Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam summer sale - 24th June to 4th July

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Sounds like a fleshed out Horde mode from Gears of War. I'm sold.

Yes, that is a better way of putting it!

People might consider Ghost Master as it's only a euro! The reviews seemed decent.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/ghostmaster

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6200

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Just bought Bioshock 2 - last purchase of the sale for me, have loads of games to work through now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

Bit of perspective on the sales:

ARMA II Steam: 14,99€ Amazon £11.99 (€14.50)

Mass Effect 2 Steam: 29,99€ Amazon £13.49 (€16.32)

Bad Company™ 2 Steam: 33,49€ Amazon £14.99 (€18.13)

Just Cause 2 Steam: 24,99€ Amazon £16.49 (€19.95)

BioShock® 2 Steam: 14,99€ Amazon £9.00 (10.89)

The above will still be the same price next week and you won't have to eat a huge chunk of your data allowance to get them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

The above will still be the same price next week and you won't have to eat a huge chunk of your data allowance to get them...

In the future it seems I shall buy Mass Effect 2 on Amazon then, the only reason I got the first on STEAM was it was less than 4 quid :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rounded it off with LFD2 (in anticipation of a hopeful Mac port) and Monkey Island.

Now, go away Steam sale, so my credit card can rest on impulse purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Bit of a disappointing day; there's no big discount there for anything that I either don't have or want! Picked up the Tropico 3 expansion and the one of the Borderland DLC (been playing it since yesterday and it's a lot of fun - must try the co-op sometime).

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

All you have done is hand-picked titles that are cheaper on Amazon. I think it is fair to say that no one company will always have the cheapest prices across the board. BTW, unless you are living in the UK then Amazon charge P&P - this bumps the prices you listed by about £2 if memory serves.

Digital download companies like Steam are also offering a slightly different service to Amazon. You don't have to wait a week for delivery, you can access your games on any computer that can handle the requirements, updates are automatically applied when necessary and they offer individual forums for each game. Perhaps these features alone are worth the extra cost on some games :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

But buying on Steam, although in some/many cases slight dearer ...also means

-Never needing discs , not having it get scratched or lost
    -Being able to switch onto any PC, 5 years down the road getting a new PC and having all your games readily available
    -Automatic Updates
    -Integrated chat/browsers/
    -Being able to join friends playing the game through steam

I love Steam, and I love Valve even more :):D

Those features are worth the 1 or 2 quid extra, plus no delay in post. Valve are also very community based, and constantly updating Steam and their IP's (Left4Dead (2)/ TF2) for free to make our experience all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

All you have done is hand-picked titles that are cheaper on Amazon. I think it is fair to say that no one company will always have the cheapest prices across the board. BTW, unless you are living in the UK then Amazon charge P&P - this bumps the prices you listed by about £2 if memory serves.

Anything over £25 from amazon and you get free delivery to ireland. So any 2 of those games and you still make a saving compared to steam.
    If you want to chance g2play i think you'll find they are one of the cheapest across the board :P
    Digital download companies like Steam are also offering a slightly different service to Amazon. You don't have to wait a week for delivery, you can access your games on any computer that can handle the requirements, updates are automatically applied when necessary and they offer individual forums for each game. Perhaps these features alone are worth the extra cost on some games :confused:

I'd still chose the cheaper option than pay the steam premium, but maybe that's just me.

Burgo wrote: »
    Anything over £25 from amazon and you get free delivery to ireland. So any 2 of those games and you still make a saving compared to steam.

But the fact that you are paying £25 as a minimum may well defeat the purpose of a sale for some.
    Burgo wrote: »
    I'd still chose the cheaper option than pay the steam premium, but maybe that's just me.

Again, for that apparent premium you are paying on some games you are actually receiving a number benefits and services that you don't get when you purchase off Play or Amazon or whoever.

Sure, when Steam are expensive they are expensive, and it makes sense to shop elsewhere. But when there is only a few Euro in the difference either way then I would think it obvious that they offer the best total package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@BeardyFunzo:
    But that means WAITING a few days for delivery.

BTW I bought my friend in Canada Battlefield 2 Complete, but he didn't actually want it (he wrote Battlefield 2, but meant BAD COMPANY 2).

Anyone know what I can do with this license now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    @BeardyFunzo:
    But that means WAITING a few days for delivery.

BTW I bought my friend in Canada Battlefield 2 Complete, but he didn't actually want it (he wrote Battlefield 2, but meant BAD COMPANY 2).

Anyone know what I can do with this license now?

Contact STEAM. My brother pre-ordered Aliens Versus Predator (2010 version) on STEAM, but when he saw the terrible reviews it got, he wanted to cancel his pre-order. STEAM were reluctant at first, but gave way in the end. I am sure if you explain you meant to buy Bad Company 2, they will refund you the cost of Battlefield 2, but they will expect you to buy BC2.

BTW, if you see a game you like go to this site to compare prices in the different regions. As you can see from the link ME2 is £18 or €22, not the €29.99 you foolish Eurozone people are paying.

Total damage for me so far is €32, which isn't too bad I guess:

Ghost Master 0,95 EUR
    Gothic Bundle 1,99 EUR
    The Void 5,00 EUR
    Borderlands 10,19 EUR
    JC2 Black Market Boom Pack 0,99 EUR
    Tropico 3: Absolute Power 6,79 EUR
    Borderlands DLC: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx 2,71 EUR
    Overlord 1,69 EUR
    Clive Barker's Jericho (ROW) 1,69 EUR

May just get Grand Ages: Rome as well before 6pm...

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I bought

Shatter €2
    Ben there dan that/ time gentleman please €2
    company of heroes €4
    torchlight €4
    freedom force pack €1.62

Not bad for under €14 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

no big takers for red faction:guerrilla? Reckon its one of my best buys..! tis great craic collapsing buildings with your sledge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Went a bit crazy and got

Borderlands
    Bioshock
    Counter Strike
    Flatout:UC
    GTA:SA
    GTA:VC
    Indigo Prophecy
    Max Payne 1 & 2
    Overlord 1,2 and Raising Hell
    Civ 4 and the 3 expansions
    Torchlight
    Tropico 3
    The Witcher

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Went a bit nuts myself, ended up with;

Borderlands + DLC
    Day of Defeat Source
    Gothic 3
    Killing Floor
    King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Mount and Blade
    Operate Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
    Overlord 1, 2 and DLC
    Shatter
    Civilization 4 pack
    Sniper Elite
    Thief Deadly Shadows
    Torchlight
    The Void

And just picked up Dark Star One for €3.39. Bit of a bargain seeing as it came out the Xbox 360 for €50 two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Went a lot crazy and bought

Bioshock
    Borderlands
    Deus Ex 1 & 2
    L4D2
    Mass Effect 1 & 2
    The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
    Overlord 1 & 2 & Expansion pack
    Shatter
    Trine

Should hopefully keep me going 'till Christmas, just a pity Arkham Asylum wasn't on sale...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

went a bit silly

ghostbusters
    tropico + absolute power(game of the sale for me, been playing it nearly non stop since I bought it )
    commandos pack (i dont remember this game being so hard :( )
    thief: deadly shadows
    bioshock 1
    beat hazard
    metro2033
    borderlands + dlc

good lot of gaming in there for around 70E

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Went extremely silly

THQ Complete pack
    2K Complete pack
    Introversion Pack
    Serious Sam HD pack
    Commandos pack
    Thief: Deadly Shadows

I've 109 entries in my steam list, and not a chance I'll get to play them any time soon.

I'm amazed Serious Sam 1 is less than a gig though, it's been a good few years since I've see anything other than college projects that small.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

and people bitch about steam :D but noooo when theres a sale we all run off with a couple dozen titles worth of swag for a steal

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I got:
    The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
    Borderlands + DLC
    Tropico 3 + expansion
    GTA IV EFLC

So many games so little time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I only got:

The Witcher

And I still amn't very far in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

went a bit insane and got:

Bioshock 2
    Cryostatis
    King's Bounty
    Left 4 Dead
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Overlord
    Thief
    Zeno Clash

Seems a lot of boardsies got Borderlands - maybe we should set up a Steam group ("Boardsiesland"?).

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oceanclub wrote: »
    Seems a lot of boardsies got Borderlands - maybe we should set up a Steam group ("Boardsiesland"?).

P.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BsLand

*ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Borderlands + DLC. - My second copy, but worth it for the ease of getting the DLC, and my mate can just have my old copy.

Just Cause 2 - I really should have read that Windows XP doesn't support this game. What a berk.
    Overlord Complete Pack
    Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
    - Also includes Butcher Bay, which was nice.
    Deus Ex: Invisible War

Still pissed at myself for the Just Cause 2 gaffe. What an idiot, still I suppose its an investment - I'll be able to play when I upgrade to Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Still pissed at myself for the Just Cause 2 gaffe. What an idiot, still I suppose its an investment - I'll be able to play when I upgrade to Windows 7.

You'll also need a DirectX 10 capable graphics card :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You'll also need a DirectX 10 capable graphics card :p

Yeah saw that, ah I'll by buying a new rig in the Winter season, so should be well able to play it then.

Advertisement