Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping up European language...

• 24-06-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Is anyone else really interested in keeping up their European language after LC ? But it's not in your future degree.

Personally its German for me (I hate French with such a passion). I only expect to get a C in it, but I like the language and don't want to lose the six years of knowledge that I have gained. Irish can go and die in a hole somewhere :D

I wonder is there any clubs or places to continue you language learning without a huge cost or commitment (Like a degree).

Personally, I may go to Germany on a holiday for a few weeks and see how much I can learn. Seeing as people say that's the only way to quickly absorb a language and us German students know just how impossible German grammar is :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I was in Germany for 2 weeks last summer, staying with a german girl I knew and her family. Didn't have a clue most of the time, and couldn't keep up with the pace they spoke at, and eventually just gave up and started speaking English, as their English was much better than my German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Yes! I do too. Plan on rounding up my German-speaking friends and going to Germany or something during the year with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

id love to keep up french :) i'll give some french literature a go over the summer haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I love French so i'll keep it up as long as I can, it'd be great to go back to Paris one day now that I can actually speak it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

Personally its German for me (I hate French with such a passion).

It's always amused me how militant German students are in their appreciation of the language.... or maybe it's just the people I know. Hilarious none the less

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Interzone wrote: »
    It's always amused me how militant German students are in their appreciation of the language.... or maybe it's just the people I know. Hilarious none the less

+1. My friends who does German tends to hate French as well :P

To be honest can't blame them, I studied french for 5 years and I hate it with a passion too. My french notes are traveling the world now, in the form of ash carried by the winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

I did German and French for Junior Cert and kept up the German. I hate French too!

I definitely see a trend here...! haha!

To answer the question, I'd love to keep it up. I'm just going to get books and films for the time being. But hopefully I can travel to Germany at some point too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

H2student wrote: »
    +1. My friends who does German tends to hate French as well :P

To be honest can't blame them, I studied french for 5 years and I hate it with a passion too. My french notes are traveling the world now, in the form of ash carried by the winds.
    With me it was Spanish rather than German, but I couldn't cope with French at all! >.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I assure you all, this hatred is not related to Soccer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

I'm just going to get books and films for the time being. .

you HAVE to watch the film lola rennt it soo funny our class watched it and we were in fits! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

I'll try and stick to what little French I have, and hopefully go to classes in France sometime before I'm old! I've only been doing French since 5th year so I've got a lot to improve on!

Also, OP, you're a legend - ''Irish can go die in a whole somewhere''. Very well said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

French > German :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Ditzie wrote: »
    you HAVE to watch the film lola rennt it soo funny our class watched it and we were in fits! :D

haha ok I'll see if I can find it! :)
    We watched Die Welle.... that's a really good film!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Ditzie wrote: »

Oh my god brings back such good memories! We must have watched 3 times since first year!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I hope to keep up french, I know the french institute is only like 40 a year or suma and you can use their library full of stuff and next year if I get into UCD I'm gonna take it up as an elective :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I liked both French and German *hides*

I love speaking French, the vocabulary and grammar are quite easy compared to other languages. And it sounds so sexy.
    German is a great language to shout and swear in and I think there was greater demand for German speakers, so that was handy.

French people want to speak French with you; Germans will basically only speak to you in English, unless your German is undeniably awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

I do French and Spanish and I'm keeping them up at degree level. I LOVE languages :)
    I love French so i'll keep it up as long as I can, it'd be great to go back to Paris one day now that I can actually speak it!

You don't think P:aris is totally over-rated? I wasn't crazy about it. That may have been something to do with the Parisienne drama queen I was staying with though!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

Personally, I may go to Germany on a holiday for a few weeks and see how much I can learn. Seeing as people say that's the only way to quickly absorb a language and us German students know just how impossible German grammar is :D

Immersing yourself in the language is really the best way to do it, but unless you have a good ear for languages and are naturally good at them I would advise you take some sort of class while your there. I don't study German (or know any at all for that matter), but from what I've heard you need to make it clear that you want to learn German and not just be there for them to practice their English! :) Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

It's not part of my degree but I would love to keep up Spanish. Did both give French up. Language is ok but Spanish is so much better!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

To me i dont understand why people would prefare german, because generally it isn't the nicest sounding...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 mellowmeg

im deffinitly keeping french...school teaching of it hasnt been great so ill see what i can do myself!!

Advertisement