Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAF Tornado Back Seat Jockeys Are Messers!

• 24-06-2010 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

**PICS IN THE LINK**

Priceless!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/3027153/RAF-navigator-points-Im-with-stupid-sign-at-pilot-of-1400mph-Tornado.html

A TOP Gun joker holds up a prank message poking fun at his pilot in a 1,400mph Tornado GR4 warplane.

The RAF navigator showed the "I'm with stupid" sign - with an arrow pointing at his pal in the £13million jet.

The flyer - based at RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland - knew they would be pictured by spotters as they roared through a mountain valley in Snowdonia, North Wales.

The Ministry of Defence laughed off the prank last night.

A spokesman said: "All RAF aircrew are trained to be consummate professionals but, as with all jobs, there are light-hearted moments as well."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

CHEERS for posting that!

attachment.php?attachmentid=4549&d=1248394536

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

punchdrunk wrote: »
    CHEERS for posting that!

attachment.php?attachmentid=4549&d=1248394536

;)
    Am i seeing things or is that an air corps sign on top of a german cross? (serious question by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

00MARTZ00 wrote: »
    Am i seeing things or is that an air corps sign on top of a german cross? (serious question by the way)

Your not seeing things, that was taken at RAF Fairford ( RIAT Airshow ) about 2 years ago, its called "zapping" basically the IAC guys went over to her and replaced all her GAF Roundels with the IAC Celtic boss Roundel as seen in the pic, its quite common especially at Airshows/Military exercises for Units to "ZAP" eachother.

Some units especially RAF/RN units go one step further sometimes "recovering" Airwing/Unit mascots and keeping them for a while etc, the RAF/RN are regular at it between eachother, some RN guys actually stripped an RAF harrier of her RAF Markings as she sat on a RN Base and placed the words "Fly Navy" on her tail.

All in good humour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There was always this one...

117999.JPG

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Classic. Looks like it was landed somewhere in limerick, with the door and boot left open like that someone has obviously done a job on it and lifted the Stereo and subwoofer out of it and left a calling card. Obviously Blauplunkt fans :)

• Advertisement

There was always this one...

Nicely done MM but if only it was an actual "ZAP" but alas she was a Genuine Garda Bird used when the Pope was here.

iceage wrote: »
    Classic. Looks like it was landed somewhere in limerick

Taken at Baldonnel afaik, looks like she landed on the grass between taxi-ways.

Of course your probably right, I was extracting the urine of course....Stereo....subwoofer. :)

Steyr wrote: »
    Nicely done MM but if only it was an actual "ZAP" but alas she was a Genuine Garda Bird used when the Pope was here.

I know. I made a model of it.

118016.JPG

NTM

Now thats just spookey MM. Very nice work though, did it take you long?

• Advertisement

Enough.

First problem was that the kits are old Airfix and Heller, hardly the greatest quality fit. Second problem was that the BdGnStz helos have reconfigured compartments, so I needed to drill new windows in the fuselage and make one window on the portside door smaller. It didn't help that I accidently drilled a window in the wrong place. The side sponsons, fortunately, are available as an after-market resin accessory from some obscure British company (Whirlybits) and, bizarrely, are more expensive than the helicopter kit itself. Come to think of it, so was the decal sheet, but at least I get a few aircraft out of the sheet. An unscheduled test flight also resulted in the requirement to replace the canopy.

118018.JPG

118020.JPG

NTM

Nicely done MM, the last model i made was an Alouette 3, im only 27 but was easily 8 years ago by now, i must get back into it.

Off Topic I know but Steyr has just given me an idea, could this be the start of a new thread?

Are there many Modelers in the Military Forums? Some of you might scoff but there might be more of them than you'd think. Aviation and in particular Helicopters have been of interest to me lately to stave off bouts of boredom. I've just fininshed a 1:48 scale AH-64D Apache I am particularly proud of. I've also seen some cracking landy's and how I laughed when I found an old Bedford 4 tonner online, memories!

The stuff of second childhoods and Waltyness I know, but it keeps me occupied and my real Boss the Missus loves the peace and quiet! It also made it easy foy my kids who found some cool gadgets to give me as a present for Fathers Day.:)

Every now and then I put up a picture of a competed model under Rec...Models, but that forum seems to be predominantly populated by radio-controlled car guys. I'm in a decided minority.

NTM

I could post an F-14 Tomcat that my dad made, she is big enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Go and throw up a few pics of the Apache Iceage will ya?! Would love to see it :)

I always wanted to get into making Helicopter models but alas I always spent my money on other things :(

I will start though this summer for definite!

Will do, if I'm not clogging the thread. Need to get a clear shot at it in daylight I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Good job!

Off topic,but on a side topic is it easy to get Air Corp decals for models,Steyr,you would most likely know! :p

• Advertisement

Iceage, nothing wrong with her, very well done. Question though, in pic1 is the guy in the instructions giving you 2 fingers? Just under the cockpit:pac:

gawd bless your eyesight, completely missed that. You mentioned something about an F14...;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

I have a few old ones at home... where do you guys keep the models???

Advertisement