Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Came off the bike. OUCH.

• 24-06-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Was out for a spin on my dads bike yesterday, and ended up coming off the bike. I hit a pot hole and the handlebars wobbled. Stupid me hit the front brakes in a panic. Fractured my wrist and chipped the bone, and busted my lip. Lots of grazes and stuff. In a cast now.

Anyway, just wondering what the situation is when everything is healed. Will cycling risk it hurting again?

Has anyone else had this happen, and were you able to get back on the bike with no major problems? I can imagine pressure on the wrist could possibly agitate it.

Thanks! :D

Hauk

P.S. One handed typing sucks!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry to hear about that Hauk, and I hope you get better soon.

I might as well add welcome to the club - I suffered similar injuries when I came down on ice in February - check out my training log for (many) more details!

I had a badly gashed leg, and could not physically get on the turbo for a week after my accident. While I had the wrist cast on (for just under 6 weeks) I only went on the turbo. It is not easy riding a bike in a cast! (and I was certainly not going to risk it)

Once I got the cast off and was given clearance at hospital, I was straight back on the bike, and commenced my racing career 2 weeks later! I wore a wrist brace for a couple of months, which stablised the wrist, making it much easier to ride (and it was not much of an inconvenience)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Apparently these powerballs are recommended for rehabilitation once the cast comes off...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Apparently these powerballs are recommended for rehabilitation once the cast comes off...
    They certainly help strengthen the wrist - I got one a month or two ago (you can get them from CRC), although I had already regained most of my wrist-strength by then - can be a bit addictive though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Beasty wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that Hauk, and I hope you get better soon.

I might as well add welcome to the club - I suffered similar injuries when I came down on ice in February - check out my training log for (many) more details!

I had a badly gashed leg, and could not physically get on the turbo for a week after my accident. While I had the wrist cast on (for just under 6 weeks) I only went on the turbo. It is not easy riding a bike in a cast! (and I was certainly not going to risk it)

Once I got the cast off and was given clearance at hospital, I was straight back on the bike, and commenced my racing career 2 weeks later! I wore a wrist brace for a couple of months, which stablised the wrist, making it much easier to ride (and it was not much of an inconvenience)

Thanks Beasty. :)

I can only imagine ice would wreck!

Yeah, she told me it would be six weeks in the cast. I wont be going near the bike until I'm fixed completely. I'll pick up that wrist brace too. It's good to hear about a quick turnaround from healing to back on the bike!
    They certainly help strengthen the wrist - I got one a month or two ago (you can get them from CRC), although I had already regained most of my wrist-strength by then - can be a bit addictive though!

Nice. I'll see what the doc says I'm fully healed.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Beasty, I'll have a look at your log now! :D

Sorry for keeping this short. ^_^

Hauk wrote: »

I wont be going near the bike until I'm fixed completely. I'll pick up that wrist brace too. It's good to hear about a quick turnaround from healing to back on the bike!

I suspect I'm considered a bit of a freak around here with my tendency to compound the pain and misery by getting on the turbo so quickly, but I think it made a massive difference - I guess I did not lose much of the fitness gained over the winter - I thought I would struggle on the first race as it was a hill climb, but still bettered my PB on that hill by 30s or so. Within a few weeks of getting the cast off I hardly noticed the wrist (except for on a couple of particularly arduous races). If you're not racing I think you really can take it at your leisure - there's no point in overdoing it (I think I have a pretty good idea of what I can get awsay with)

There are one or two other boardsies who have also suffered broken wrists and can give you an idea of how they approached it, and how long they took to recover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Ah cool. I had planned on doing a few trips on the bike, but nothing of the level you are at.

I'll be taking it pretty leisurely. I'll still be getting out walking and stuff too.

I'll have to buy my own MTB to make myself feel better after! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Im not too sure about the wrist but i broke my hip 3 years ago i was back training in six months and no trouble since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

Different injury, but sharing it in case it's of any use, about 13 months ago I came off the bike and broke my left humerus. In the process I also damaged the radial nerve (the one controlling the extensor muscles in the hand). I spent 6 weeks with the arm immobilised between a cast and brace, after which I still had nerve palsy in the hand, and a contracture in the elbow whereby I couldn't straighten it. The main reason for the contracture was the docs not telling me to manually flex and extend the arm while in the brace (they told me after it stiffened that I should be doing it!), and me being afraid to do it, for fear of disturbing the break. I'd say about 3-4 months after the break, these were resolved (though I still get some odd behaviour in the nerves in that hand to this day).

I wasn't much of a cyclist at the time, having only had the bike a couple of weeks, with a view to starting training for a charity cycle this year. Due to various other circumstances, I didn't actually get back on the bike until January of this year, but since then I have cycled Maynooth-Galway, the Wicklow 100, and various other training spins, and the only ill effect I may have from that break is that the left elbow has a tendency to stiffen up, but that's not specifically from the break, more the lack of advice while healing. I'm pretty sure in myself that I would have been ok to get back on the bike by about September/October at worst, and I had intended to in November until a close family bereavement upset things.

So, like I said, different injury, but still a severe enough break, and it seems to have healed without any particularly long term impact on cycling for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Oh yeah, how'd you do that then?! ;)

It's Friday

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Oh yeah, how'd you do that then?! ;)

It's Friday
    Waving intensely at a car driver with a roof-mounted bike just before he went under a height restriction barrier .....

(well you did ask!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

I'm only out of a cast after breaking wrist in a cycling accident end of April, had operation with plate and wires inside. Am back on the road on the bike but it hurts, the physio thearphy is helping it alot. I have starting back racing wit it already, I wear a bandage around it when Im on the bike.

Let it heal first, this would take bout 2 weeks, most likely u should\will be going back to doc\hospital 2-3 weeks after it happen to check it is settled back to place etc, get an xray etc I say dont do any turbo until u get the ok that it is settled back and healing, then get turbo-ing.

Id recommend getting health tablets, you can get them at any health shop. They supply u with the RDA nutrition for human bone support, even though I tried to eat & drink the correct nutrition to help it heal, these health tablets insured I was getting the RDA daily for bone nutrition. They cost bout 15e for a 5-6 weeks supply, which is great value.

Your wrist strength will come back over time, ever since I got the cast off the feeling has been coming back gradually, so don't panic just let it heal over time, your main worry is that it heals properly first, if not u will hav more trouble wit it.

Sorry to hear bout ur crash, and hope for a speedy recovery for ya....

Advertisement