Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will a 'minnow' make it to the WC final?

• 24-06-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone else think it is highly likely now that one of the non-elite in football will become part of the new elite, by making it to this year's World Cup final?

While certain 'traditionalists' may be unhappy with this development, I think the time is right for this to happen. Also, I don't buy the argument that the quality of football is guaranteed to be less, just because less of the usual suspects will be around at the final stages.

Certainly the finalist could well come from the quadrant with USA/Uruguay/Ghana/S. Korea, but maybe a Japan or a Slovakia could surprise us further?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

If anyone was to, my bet would be Uruguay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the states should make it to the semis anyway imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Think its best world cup in which it could happen at this stage as many of the big teams seem to be gone or under pressure to perform.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

USA or Uruguay could certainly have a decent chance

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

forlan lifting the WC would be, ahem, memorable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Well one of USA/Ghana/Uruguay/S.Korea will be in the semi-final and I would fancy it will be Uruguay. However it is likely that they will have to face Brazil (or Holland) in the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Chile would be my bet at the minute for a shock winner ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

any team left in the comp could win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In World Cup terms Uruguay are anything but a minnow. They have won it twice you know but I understand what people are saying.

South Korea is the team I think has the best chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

conno16 wrote: »
    forlan lifting the WC would be, ahem, memorable
    He's not captain though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Bit weird seeing Uruguay being counted as minnows even if it's been decades since they done anything. I hope Ghana makes the semis just to keep an African team in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

One of

USA
    Uruguay
    South Korea
    Ghana

Will be in the semi-final for certain. In the semi final this team will play the winners of a Quarter final featuring either Paraguay or Japan. They way the draw has worker out, it is very possible that a minnow will make a the final actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does anyone else think it is highly likely now that one of the non-elite in football will become part of the new elite,

Like Greece post 2004?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Don't know anyone who'd be annoyed if one of the less historically successful teams made it through tbh. If I were to guess I'd say there'll be 2 South American teams and 1 European team in the SFs and the other will be South American or USA.

Would love to see Uruguay winning it all. It would be fantastic but I suspect it'll be one of the usual suspects Brazil/Argentina/Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Every chance of doing so which is good for the game.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    One of

USA
    Uruguay
    South Korea
    Ghana

Will be in the semi-final for certain. In the semi final this team will play the winners of a Quarter final featuring either Paraguay or Japan. They way the draw has worker out, it is very possible that a minnow will make a the final actually.

Paraguay/Japan are on the opposite side of the draw. Also don't forget Brazil will most likely be on the same side of the draw as USA/Uru etc Knockout stages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Stekelly wrote: »
    Like Greece post 2004?:)

Well, what I meant, is that World Cup winners, or maybe even finalists, are remembered better by people who don't really pay much attention to football - no matter what that team does afterwards.

I'd say if Greece had won the World Cup, rather than the Euros, more people across the world would recall it in years to come, and look back fondly!

I'd say if Greece had won the World Cup, rather than the Euros, more people across the world would recall it in years to come, and look back fondly!

They might recall it but Greece would have slid back into mediocrity just the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Paraguay/Japan are on the opposite side of the draw. Also don't forget Brazil will most likely be on the same side of the draw as USA/Uru etc Knockout stages

Correct. Apologies. They would have to play the winners of a Holland/Brasil quarter final.

• Advertisement

They might recall it but Greece would have slid back into mediocrity just the same.

Don't think you or I would necessarily mind if Ireland won a European Championship, and had a spell of patchy years after that though!

Don't think you or I would necessarily mind if Ireland won a European Championship, and had a spell of patchy years after that though!

Ireland are no Greece.:)

Ireland are no Greece.:)

They are better or worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

If Chile beat Spain, then Chile could go along way.

Now that'd be a victory for football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

It will be tough as the outsiders will have to go through Brazil/Netherlands to get to the final where they'll more than likely have to play Argentina/Germany/Spain/Portugal.

The only team i see doing it is Uruguay.

I would love to see a outsider win it but ill be a bit disappointed as this would have been a very good wc for ireland as every team seems beatable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    If Chile beat Spain, then Chile could go along way.

Now that'd be a victory for football.

Correction: A victory for football would be if Chile and Spain progressed, and the Swiss were sent home.

Edit......imagine Brazil v Chile and Spain v Portugal in the last 16........mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Theres only one team going to win it and thats England :p

Put you house on it lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'd love to see an unexpected winner of the World Cup though it'll probably one of the bigger teams that goes on to win anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd like to see a team playing positive, honest football win it, regardless of where they come from. That does rule out about 80% of the teams left in the tournament though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd like to see a team playing positive, honest football win it, regardless of where they come from. That does rule out about 80% of the teams left in the tournament though.

Or indeed, many of the winners of recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Japan it is then.

They are better or worse?

Well I cant see Ireland ever winning a WC or EC. Sure we cant even manage to qualify for the EC , nevermind win it.

On another note and in answer to people going on about a "victory for football" if certain team go through/get knocked out. Thats bull. Football is not all about attacking. A team that wins it based on a rock solid defence is as worthy a winner as any other.

I hate to burst people's bubbles but the players and teams are not going out there to entertain you, they are there to earn money and win things. Winning stuff involves playing to your strenghts. Theres no point in going out against Spain or Brazil with a team of technically very limited players and tryind to play attractive football. Thats how you get hammered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

To be honest i think the USA could go all the way to the final. I've got a score on it anyway's at 70/1 so i hope they do. Good team spirit should never be underestimated and on their day they can put it up to the best of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

no i dont think so it ill be holland vrs brazil final ya heard it here first

Advertisement