Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing alarm

Options
  • 24-06-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi

Moving to a 20 year old house, thinking of replacing the alarm, it's a wired Vista-5 system, with sensors on each door and window, two external ringers (one front door, one at the shed). There is a small panel a the entrance and the main box is in the hot press (will it have to be moved?).

This are the features I'm looking for:
    - Central Monitoring
    - Ability to get texts sent to a couple of mobile numbers (GSM dialler)
    - IP access (through wired home network), administration / access to logs from PC
    - Ability to define multiple alarm codes (i.e., set up temporary codes for visitors, while keeping a master code)
    - Panic buttons (wireless)

I may be getting the phone line through UPC, so the monitoring should be able to work with either GSM or phone line.

I'd like to get it professionally installed. I guess most of the cabling can be reused?

Looking for suggestions of models and of reliable companies I could get to do the job. Also any ideas of what cost to expect?

Thank you!
    Chanquete

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The SigNET 220 will do everything you want there.;)
    Take a look at the brochure & post what you need to know.:D

Signet 220
    with GSM dialler
    & network set up would be between €100 & €1200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The signet is a good choice but shop around.
    Also get the wiring checked out because back in the day of the vista 5 and bentlys installers likes to twist and tape wires together, some still do but not as much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭altor

Chanquete wrote: »
    Hi

Moving to a 20 year old house, thinking of replacing the alarm, it's a wired Vista-5 system, with sensors on each door and window, two external ringers (one front door, one at the shed). There is a small panel a the entrance and the main box is in the hot press (will it have to be moved?).

This are the features I'm looking for:
    - Central Monitoring
    - Ability to get texts sent to a couple of mobile numbers (GSM dialler)
    - IP access (through wired home network), administration / access to logs from PC
    - Ability to define multiple alarm codes (i.e., set up temporary codes for visitors, while keeping a master code)
    - Panic buttons (wireless)

I may be getting the phone line through UPC, so the monitoring should be able to work with either GSM or phone line.

I'd like to get it professionally installed. I guess most of the cabling can be reused?

Looking for suggestions of models and of reliable companies I could get to do the job. Also any ideas of what cost to expect?

Thank you!
    Chanquete

Yes the panel will have to be moved to a different location as it is not up to EN50131 standard if left in the hot press. It would be a straight swap if the panel was in a different location. Have a look also at the HKC SECURE WAVE, it does not have ip connection but if your looking to install a GSM you would have no need for this as you can control the panel through the GSM. The keyfobs are also secure keyfobs as you can use them to enter your code rather than just pressing a button. It can also have 70 two way wire free components added to the system just in case you had any problems with the cables. Up to 19 numbers can be added to the GSM for text notification plus remote access to the panel if you require. Temporary codes can be added with a time frame for if you forget to delete the code.

HKC upgrade plus GSM €800 - €1000

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you are comparing SigNEt with Securewave I would recommend getting a working demonstration of the remote access and X10 on the SigNET. Way more features and the browser access will do much more than the text commands in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Chanquete

Thank you all for the suggestions and the links.

The Signet 220 looks pretty good. One thing I forgot to mention was linking the alarm to a fire/smoke detector - i assume that's possible with the Signet.

Any recommended companies to do the installation and/or the monitoring?

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Do you want to link an existing smoke detector?
    If so what type is it. If not Smoke detectors can be added yes.
    If you are in or near Dublin I would be happy to meet you & give you a demonstration of the remote access on the SigNet. PM me if your interested.

Advertisement