Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle lanes on the Freshford Road

Options
  • 24-06-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I cycle around town quite a bit, and I have to say that one of the most frustrating places to cycle is the Freshford Road, on the way out to St.Luke's from town.

Consistently, every time I cycle on that road, there are cars parked on the cycle lanes. Has anyone ever seen these cars been clamped, or is it a case that a blind eye is turned to this?

Surely there is a serious if not fatal accident waiting to happen here.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

DerryRed wrote: »
    I cycle around town quite a bit, and I have to say that one of the most frustrating places to cycle is the Freshford Road, on the way out to St.Luke's from town.

Consistently, every time I cycle on that road, there are cars parked on the cycle lanes. Has anyone ever seen these cars been clamped, or is it a case that a blind eye is turned to this?

Surely there is a serious if not fatal accident waiting to happen here.

Yes, what they are doing is illegal but I wouldn't be a biggest fan of the cycle lanes in Kilkenny due the amount drain holes, kerbs and various other obsticles in them. I ride assertively on the road and use the cycle lane to allow cars to overtake me. Comer road is always full of parked cars also. The problem if you cycle in the cycle lane is that when you do come to a parked car you risk causing an accident by pulling out onto the road as the car maybe anticipating that you are staying in the cycle lane.
    There are many threads about cycle lanes in the cycling forum.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Thanks for the feedback. I'll checkout those other cycling posts. Up in Dublin at the minute with work, and noticed the exact same thing. A blind eye must be turned to this all over the country.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its basically the same anywhere in Ireland, cause the Gardai don't enforce the law in respect of the cycle lanes the vast majority of the time motorists don't give a monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I was cycling along one of the lanes on the Castlecomer Road yesterday and nearly got cleaned out of it by a lorry :eek: And it wasn't even one of the sections where there are cars parked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭spikeprint

Kilkenny is one of the worst places for cyclists. The lanes on the Freshford road are carparks, but just called lanes. A pointless waste of time from a useless county council.

• Advertisement
Advertisement