Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam summer sale - 24th June to 4th July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

been eyeing gta eps from liberty city for a bit - there now for 15e, cant argue with that! :)

cheers for the heads up OP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

RE5 is 9.50. Whats it like on the PC?

I remember RE4 was a terrible port.

Really well done, no comparison to 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Got Arma combat ops for €6.50
    But steam servers are too busy to install
    Feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

got witcher, 15gb to download..... 10gb more to go....

was really really tempted for call of duty pack... you couldnt go wrong with it...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think a top up of my 3v card is needed.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bah to BOI!

my credit card payment is taking more then 2 working days for some reason. I hope I don't miss any deals over weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ok the first rebellion avp is going for 75p...Damnit thats worth getting just to organise a boards.ie game session of pants wetting alone in the dark multiplayer madness!

So cheap I even bought a copy for a few friends.

kicking myself, bioshock 2 was a tenner last night and now its 15...was gonna get it last night but decided to sleep on it.

But ghostbusters for £3 is a fine runners up.

(btw i'm going by sterly prices as currently in the uk.)

EDIT: Arma 1 worth picking up? how much of an improvement over it is arma 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

omerin wrote: »
    Bioshock 2 now €29.99, did i miss the boat?

Looks like it, but I think it's €15 in Gamestop on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Trials 2 is worth picking up for €5 if you dont have it! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

picked up tropico 3 there, after knowing nothing about it.. only a tenner, seems to be well worth it.

damned confusing to begin with, but after a few hours i'm beginning to get to grips with it.. enjoying myself alot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

god DAMNIT. i'm over 100 steam games now, and under 50 euro in my wallet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Considering picking up The Witcher for a fiver, may do it later today and download in July (The DL would push me over my DL limit)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Has anyone played mount and blade before?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yes, and its pretty damn good, especially at that price. Its mounted combat is really good (obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

Yep.

To expand:

Basically a non-magical First Person Medieval RPG. Both it and Warband (the first expansion, which is stand alone) are set in a fictional world where the ancient empire has split into several factions. It's very open ended - you begin on your own but can quickly hire mercenaries onto your war-band. What you do then is up to you - think Frontier Elite, except with horses rather than spaceships.

Downsides: It's a rather plain looking game, the gameplay can get a bit repetitive and the AI is a bit thick at times, especially during sieges.

Warband polishes everything a little, and adds another faction, basically a Middle Eastern Mameluk lookalike. It also increases the sizes of the battles and adds multiplayer.

In relation to the Steam sale - I bought Warband at full price and even then considered it a bargain with the amount of game time it gave (and still occasionally gives) me.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Yes and I love it. There's a wealth of fantastic mods out there and the large scale fights are a lot of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Its excellent, a bit of a slow burner though but worth it imho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I dont like this new email to buy thing. I dont know if everyone has it, or if its just me signed up to the beta. But it takes ages for the mail to come through. Especially with the sale on.

Jumpy wrote: »
    I dont like this new email to buy thing. I dont know if everyone has it, or if its just me signed up to the beta. But it takes ages for the mail to come through. Especially with the sale on.

What's this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Jumpy wrote: »

This.

Iv bought from Steam before and am pretty sure I verified my email address but still have to do it again and the email is taking forever to arrive :(

• Advertisement

is silent hunter 3 good?

its only 6.69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    ok the first rebellion avp is going for 75p...Damnit thats worth getting just to organise a boards.ie game session of pants wetting alone in the dark multiplayer madness!

So cheap I even bought a copy for a few friends.

Aww, don't support a company that steals other peoples work and passes it off as their own :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Aww, don't support a company that steals other peoples work and passes it off as their own :(

What? What happened? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

is silent hunter 3 good?

its only 6.69

Its quite hard but very good. It does require a fairly large commitment of time to learn how to play it probably.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    What? What happened? :confused:

The updated release on steam overhauled the avp codebase to use a direct3D9 renderer, proper compatibility with Vista/Windows 7, xbox 360 pad support, bug fixes and a whole other bunch of stuff. I wrote all this stuff myself, with help from the guy who wrote the linux port of avp, but didn't license my code to allow anyone to just take and use it without crediting me.

I found out Rebellion did just that and tried to pass it off as their own work. I bought avp from Steam and found a buttload of references to my code within the .exe file they were providing. I asked them for some credit for the work I did, but all I got was this email from CEO of Rebellion:

"Hello, nice to meet one of our biggest fans!

When we were doing the research for what the community might want from an updated version of AvP, we of course searched the web to look at what was out there in the public domain based on our released codebase. There was a lot of interesting stuff, a lot of good stuff and a lot of broken things and incomplete things too. It’s likely we considered your work along with others’ work as reference for our work, so thanks for helping us out.

We’re obviously keeping going with supporting the old title and will be adding patches as we can get them done and tested. It’s great that you want to keep involved. If you had any particular suggestions we’d be happy to take input from someone like you with such an enthusiasm for our work. As a thank you for supporting us in the past, I’d also be more than happy to get a complimentary copy of the new title to you if you let me know your details, or we could send you a steam code for a complimentary download."

I asked a few people in the know (open source folk and the like) and they told I was definitely in the right to demand that from them.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Left 4 Dead 2 - 20 quid?

Loved the first one, me and the lads on it nearly every night. Dunno why none of us got the new one? Anyone tell me if this is worth 20?

Thanks OP for the info!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

The updated release on steam overhauled the avp codebase to use a direct3D9 renderer, proper compatibility with Vista/Windows 7, xbox 360 pad support, bug fixes and a whole other bunch of stuff. I wrote all this stuff myself, with help from the guy who wrote the linux port of avp, but didn't license my code to allow anyone to just take and use it without crediting me.

I found out Rebellion did just that and tried to pass it off as their own work. I bought avp from Steam and found a buttload of references to my code within the .exe file they were providing. I asked them for some credit for the work I did, but all I got was this email from CEO of Rebellion:

"Hello, nice to meet one of our biggest fans!

When we were doing the research for what the community might want from an updated version of AvP, we of course searched the web to look at what was out there in the public domain based on our released codebase. There was a lot of interesting stuff, a lot of good stuff and a lot of broken things and incomplete things too. It’s likely we considered your work along with others’ work as reference for our work, so thanks for helping us out.

We’re obviously keeping going with supporting the old title and will be adding patches as we can get them done and tested. It’s great that you want to keep involved. If you had any particular suggestions we’d be happy to take input from someone like you with such an enthusiasm for our work. As a thank you for supporting us in the past, I’d also be more than happy to get a complimentary copy of the new title to you if you let me know your details, or we could send you a steam code for a complimentary download."

I asked a few people in the know (open source folk and the like) and they told I was definitely in the right to demand that from them.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

That is shocking. Feeling guilty now for purchasing it :( I presume there is nothing further you can do?

Haha sorry if I came across a bit strong, enjoy the game :)

I think i'm going to forget about it at this stage. It's been 6 months now since they released it. Jason (the CEO) ignored all the emails I sent to him after the first and only one he replied to. They made subsequent changes themselves, but we'll never see the source code for that unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Left 4 Dead 2 - 20 quid?

Loved the first one, me and the lads on it nearly every night. Dunno why none of us got the new one? Anyone tell me if this is worth 20?

Thanks OP for the info!!!!

If you enjoyed the first one then this one is just more of the same though slightly more polished (though not as claustrophobic)

• Advertisement

Just grabbed the following for myself:

Serious Sam HD: Double Pack

Ghostbusters: The Videogame
    4,--

Painkiller: Black Edition

Broken Sword: Twin Pack

Beyond Good and Evil

Tropico Reloaded

Advertisement