Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking forward to kids growing up or not??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I have 2, age 3 and 8.

My eldest just told me today she has her first crush, Justin Bieber, mind the 2 of them have been going on about him for weeks. To be honest I think it is more my hubbie that is dreading the boyfriend phase. I wouldnt be a typical girly girl but I love doing other peoples hair and makeup and nails etc, so I am looking forward to helping the girls out with all of these and just seeing their personalities, I can already imagine what they will be like and when it comes to boyfriends I think the eldest one will be the hardest, because she is so sensitive, the little one being a cheeky little sod I think she'll be giving as much as she gets.

I think for me the excitement is hugely based on the fact that I didnt really have a close relationship with my mother in the teenage years as I grew up with my dad so I really am looking forward to sharing with the girls all the moments I missed as a girl.

I'm the same with my daughter......
    My mum grew up in an Industrial School and never was able to get close in that special mother-daughter way, don't get me wrong, she'd lay down her life for me but she wasn't able to give hugs or have close chats as she never had that herself and didn't know how I guess:(. That was one of the worst complaints we had when it came to her applying for redress, the effect her upbringing had on her relationship with her kids!!!

We would never have gone shopping, chatted pop music or messed with make up. Already I have a close relationship with my 11 year old daughter. We watch all the girlie programmes together and regularly go for shopping trips with each other which is great. I look forward to when she is older and maybe even having the odd social night out together if she doesn't think I'm too uncool to be around. I realise I will probably lose her to some extent when she is in her teenage years but know that we will reonnect again, if you will, when she gets thru' those years:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'm the same with my daughter......
    I think its something taken for granted. The likes of you and me may enjoy it more than most as we didnt experience it ourselves. Of course I had my mam weekends and that but still obviously it wasnt the typical mother daughter relationship and as much as my dad did for us, and I respect him completely, there are things that dads and girls dont do together, like makeup or discussing boys and periods and that so I am looking forward to it. Im glad they'll get all the things that I missed and I really look forward to sharing it with them. I'm very young at heart and I did enjoy my teens but there was some stuff that I know I could have coped with better had I had a more intimate parental relationship. Hugs werent galore for us either, we had huge amounts of laughter and comical moments with my dad being so happy and upbeat as he is but not hugs and I make sure I hug my girls constantly now, I am so grateful for the relationship I have with them and I really hope as they get older it stays the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Illegal in public places.
    A dash of Tia Maria in a glass of milk with a parent in your own home, not a problem.
    I'm not talking about feeding her drink here. I'm talking about one glass so that she could have a taste. Hence, nipping the curiosity in the bud. Worked a treat btw.

Parents did the exact same thing with me. They even roped me in to get my younger brother drunk to find out what kind of drunk he was (he was a happy, quiet one thankfully). Though that last part stems from there being some violent/angry drunks in the extended family rather than being a general point etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I also dreaded the teenage years, turns out they weren't so bad at all.
    Fully educating your child ahead of time on all aspects of what being a teenager is like can really smooth the way.
    Also, talking to instead of talking at really helped.

I love the fact she's a grown up now.
    I get to have total freedom in my comings and goings again. Tis great. :)

Great wisdom in your post, Beruthiel.

A girl I went to school with has just had her 2nd baby, 21 years after having her first! Could you imagine starting all over again? I break out in a sweat thinking about her, but she is enjoying it.

My children are 9, 7 and 3 and I am enjoying them. I did not enjoy the baby or toddler stages at all, I love when they reach a stage where you don't need to watch them so closely and predict their next move.

However, my 7yo daughter was diagnosed with Asperger's so I am worried about her teenage years - it's a difficult enough time, but worse when you feel different but want to be like everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Like most other dads I'm utterly dreading the teenage years even though my daughter's not even 2 yet! Her mum was an absolute tearaway in her teens and we're both hoping beyond hope that it's not hereditary!

I have silly daydreams about taking photography trips with her when she's a young woman, cool places to go off on holidays together etc. so in some ways I'm looking forward to her being grown up, though I really dread the day when she stops getting excited because I'm home from work :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

kelle wrote: »
    Great wisdom in your post, Beruthiel.

A girl I went to school with has just had her 2nd baby, 21 years after having her first! Could you imagine starting all over again? I break out in a sweat thinking about her, but she is enjoying it.

My children are 9, 7 and 3 and I am enjoying them. I did not enjoy the baby or toddler stages at all, I love when they reach a stage where you don't need to watch them so closely and predict their next move.

However, my 7yo daughter was diagnosed with Asperger's so I am worried about her teenage years - it's a difficult enough time, but worse when you feel different but want to be like everybody else.

i can understand what you are feeling Kelle, my youngest son has been diagnosed as being dispraxic. I too am worried about him reaching his teenage years and his akwardness setting him apart from his peers...:(

Will just have to do my best to be there for him I suppose and help him cope as best as I can:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

My three year old asked me yesterday where he came from. So no, not really if these are the questions I can expect at three.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

i love my 2.5 yr old so much, everything is so new to him and he is so innocent. i dread the day he comes home with a girl plastered in tan, make up, eyeliner and a skirt up her ass!!!
    Me and hubbie were quite wild when we were younger so i know he'll be the same (he is wild as it is)!!
    But like previous posters have said i cant wait to see him start school, grow into the teenage yrs and become a man!! It scares me thinking of it....

Advertisement