Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Tripod, December 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Right so here's what I think the tracklisting was tonight. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Couldn't be arsed naming the actual movements! :D

1. Storm (minus ending)
    2. First half of Sleep
    3. Don't know. Sounded cool whatever it was!
    4. Static (minus ambient sections at beginning and end)
    5. Providence (at part of it at least)
    6. Moya
    7. BBF3

Probably missing something but that's all I can remember.

Oh yeah, best gig ever! :D

The 3rd song was called Albanian - you can download a damn fine live version of it here.

Anybody know what that wall of noise they opened with was?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Eugh I had to leave early...seeing that they played Slow Riot makes me sad. Although apart from that crushing blow it was immense. Thank you to the people who convinced me to risk getting stranded in Dublin for it:D

John you were in that green flannel shirt? I was standing with ya in the queue then!¬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Had to leave before the encore to catch a DART which was long gone. Should've stayed!

Anyone got pictures/video/tapings?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Unbelievably good.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Amazing gig, completely hypnotic in parts

Feel really bad for the people who left early. The encore was immense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

blubloblu wrote: »
    Anyone got pictures

GYBE10.jpg

GYBE7.jpg

GYBE11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Incredible gig, they had me at Storm tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Forgot to mention...think I was standing beside the band outside at bout half 6. There was 2 who knew each other (in the band) and two others. A car came along and they took out drums and guitars...then there was no support:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People using flash on their cameras at this gig got a bit tiring after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    People using flash on their cameras at this gig got a bit tiring after a while.

It may not have been Profiler, but in between songs somebody standing where he was standing got told off by the drummer for using flash on his camera. I didn't hear the conversation, but he was taking pictures and after the drummer had a short talk to him he didn't take any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Numina wrote: »
    It may not have been Profiler, but in between songs somebody standing where he was standing got told off by the drummer for using flash on his camera. I didn't hear the conversation, but he was taking pictures and after the drummer had a short talk to him he didn't take any more.

No that wasn't me, but I was stood quite close to the guy. I asked the guy after the show what the drummer said to him and he did say that the drummer asked him to not use the flash.

I did notice quite a few people with some expensive looking camera equipment taking a lot of pics through out.

That being said I didn't notice the number of camera flashes being too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

So did anyone recognise what the first song of the encore was?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Anyone else see the drummer flipping the bird to another photographer? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

What was with all the immensely tall men at this gig? I'm not that wee, but felt tiny surrounded as I was by a fortress of bearded and/or bespectacled and/or long-haired behemoths. Couldn't see a damned thing. The sound was decent though, I just stared at my feet and let it wash through me. I think my mind melted halfway through Moya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

What was with all the immensely tall men at this gig?
    There didn't seem to be that many ladyfolk at all, and then most of the ones I saw appeared to be with someone. Is there something about dark silent canadians which scares them away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 beardofzeus

macinalli wrote: »
    The 3rd song was called Albanian

Does anyone know whether Albanian was ever released, or is it something from one of the side projects?

Albanian was the percussion heavy track? Was f*cking lovely.

Seriously that gig was up in my top 3 ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

The guy with a camera standing front-centre and autofocus-assist lamp going off every few minutes started to irk me even before the gig had started. I stopped noticing after a while though, as the performance was stunning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Does anyone know whether Albanian was ever released, or is it something from one of the side projects?

It has never been released, it's only ever been played live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Mushy wrote: »
    John you were in that green flannel shirt? I was standing with ya in the queue then!¬

If it was the top of the queue then that was me.
    Anyone got pictures/video/tapings?

5254454312_e2ab0d5415_z.jpg
    5254451364_4c1d3efe30_z.jpg
    5254446084_d4ccbeca43_z.jpg
    5254439006_f046f3376c_z.jpg
    5254434668_68a9ed8905_z.jpg
    Numina wrote: »

That was my friend, he was really gutted that he annoyed the drummer and apologised to him after the gig. The drummer was understanding about him using flash considering the low light but still, it obviously was putting him off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Nice shots John.

There didn't seem to be that many ladyfolk at all, and then most of the ones I saw appeared to be with someone. Is there something about dark silent canadians which scares them away?
    Yeah, I was one of the very few girls (and was with someone). It's the first gig I've been at in a long time where there was no queue for the girls' toilets!
    I'm quite partial to dark silent hairy men though, if I had only been able to see the stage I'd have been in heaven!

Some cute girl came and stood next to me for a while, I appreciated it because she wasn't just standing like a statue and like me would rock out a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well that was great, although for the first time I wished I had of bought seating tickets to relax and fully enjoy it(not saying I didn't) but I was right at the back behind the 4 old school film projectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Gonna take me a while to forgive myself for missing this :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

John wrote: »

Nice review and great pics. One of the best gigs of the year for me,only downers were the clowns who talked at the bar all the wat through the gig including the encore and getting my new godspeed shirt robbed later on that night:mad::mad:

John wrote: »

Cheers John, my only view of the stage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

RasTa wrote: »
    Well that was great, although for the first time I wished I had of bought seating tickets to relax and fully enjoy it(not saying I didn't) but I was right at the back behind the 4 old school film projectors.

Ah brilliant that they're still using film projectors. I was up in the balcony so I couldn't see what they set up was.

Last time I saw them (about 8 years ago) they were using film projectors. (and a lot of the same visuals it seems).

Advertisement