Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multi Handsfree Options with Privacy

• 24-06-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for a universal solution that can be used while on the phone and driving. One thing is that I'd like it to be interchangeable between vehicles and I'd also like the caller to be only heard by the driver. Sometimes there could be passengers in the vehicles and I'd prefer them not to hear the caller and the caller not to hear them.

Are them bluetooth headsets any use? Besides looking a bit silly, are they actually any good? Would they fry the drivers head?

I need something for perfectly clear communication. I'd prefer for it not to rely on the stereo in the vehicle and would like it to be compatible with more than one phone (not to be set up each time for each phone, for it to just pair automatically).

Also, what's the story if you were caught driving with a phone between your shoulder and ear? It's technically handsfree, how would the law see it? :D

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

Some of the newer ones are more discreeter cormie. One of them is the only real option for your requirements..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I thought as much. I've no experience whatsoever of them. I'd prefer not to have it on my ear while driving, I like to have both ears wide open (to hear music and sirens and beeping and what not). So would like to just have it somewhere I can quickly pick it up, pop it on my ear and away I go talkity talkin!

If anyone has any experience with them and knows a decent one (there's 44,000 on ebay when I search bluetooth headset :eek:) please share. I'd like one that's discreet, great quality, easy on battery, maybe a 12v charger even? Willing to spend whatever it takes for the best quality one if it's going to do what I need it to do the best way possible :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

cormie wrote: »
    I thought as much. I've no experience whatsoever of them. I'd prefer not to have it on my ear while driving, I like to have both ears wide open (to hear music and sirens and beeping and what not). So would like to just have it somewhere I can quickly pick it up, pop it on my ear and away I go talkity talkin!

If anyone has any experience with them and knows a decent one (there's 44,000 on ebay when I search bluetooth headset :eek:) please share. I'd like one that's discreet, great quality, easy on battery, maybe a 12v charger even? Willing to spend whatever it takes for the best quality one if it's going to do what I need it to do the best way possible :)

Cormie try to get a nokia one. I got one to have in case of an emergency but i have proper hands frees. Get a proper H/f and hand your passanger earplugs when your phone rings:D.

Hehe, do you mean a nokia car kit, or a nokia headset? Thinking about it, a headset would be pretty handy actually to have if I'm helping somebody move, means I'd have two hands free for loading/stacking the van. Just don't want to mess around getting cheapo ones that don't work well so if anyone has had a great experience with a particular one please share :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

cormie wrote: »
    Hehe, do you mean a nokia car kit, or a nokia headset? Thinking about it, a headset would be pretty handy actually to have if I'm helping somebody move, means I'd have two hands free for loading/stacking the van. Just don't want to mess around getting cheapo ones that don't work well so if anyone has had a great experience with a particular one please share :)

Plantronics Headsets are about the best

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion, never heard of that brand before myself. Searching for the highest priced one returned this: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Plantronics-Voyager-510SL-Bluetooth-Headset-System-/140413331085?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item20b149668d :eek:

So maybe I'm not prepared to pay that much, but I'd be willing to spend $60-100 on a decent, rechargeable one that does what I need it to do :)

Seems the case and headset use the same charger as my HTC Desire, handy! After having read up and watching a review or two I think I'll give it a go! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

No idea about the quality but does this thing not do all you want?

Use the earpiece when you need the privacy?

I was doubting between this one and a jabra 700. I took the jabra because it had a fm transmitter so i can play mp3's of my phone via the radio of my car.
    Would work great if i could find a clean enough frequency on the radio....

Thanks for the suggestion. At £21 I'd be a bit sceptical of how good it would be though, especially in a loud van. My garmin nuvi has bluetooth too, but you can't hear a thing from the device in the van. Might just go for the discovery 975 and hope for the best!

• Advertisement
Advertisement