy to keep your discipline with it.

I've lost two stone since April using it while upping my riding time too. Like all food diary type methods it's forced me to think about everything I eat.

BTW I have no connection with the providers.

Advertisement