Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 07 - work needed

• 24-06-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Hi, last Saturday I agreed to buy a 07 Audi A4 2.0 TDI 140bhp from a Volkswagen dealer in Portumna. There were a few things to be done so he said they would service the car, fix everything up and have it ready by today.

There are 60,000 miles, no service book, central locking is gone, electric windows gone, inner lights gone, time belt to be done.

Now he said all this would be ready today and she'd be like brand new by the time I collect it. But it is still being worked on.

Would I be right to be a bit paranoid that all is not right with the car or they just being laid back. The salesman was off Mon-Wed which might explain something but has any one dealt with them before.

They have given me a 12 month warranty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The no service book would ring alarm bells with me, I would assume it was missing because the mileage on the service intervals don't match that on the car. Now the dealer currently selling may have bought it without the service history but someone somewhere knew what they were doing imo. How can the mileage or maintenance be verified? It could also make it very difficult for you to sell on again.

Also the fact that a 3 year old car has so many niggly electrical issues could potentially break your heart. Given the A4 is a common car and are expensive to buy I would not waste my time with one with so many question marks hanging over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

imo if the service book is "missing" coupled with niggly electrical issues, there is a lot more than 60k done on the car. CHeck the reg and see if its been imported would be my first thought.

I'd be steering well clear tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Knowing the garage they are generally very good with the cars but are well known as being over priced.

Ask them can you speak to the previous owner before handing money over. they are usually happy to do so in that garage if everything is ok. Also just a thought but I'd check for flood damage as those faults are all electrical...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

60k miles, all those faults, no SH? I hope it's cheap, very cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I personally have heard nothing but bad things about that particular dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

No service history is a dead ringer for a clocked car. Check the history of the car (was the car imported from the UK that is), and if so , walk away.
    Those Audi, VW and BMW diesels are the most common type of cars to be clocked from the UK.
    Typically, they are all about 3 years old with 20k per year done as milage. (when for sale here). Where as they really have about 50k a year done as rep mobiles in the uk. The cars are generally ok because they are all motorway miles and serviced on the button but the milage is quite high to resell, so they are usually just auctioned off to Paddy Dealer and end up sitting on your drive way with "no service history".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Run away from it quick. Why bother with something like that?
    There is no doubt that car will have been clocked. Also, should it even need a T belt at that mileage if it was the correct figure?
    The electrical issues could be down to one fault but if its more than one fault (if they come back and say they have fixed one issue but waiting on parts for other issue) tell him you are not interested. TBH, it must be a few hundred worth of repair when they wouldnt just fix it in preparation for sale.
    I would not buy it. Maybe its a fault which will keep returning? That would be a nightmare & add that to the very likely possibility of it having at east 150k miles on the clock & you could be throwing alot of cash away with this. Im assuming its cheap but better to spend the extra on a genuine 1 owner car with lots of history.

mickdw wrote: »
    TBH, it must be a few hundred worth of repair when they wouldnt just fix it in preparation for sale.

You need to see this dealers yard(s) to understand why they don't prep cars for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I won't comment on the mileage or SH - but all those electrical faults would set off alarm bells in my head - especially on a 3 year old car. It sounds as if there could potentially be water damage.

Yes they currently have nearly 600 used cars in stock according to carzone. :eek: There are fields of them parked up on top of each other. Some of them are parked there years with flat tyres and moss growing around the windows.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yes they currently have nearly 600 used cars in stock according to carzone. :eek: There are fields of them parked up on top of each other. Some of them are parked there years with flat tyres and moss growing around the windows.

I go up every now and again just to see it..........he used have over 2000 cars in stock. They bring in a car crusher every so often to get rid of the old stock, he won't even sell parts or anything off them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

johnos1984 wrote: »
    You need to see this dealers yard(s) to understand why they don't prep cars for sale

Apparently theres a method to the madness.

I go up every now and again just to see it..........he used have over 2000 cars in stock. They bring in a car crusher every so often to get rid of the old stock, he won't even sell parts or anything off them

They must be making some markup on the cars they sell to be able to afford to crush old stock like that.

You can check the accounts online of the business to see what the profit was and there is indeed method to the madness.

Then again if he realised all of those cars onto the used car market at once :eek:

I fail to understand why some dealers hold yards & fields full of cars. Many eventually going for crushing. Surely better to let them off by the lorry load for auction you would think.

mickdw wrote: »
    I fail to understand why some dealers hold yards & fields full of cars. Many eventually going for crushing. Surely better to let them off by the lorry load for auction you would think.

It would collapse the value of used cars. There was a rumour doing the rounds 12 months ago that this dealer was in trouble and with the prospect of over 1000 quality makes such as VW and Audi being released onto the used car market at once through no reserve auctions people were very nervous.

It would collapse the value of used cars. There was a rumour doing the rounds 12 months ago that this dealer was in trouble and with the prospect of over 1000 quality makes such as VW and Audi being released onto the used car market at once through no reserve auctions people were very nervous.

Yes in that circumstance but what I mean is why dont they regularily off load truck loads of part exchange stuff to the auction, many dealers do this anyway.

I understand what you mean now, I've questioned that myself but from speaking to people the dealers is known as a place where you can go to 'get what you want'.

In other words he has a car for everyone. I know of people who have traveled form Dublin to purchase for this very reason. Madness I think, once they name a price there is little or no negotiation (or thats how it used to be)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This the one?

media?id=9914556&width=400&height=300

Looks like it's been for sale for a while. Do you really want a car with that old skool diesel engine?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

OP said it was a 2.0tdi i think.

p.s. The price on that car above is mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Thanks guys for all your advice.

Car has not being imported from the UK, I have verified that thru motor check and a garda check.

He has given me the number of the previous owner so I will ring her later. Yes it is the car above, 17k was the agreed price. Most in that spec are more expensive I am of the opinion.
    He said the eclectrical fault in the central locking and windows was all linked together. Everything has being fixed now.

But someone mentioned flood damage. That could well be the case. I would be of the opinion the car is not clocked as the wear and tear symptoms did not seem excessive for a car with potential for 150k miles.

Decision time now, I am due to pick up the car this evening.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Without the history of the car I'd walk away tbh. Call the previous owner pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 c123

I dealt with them in the past and they were very good and genuine.Had no bother with either of the cars i got from them.Place is a little different from other garages-as others have pointed out-totally full of stock but thats the appeal you go and have a choice with them-something for everyone.Had no bother guarantees with them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Would you not go for a nice low mileage estate?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/Avant-2./201014197565654/advert?channel=CARS

Mileage on this is genuine (one of our ex.fleet vehicles), it drives well, has the better engine and should depreciate less than the saloon, being the sought after Avant model.

Should be some wiggle room on the price as well.

Advertisement