Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair rate of pay with respect to Colleagues?

Options
  • 24-06-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Some time ago I changed status within a Company from being a Contractor on a daily rate to being a full time Employee.

The Company, a Global Entity which regularly releases reports on its massive profits, took the opportunity to slash my wages and given the climate re. unemployment and the simple fact that I had no alternative but to accept the job offer they set a wage that was initially very low and then in a calculated manner further reduced it to a figure I can barely live on modestly month to month.

At present I work outside of normal hours, Bank Holidays, etc for a wage that amounts to little more than I'd get on the Dole especially once I pay for travel, subsistence etc.

Now here's the thing - other People in my job that are actually less qualified than me academically, are in the job a shorter time than me and are basically performing an identical role - often with less responsibility are now being paid circa 40%-50% more than me as they work alongside me as I struggle to pay my mortgage and bills from pay-day to pay-day.

- Have I any grounds for constructive dismissal as I believe they slashed the wages hoping I'd leave and also can I not under employment law or from any other platform demand to be paid the normal, equitable, standard rate being offered to other People who are essentially performing the exact same role or less day in and day out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Im not sure you have grounds for constructve dismissal on wage grounds alone. If i understood the situation properly, you went from being a contractor to being a full time employee, and the wage went down. This is normal, contractors get paid a higher rate because there are less associated staffing support costs for the company, but also less security for the contractor.

Your colleages who are on more than you for similar work, are they contractors or permanent employees? And if the latter, have they been permanent employees for longer than you? If so, how long?

Also, are there any other factors that could be interpreted as leading to a constructive dismissal? You should keep a record of everything should you need it in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you job-hunting? If not, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

San Miguel wrote: »
    other People in my job that are actually less qualified than me academically, are in the job a shorter time than me and are basically performing an identical role - often with less responsibility are now being paid circa 40%-50% more than me

Why is your employer willing to pay these people substantially more than you even though you are clearly more qualified?

Surely your employer should be constructively dismissing one of these overpaid morons instead of trying to shake out his lowest paid, top performing employee.

I'm sorry but this doesn't really add up. Why not ask to be taken on as an employee at a higher salary?

Advertisement