Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Eireann using UK Reg Coaches?

• 24-06-2010 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a couple of times over the past few days UK Reg coaches with Bus Eireann Destination posters stuck on the windows. One for Kilkenny and one for Wicklow. Are the hiring in from the UK? If so are there none available here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If the coach is based in UK on an Irish leg of a schedule I couldn't see a problem, but if a coach is based in Ireland without being imported on UK plates and the driver holding an Irish license I would imagine it would be illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

As I understand it, it is illegal for an Irish citizen / resident to drive a car in the state which isn't registered in the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Bus Éireann often use independent coaches from around the country I assume that they take them from north of the boarder, as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Its probably cheaper too. Get an indy to come from the north, do a smaller commuter route out and back into dublin before the return leg and send them on their way back up north. Maybe thats too many hours though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

As I understand it, it is illegal for an Irish citizen / resident to drive a car in the state which isn't registered in the state.

So if you're an Irish citizen from Belfast with a car registered in Belfast, you're not allowed drive in the Republic of Ireland?!! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Irish RESIDENT he meant....dont have to be a citizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bus Eireann have even had a non-Irish reg bus in full livery before, a borrowed demonstrator...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

These are on hire busses and just another example of how bus eireann do not have a clue of the type quality standard or legality of the busses they hire and transport passengers in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm pretty sure that they have XXX months to get it registered, and that there are exemptions for folks who are regularly back and forth over the border.

Don't know about buses, but with the number of foreign tourist buses that I see there I'm guessing it must be legal in at least some circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

tour busses are only visiting and are working from their own country but they cant be hired out here/employed here without being registered here afaik

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Bus Eireann have even had a non-Irish reg bus in full livery before, a borrowed demonstrator...

+F181-YDA.jpg

Dublin Bus had two back in the late 80s and I believe they also had a UK-reg ALX400 back in 1999/2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Karsini wrote: »
    +F181-YDA.jpg

Dublin Bus had two back in the late 80s and I believe they also had a UK-reg ALX400 back in 1999/2000.

Actually the demo ALX was Irish-regged - fond memories of it taking me out to Ballycoolen many mornings as the 38A
    12-testt.jpg
    (Courtesy of Gabriel Conway @ allaboutbuses.wordpress.com)

And here's the demo (UK-regged) Olympian that was being tested at the same time as the MCW in the 80s - we all know who won that particular competition ;) (courtesy of www.irishbuses.com)
    PB8.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that they have XXX months to get it registered, and that there are exemptions for folks who are regularly back and forth over the border.

AFAIK it's one working day.

Advertisement