Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Weeks in a Hiace In New Zealand in Winter?

Options
  • 24-06-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi guys just looking for some advice for a trip my girlfriend and I planning for next month.

We are planning on renting a converted Hiace for 6-7 weeks to travel from Auckland to Christchurch starting about the 26 July. Usually we would have no problem doing this but since its the winter in NZ we are worried about the weather. We've heard that it could be pissing rain for a week and be stuck in the van, and it also gets very cold down the south island at night. So should we be lookign at getting one of the bigger vans? I got a qoute from www.escaperentals.co.nz for the basic Hiace van for E1000 inc top insurance. But the quote for the larger vans from www.wildernessmotorhomes.co.nz/ is workign out to be E2700, but that includes shower/toliet etc. I dont think the budget can go that far!

Also we were wondering about the amount of time we have to do the trip. Is it a bit too much? We've heard that it would be no problem during the summer but again since it is winter is 6-7 weeks a bit too long? We dont want to come home hating New Zealand (and maybe each other;)), cos we were just hanging around for the sake of it. We're usually not big on staying in one place more than 3-4 days.

Thanks, any suggestions appreciated,
    Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Hi guys just looking for some advice for a trip my girlfriend and I planning for next month.

We are planning on renting a converted Hiace for 6-7 weeks to travel from Auckland to Christchurch starting about the 26 July. Usually we would have no problem doing this but since its the winter in NZ we are worried about the weather. We've heard that it could be pissing rain for a week and be stuck in the van, and it also gets very cold down the south island at night. So should we be lookign at getting one of the bigger vans? I got a qoute from www.escaperentals.co.nz for the basic Hiace van for E1000 inc top insurance. But the quote for the larger vans from www.wildernessmotorhomes.co.nz/ is workign out to be E2700, but that includes shower/toliet etc. I dont think the budget can go that far!

Also we were wondering about the amount of time we have to do the trip. Is it a bit too much? We've heard that it would be no problem during the summer but again since it is winter is 6-7 weeks a bit too long? We dont want to come home hating New Zealand (and maybe each other;)), cos we were just hanging around for the sake of it. We're usually not big on staying in one place more than 3-4 days.

Brian

Man - you crazy! If you had seen the weather down south last week with all the cars crashing in the snow/sleet/ice you would definitely think twice...I had been due to finish work but after trying to travel south Oz in winter (and failing due to bad weather) there is no way I would try it here...Even when we travelled south of Perth in Oz (Margaret river) we got a bit of cabin fever as we had to stay in out of the bad weather so much...and believe me it can be far worse here in NZ

At the moment here its not much different than an Irish winter - not as cold but its still winter and scarves\gloves etc are needed (although kiwis still walk around in shorts...f*cking loons)

As for 6-7 weeks...in winter, yes its prbably far too much time...in better weather then no...also remember, in bad weather you can spend far more money...can often be little else to do but hole up in a pub or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Can I recommend cruzycampers if you do intend on going on trip.

They are cheaper than the rest, they have converted roofs to give extra headroom and also give you extra blankets, hotwater bottles and a heater.
    Plus all cooking can be done inside van to save you having to go outside in the rain ie you can boil water inside for hotwater bottles.

I would recommend a diesel one though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Brianb8802 wrote: »

Brian

The weather can get hairy especially on some of the roads. Its deep winter now and you could get stuck for a day or two on a snowed in road. Whatever you do make sure you get snow chains!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

jank wrote: »
    The weather can get hairy especially on some of the roads. Its deep winter now and you could get stuck for a day or two on a snowed in road. Whatever you do make sure you get snow chains!!

F*ck it just rent a snow plough...make some cash while you're at it - could get yourself a funky jacket and jingle too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Why do people come to Nz in the winter when its nice in Ireland :) I'm looking out at a very grey Pacific ocean right now with Grey Skies and i'm already freezing in my house even though its only 3pm. I'm in wellington which is warmish compared to the South....I think you need to seriously rethink your itinerary!

Between Auckland and Christchurch in winter the only things i'd do are listed below. Before I get onto that I just want to say something.
    You're going to freeze

Ahem.

Now...

The reason I know this is I spent three of the most challenging weeks of my life in New Zealand in a Toyota Hiace travelling through much of the country below Auckland having done Northland in a car the week before. I did it in April so the weather was a good bit warmer and more predictable then now.

As practical, reliable and easy to park a Toyota Hiace may be, at night it turns into a bloody icebox. You MUST buy sleeping bags and thermals and bring every jumper your granny can knit.

If any part of your body (for me it kept being my arse) touches the sub-zero steel body during the night you'll instantly wake up and think you''re being mauled by a polar bear...its that cold! Juicy Campers gave us a fan heater which broke after 1 night to keep us warm. We used the flames from the gas cooker as a primative warmer, the second we turned it off it got cold again.

North Island will probably not be too bad at night in some areas but mountain areas or most of the South Island will be very cold at night.

Great time of year to ski, fish, hike if you like the challenge or climb a mountain. Being winter theres probably a lot of outdoor stuff like kayaking and rafting shut down or replaced with skiing at Tongarao.. If I was you after Auckland i'd visit Taupo, Rotorua, Taranaki and spend a few days in Wellington/Wairapa before the ferry and then drive around the Marlborough Sounds at the top of the North Island.

Further south, Nelson and the Abel Tasman won't be that amazing this time of year as a lot of the stuff shuts down for winter and many people leave/hibernate but they're one of my favorite places so might be worth a look considering you've got time. You could drive down the West coast and then go down to the Fox Glaciars or Mount Cook area for hiking and skiing. Also I'd highly recommend Arthurs Pass and Hanmer springs in winter though roads can be very treacherous and you'll need to keep warm at night. Great hotel in Arthurs Pass called Bealeys. Christchurch itself isnt much in the Winter IMO but there's a nice place nearby called Akaroa in the Banks Penninsular that's really cool.

New Zealand's winter weather, especially down south, is not to be fecked with so plan to maybe stay in motels or wrap up very warm if you're going to use the Hiace.

Feel free to PM me and meetup for a pint in wellington when you're passing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Sorry I just reread your post and you actually asked should you rent a bigger van...

If I was you I would ditch the van because its winter and just rent a car and stay in Motels/backpackers. The motels are okay but backpackers (hostels) in NZ are actually really really good. There are some excellent ones especially those in the BBH chain http://www.bbh.co.nz/. A car is much more fun and easy to drive and more economical and you'll meet loads of link minded travelers at a backpackers.

We found staying in the campervan on bad weather days was just not doable- you'll hate each other after the first few hours! Staying indoors with new friends, some booze and some boardgames in a nice warm hostel with a fire is the way to do it in winter! We met some great people in backpackers in NZ from all over the world and when it rained or froze it made the time much more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

Hmmm they're replies I thought might come up but was really hoping they wouldn't.
    FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    As for 6-7 weeks...in winter, yes its prbably far too much time...in better weather then no...also remember, in bad weather you can spend far more money...can often be little else to do but hole up in a pub or something
    Ya think we're gona cut it down to 4-5 weeks.
    Can I recommend cruzycampers if you do intend on going on trip.
    Thanks for that, gave them a shout earlier but they said they don't rent their campers during the winter. Not a good sign on the wheather is it!
    pclancy wrote: »
    Why do people come to Nz in the winter when its nice in Ireland :) I'm looking out at a very grey Pacific ocean right now with Grey Skies and i'm already freezing in my house even though its only 3pm. I'm in wellington which is warmish compared to the South....I think you need to seriously rethink your itinerary!
    Ya we'd love to travel around NZ during the summer, heard so many good stories. But currently we're on route to Oz via South/Central America, so this is the only time we can visit NZ. It will be a kick in the ass that alot of places will be quite or totally shut down.
    pclancy wrote: »
    Feel free to PM me and meetup for a pint in wellington when you're passing!
    Cool will do, thanks for the offer. You might have the kettle on for us so we can refill our hot water bottles :)

I PM'd darrenh for a bit of info because he did the trip at the same time last year. He was telling me the wilderness van he had has a diesel boiler that takes the edge off the cold nights, still need the thermals mind. It also has a bit more room and few mod cons to make things more comfortable like toliet/shower and TV/DVD. But all that means it's way more expensive to rent, but since it has the toliet and shower we'll probably freecamp most of the time. So we'll save a bit there. He also got snowed in for three days aswell.

It would be cool renting a plough though, only thing is what would I call it Plough King and Mr. Plough are taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

/looks out window at driving rain and wind

Don't do it!!!!!!

I second the suggestion of renting a car and staying in motels and backpackers. Motels are very reasonable here and of really good quality.

It really does get very cold though, especially down south. I'm in Wellington and it's bad enough! I had to sleep with three duvets last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

If it was me.i would hire a car and stay at backpackers or motels. Make sure whatever you rent is a 4wd, especially if you are straying off the main routes. No matter where you go on the south island you will encounter hills, the 4wd will handle the black ice or flooding better. Subaru legacys are really popular there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sorry to hijack this thread guys but when does the weather pick up in nz...is september warm enough or is it still cold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

September is the first month of spring there so it can still be cold but it does start picking up. canterbury had a fall of snow last year in october so the seasons can be all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Generally October is when you notice the nice weather coming in. We had some absolutely beautiful days in november last year too. I got caught unawares one day and got burned :o September is ok though. Really June, July and August are the bad months.

I moved to NZ at the beginning of a winter and it was horrible. For anyone readnig this who has done the same it does get better and the summer is worth it! :)

Advertisement