Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 routers

• 24-06-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

i have 2 zyxel P-660HW-T1 v2 routers and i want to use the 2 of them at the same time. i have them linked together via the Ethernet ports and a long Ethernet(cat 5) cable. the main one with the phone line going into it has a gateway of 192.168.1.1 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0. i was wondering what settings should i put into the other router to make it link to the main router.
    sorry if i dont have the right lingo its hard to explain. any help would be appriciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Doesn't matter what the settings are, it won't work. You can't use 2 DSL routers together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Simple, Just login to the second and disable dhcp so it becomes an access point.
    You can set it with the same ssid (network name) and password as the first, but You must select a different wireless channel (if one is 11, make the other one 1)so they don't conflict, your laptops and devices should then roam from one wireless device to the other seamlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gav240

cheers appreciate the help

jor el wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what the settings are, it won't work. You can't use 2 DSL routers together.

You can if You stop the second routing, see post above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But some routers will mysterously re-enable their DHCP server. In my experience it's very unreliable (using a router as an airport/ wifi point only) unless one is running OpenWRT and you can *REALLY* disable everything except the WiFi <--> ethernet "bridge" function.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You can if You stop the second routing, see post above

I have tried that in the past, and it didn't work. Maybe it depends on the modem/router. Miner were Zyxel and Belkin (both of which are crap).

I've done it quite a few times, but mostly with Linksys routers, did it with the crappy Eircom Netopias also without any bother. Crappy routers like Belkin have a habit of resetting themselves to default from what I've seen. We use routers at work to dial pppoe every 30 seconds and keep a customer logged in, belkins can't do it for any length of time without getting stuck or resetting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

This is possible, I've done it before using D-Link and Buffalo devices.

Advertisement