Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Chicken mince and turkey mince

• 24-06-2010 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!
    Was in Tesco picking up a few bits and wandered over towards the meat section and saw chicken mince and turkey mince. Just have a few questions for anyone in the know.
    • Can it be used in recipes just the same as regular mince?
    • What is the taste difference e.g. will it require traditional mince recipes to be modified?
    • Will it make a nice burger e.g. is it of similar consistency to regular mince?
    • Has anyone any good recommendations for some nice dinner ideas with it? Really intrigued now and wanna try it out - can't believe I've never noticed it before!
    As you can see from my wee tickers, I am trying to watch my weight so if anyone has any healthy recipes (ideally low carb or low cal alternatives) that'd be brilliant!!
    Thanks and happy cooking to you all! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

terlywerly wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    Was in Tesco picking up a few bits and wandered over towards the meat section and saw chicken mince and turkey mince. Just have a few questions for anyone in the know.
    • Can it be used in recipes just the same as regular mince?
    Yes.
    [*]What is the taste difference e.g. will it require traditional mince recipes to be modified?
    Turkey mince is quite bland and I imagine chicken mince is too, if you replace 100% of the mince in say a shepherd's pie with turkey mince you would need to season it quite heavily to make up for the change. You can also just go 50/50 and still get the flavour or the lamb.

[*]Will it make a nice burger e.g. is it of similar consistency to regular mince?
    Yes its the same consistency, but like I said there's very little taste so hard to know if it will make a nice burger.
    [*]Has anyone any good recommendations for some nice dinner ideas with it? Really intrigued now and wanna try it out - can't believe I've never noticed it before!
    Dunno I think substituting beef or lamb mince with turkey in your regular recipes is the easiest solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I make burgers with chicken mince by mixing crumbled up feta in to the burger mix with some herbs. It's quite nice and the feta adds a good flavour to it. It's actually a WW recipe so let me know if you would like me to send it to you.

I'm not a huge fan of chicken mince otherwise though. I wouldn't use it in recipes that needed mince tbh.The texture just puts me off and it tastes kind of greasy or something :confused:. I'm not sure how to describe it. I also think it would be a bit bland if used in the place of pork or beef mince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

watna wrote: »
    I make burgers with chicken mince by mixing crumbled up feta in to the burger mix with some herbs. It's quite nice and the feta adds a good flavour to it. It's actually a WW recipe so let me know if you would like me to send it to you.
    Please, if you don't mind. I have to get the curiosity out of my system :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

I heard turkey mince was healthier than regular/beef mince, I compared the packs in the shop and i was surprised to see that there wasn't a huge difference between them, tho the turkey was better (less fat).

I replaced regular mince with turkey mince in spaghetti bolognese and it tastes exactly the same to me, and I can enjoy it even more knowing it's healthier and I've reduced my red meat intake.

Go Team!

terlywerly wrote: »
    Please, if you don't mind. I have to get the curiosity out of my system :D

Sure, I'm at work and the recipe book is at home. I'll post it up when I get home tonight (morning in Ireland!)

• Advertisement

ok, I are very silly! It wasn't in my recipe book but was online :) Link is http://www.weightwatchers.co.nz/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=39371 but I've copied here it here just in case:

Ingredients
    400 g chicken mince
    1 tbs (s) fresh parsley, (or fresh oregano), chopped
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    80 g reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
    4 medium white bread roll, halved
    1 cup (s) lettuce, cut into thick strips
    2/3 cup (s) char-grilled red capsicum, sliced
    6 individual black olives in brine, pitted, sliced

* Preheat a pan or barbeque grill over high heat.

* Combine chicken, parsley or oregano, garlic and feta in a medium size bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into 4 balls and gently press into pattie shapes.

* Cook on preheated grill for approximately 10 minutes, or until patties are cooked through.

* Serve each pattie on rolls with lettuce, capsicum and olives.

It's 6.5 WW points per serving and this serves 4. I made them using a griddle pan as it's the middle of winter here so a bbq is not happening. They're were quite nice and very satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I heard turkey mince was healthier than regular/beef mince, I compared the packs in the shop and i was surprised to see that there wasn't a huge difference between them, tho the turkey was better (less fat)
    Some might actually consider the fattier meat to be healthier. Some might want to avoid red meat though. In tesco you can get lean beef mince and it is about 3.5% fat, they also have a turkey mince and I think it is about 8-9% fat -so you really have to read labels if it is a concern. They have a lower fat turkey mince too so the ~8% one is probably from thighs and could have skin in it.

I was going to get the chicken mince in tesco until I noticed it was just slightly cheaper than normal chicken fillets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Thanks for the recipe watna, will definitely give it a go.
    Rubadub, I don't eat red meat, that's why I was wondering, and being pure nosey did the rest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sheenaaziz

I wouldn't use chicken mince like beef/lamb at all. Here are some nice recipes.

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/article/8-ways-to-cook-chicken-mince-a1065.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Please don't bump old threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement