Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC repeat for Primary school teaching

Options
  • 24-06-2010 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi Guys, Im thinking of repeating LC Irish and I have looked at the courses offered in the likes of NUI and you have to have at least a B1 in ordinary Irish to qualify and I only have a C1 so Ill have to resit the LC...only thing is Im 25 and have a multitutde of things like mortgage and car loan and a wedding hanging over my head and I just cant raise the money to repeat in a place like the Institue. Is there any were else that I can repeat that have good teachers and resources for mature students?

Thanks a million in advance for all your help as Im only a newbie to boards!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

hi, i repeated my lc last year and i continued working. i bought the text books and past papers and studied myself at night. i also got grinds once a week in irish.

if u want to go back full time and repeat why not try your local secondary school? my younger sister had a 33 year old lady come in a few days a week and sit in on the classes, apparently she was repeating to go back to do primary teaching aswell. best of luck anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭iwannagoonstric

hi, i repeated the leaving cert in 2009 to get the requirement for primary teaching. I think i got a c ordinary level in my leaving the first time.

I didnt go back to school or have grinds. But I did a distance learning course with Kilroys College, which was ok - you still had to do a lot of work yourself, like find out what the cirriculum is, what exactly is on the papers, finding the sample essays and poetry notes etc and it didnt take into account the oral work. But it was marked by teachers so it gave me an idea of my weaker areas.

I bought myself a dictionary and read some irish every single day. There are websites like www.beo.ie and papers like Foinse that are a brilliant resource even for people like us trying to improve. Dont be put off by how big a task it is. It is manageable, and if you are like me, you will develop a love or it that you didnt have at school.

I also went to the Gaeltacht for a weekend, (things like Bank Holidays) - wasn't massively expensive and will improve your fluency madly - the best way to learn is to speak it.

And don't avoid the AURAL - you can bring up your grade here, it makes all the difference. You would be far better to spend time on this than the poetry or dramas.

I got a C1 in the end and just got offered a place in Mary I and I am delighted. I hope this helps.

Definately go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Peachy84

WOW iwanna...that is amazing! congrats on getting a place at mary I, you totally deserve it after all the work you put in.. I have decided to sit the exam in 2012 as they are changing the course so I am going to spend the next 2 years studying and speaking as much as I can.. I even have my son who is nearly 3 saying thinks in irish like "tar isteach" and my favourite "mammy I need to go the leitris" hahaha I hope I am as successful as you with my studies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Starr27

hi all,

i am trying to decide which course is the best to do for getting a C or higher on an honours LC paper.

I want to do primary school teaching but dont have the Irish Higher Level paper.

My options are the Institute of Education on Leeson St or Plunket College - the price difference is huge, problem is I dont know if I would just be paying for the name of the Institute or if Plunket is just a good and much cheaper.

has anyone ever repeated hons irish in either of these places - would love your advice thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 EricC

Starr27 wrote: »

My options are the Institute of Education on Leeson St or Plunket College - the price difference is huge, problem is I dont know if I would just be paying for the name of the Institute or if Plunket is just a good and much cheaper.

has anyone ever repeated hons irish in either of these places - would love your advice thanks!

I am also contemplating resitting the LC Irish this september. Can anybody advise on the above, I would really appriciate any help. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Peachy84 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Im thinking of repeating LC Irish and I have looked at the courses offered in the likes of NUI and you have to have at least a B1 in ordinary Irish to qualify and I only have a C1 so Ill have to resit the LC...only thing is Im 25 and have a multitutde of things like mortgage and car loan and a wedding hanging over my head and I just cant raise the money to repeat in a place like the Institue. Is there any were else that I can repeat that have good teachers and resources for mature students?

Thanks a million in advance for all your help as Im only a newbie to boards!

Do it yourself with grinds once a week! I must get around to doing it myself at some point in the future..not a fan of the ould gaeilge at all but it has to be done for the post-grad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭anfieldrd

EricC wrote: »
    I am also contemplating resitting the LC Irish this september. Can anybody advise on the above, I would really appriciate any help. Thanks guys.

Well I repeated it last month and I done it by myself, got grinds for the oral alright, then the written exam I used to get grinds every other week, id do the work, sample answers, essays etc and she would correct them. Grinds were 40 euro for 90 mins, expensive enough but hopefully next month it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Yesterday it was announced by NUI Maynooth that their TEG Irish programme at level B2 has been recognised by the DES for primary teacher training. This is a more adult friendly option in several regards than the Hons LC course. Below is the email I received from Maynooth and more details are available at http://www.teg.ie
    A chairde,

It seems that the demand for places in primary school teaching training courses in Ireland, both undergraduate and postgraduate, is increasing all the time. A number of Adult Guidance Counsellors have been in touch with this office with queries regarding the Irish language entry requirement for the Graduate Diploma in primary education and indeed the undergraduate programme. Until now, the only options available to mature students who did not meet the teacher training colleges Irish language entry requirements were (a) to re-sit the Leaving Cert Irish examination or (b) to take a Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge course in one of the universities. Taking the Leaving Cert paper is not a very appealing option to the adult learner and the Dioplóma is not an option for many due to location or financial issues.

Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge (TEG) is a set of Irish language examinations and qualifications for adult learners run by the Language Centre in NUI Maynooth. Preparatory courses are run throughout the country and exams take place in April and May each year in various centres in Ireland and abroad. We have recently been given official recognition by the Department of Education for Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge (TEG) Leibhéal B2 as meeting the Irish language entry requirements for the UGrad and the HDip in Arts in Primary Education. You will find attached a copy of the letter from the Department of Education to the Teaching Council.

TEG syllabuses and teaching materials are designed specifically for the adult learner and all language skills are covered thoroughly. Teaching materials, teacher support and all information pertaining to TEG exams are available free of charge through this office or at www.teg.ie.

More information on Level B2 (syllabuses, teaching materials, sample papers etc.) is available at this link: http://www.teg.ie/gaeilge/paipeir_shamplacha.htm

Take a look at our website www.teg.ie and please feel free to get in touch should you have any queries by email or on 01 7086417. I look forward to hearing from you.

Le gach dea-ghuí,

Aisling Ní Bheacháin,

Comhordaitheoir na Gaeilge,

Ionad na dTeangacha,

Ollscoil na hÉireann,

Má Nuad.

01 708 6417

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭swizzle123

I have just completed an HOns Degree and am 21 years of age and want to do primary school teachng. Again dont have the irsh.... could I apply for TEG then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

swizzle123 wrote: »
    I have just completed an HOns Degree and am 21 years of age and want to do primary school teachng. Again dont have the irsh.... could I apply for TEG then?

Yes.

All learning material can be taken from the TEG website. As far as I know you can self-study then register with an exam centre to take the test. At present exam fees are €150. It is hoped that some VEC's will run TEG based courses in the Autumn but so far I haven't heard of any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Is there some conversion course where teachers qualified in the UK can cross train i.e. learn irish to teach here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Yesterday it was announced by NUI Maynooth that their TEG Irish programme at level B2 has been recognised by the DES for primary teacher training. This is a more adult friendly option in several regards than the Hons LC course. Below is the email I received from Maynooth and more details are available at http://www.teg.ie
    Yeah, I had heard that ... while the part-time Dioploma they offered had already been recognised, this is a step forward in that TEG is less costly, and it's certainly more user-friendly than heading in to repeat LC HL Irish.

I think they may offer this through Pat's in Drumcondra as well, but I'm not certain on that.

I would also assume that if TEG Level B2 has been recognised for this, it's recognised regardless of which college you do it through. So well worth a visit to the TEG site, probably a list of providers on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kobiog

Yeah I just also found out that they will accept TEG Irish Course at level B2 as the requirement. Does anyone know would it be easier to repeat the LC or to do this course and exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

kobiog wrote: »
    Yeah I just also found out that they will accept TEG Irish Course at level B2 as the requirement. Does anyone know would it be easier to repeat the LC or to do this course and exam?
    Personally, I would say go with TEG B2.

Stress is on oral, aural and written language, not on a whole load of texts / poems. Exams less stressful too from what I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kobiog

Thanks, thats great to hear. i don't know anyone who has done it so finding it difficult to get advice.

Would Love to hear any updates on this thread if anybody has just resat the Irish LC or completed the TEG course. Also looking at repeating Irish for Primary Teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chloe22

Hi all,

I need your help! I want to do primary teaching and need hons Irish. I was all for sitting the LC Irish in June 2013 but now I see that the TEG Level b2 is also sufficient enough. Before I knew this I was going to do a night course in Clane on the LC Honours Irish syllabus. I was wondering should I continue with going with this if I sit the TEG exam or should I look for a course that goes over what the TEG exam will look at? Its just that my Irish is very basic and I was thinking that enrolling in the night course would help with improving my Irish as I know I have to sit an interview for the post grad Hibernia course in primary teaching.

Thanks

Chloe

chloe22 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I need your help! I want to do primary teaching and need hons Irish. I was all for sitting the LC Irish in June 2013 but now I see that the TEG Level b2 is also sufficient enough. Before I knew this I was going to do a night course in Clane on the LC Honours Irish syllabus. I was wondering should I continue with going with this if I sit the TEG exam or should I look for a course that goes over what the TEG exam will look at? Its just that my Irish is very basic and I was thinking that enrolling in the night course would help with improving my Irish as I know I have to sit an interview for the post grad Hibernia course in primary teaching.

Thanks

Chloe

Hi Chloe,

I'm in the exact same position as yourself. I've been in contact with the people that run the TEG courses and here's what they advised me -

As you did ordinary level Irish for your Leaving Cert, we would recommend that you start at level A2 and take that exam in 2013,  B1 in 2014 and B2 in 2015. One year is not a sufficient length of time to prepare for the B2 exam.  TEG is a step by step programme which ensures that the learner progresses steadily and successfully from level to level but it does take time. 

I plan to start grinds next week, hopefully 3 per week. And then resist the leaving June 2013.

Regards,

Eric

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chloe22

EricC wrote: »
    Hi Chloe,

I'm in the exact same position as yourself. I've been in contact with the people that run the TEG courses and here's what they advised me -

As you did ordinary level Irish for your Leaving Cert, we would recommend that you start at level A2 and take that exam in 2013,  B1 in 2014 and B2 in 2015. One year is not a sufficient length of time to prepare for the B2 exam.  TEG is a step by step programme which ensures that the learner progresses steadily and successfully from level to level but it does take time. 

I plan to start grinds next week, hopefully 3 per week. And then resist the leaving June 2013.

Regards,

Eric

Hi Eric, yeah that's exactly what they said to me too. I am not going to wait another three years to start into the post grad. I think if that was the case you would be better to go back to college to do the undergraduate primary teaching then. I am going to do the same as you. I am going to do a night course in Clane and get grinds as well. I think it will be managable if you do a few hours a week. I've seen people advise you to listen to an irish speaking radio station as well. Good luck with it. Hopefully we will fly it then in June!!

Advertisement