Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinion on my future setup for personal data storage

• 24-06-2010 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,
    Currently I have use a WD passport drive 320GB for all my data. The drive is USB and it's a pain to connect it and cart it around - I like to be able to access something relatively quickly.

I would like to be able to access my data at work or anywhere aswell and possibly have my work laptop receive my bookmarks temporarily should I require them.

I'm thinking of setting up an old linux laptop at home and making it accessible over the net. My data is private so I will need to implement some sort of software solution for making data available over the net. I could just have my current WD passport USB drive plugged into this laptop as my "large" storage device. 320GB is plenty for me at the moment.

Anybody got anything to add to the above idea that I may be missing out. I suppose it might be worthwhile investigating a possible video out on the laptop should I decide to output video playback in the future - I suppose potentially up to HD but this is not high priority.

Not sure what kind of backup solution to implement yet either - Maybe another external USB would do the trick. Plug it in once a week or something and leave it in the car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It should be simple enough to set up a ftp server on your linux laptop. I have a ftp server set up on a windows machine using filezilla server, which I find to be good, but I don't think there is a linux version.

There is a list of ftp server programs on wikipedia. Choose one that suits your needs I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FTP_server_software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

whats your budget? iomega have some small nas boxes which are accessible via www from anywhere and the retrospect software comes bundled for backing up client machines.. you can have stripe config or raid 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭irlforum

Hi,
    I've the server up and running now. A NAS box could have been suitable if I could have installed Linux on it. I've free laptop hardware though so it will do the trick - NAS raid solutions would be useful but not worth the cost vs. free laptop.

Does anyone know about sharing bookmarks remotely? ie. configuring firefox at work to connect to my bookmark catalogue hosted from home. This is something I'm gonna to spend time with google on shortly.

Also I'm modifying files remotely using filezilla client on a windows machine to connect to my home hosted ftp server. I've noticed that when I right click on a remote file via filezilla and edit it it downloads the file to a temporary disk location. It's a pity it can't be written into ram only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might consider the idea of running a web server at home (depending on your home net connection possibly), with password-protected access, and having a html page with links to your bookmarks. I think some browsers (Mozilla ? maybe, open to correction on this) save their bookmarks as a webpage. Or you could make up an html doc that would do this.

Just an idea !

Advertisement