Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelchair Accessibile in work

• 24-06-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm been told I need a wheelchair but my job isn't very wheelchair accesble.
    Well techibally it is on the ground floor there's a wheelchair loo and there's a lift but the upstairs of the building isn't. Toilets are small and all doors have swipes and pads to get in and out they r up very high. Also all the doors are fire doors so are very heavy.
    What are my rights and what should I do??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

babs.jones wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm been told I need a wheelchair but my job isn't very wheelchair accesble.
    Well techibally it is on the ground floor there's a wheelchair loo and there's a lift but the upstairs of the building isn't. Toilets are small and all doors have swipes and pads to get in and out they r up very high. Also all the doors are fire doors so are very heavy.
    What are my rights and what should I do??

Have you spoken to your manager? Maybe point these things out to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

You are legally entitled to any 'reasonable accomodation' at 'nominal cost' to accomodate your disability under the Equal Status Acts. Check equality.ie for more information. Previous cases have interpreted 'reasonable' as being relative to the size of the organisation, so the expectation for a large organisation would be different to that for a small business. If you need to travel round the building to do your job, that I think it would be reasonable to get the swipe cards moved to an accessible height - probably around 1400m high. The fire doors can be addressed by fitting mag lock devices which hold them open during normal conditions, and let them close over when a fire alarm sounds. Don't forget that you need to plan for your safe evacuation as well. Can your lift be used in emergency?

Advertisement