Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of public speaking

• 24-06-2010 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

I had to speak in front of a room of 50 people recently and was bricking it! It was getting closer and closer to my time to speak and my heart was RACING! I even looked down, and could see my chest pounding through my increasingly sweaty tshirt! Then when the time came, I stumbled and ran out of breath after one word. I eventually made it through, but was still in bits after for a while. Even the thought of speaking in front of people scares me.

Funny thing is, I present radio, and have no problem speaking on the radio!

Anyone else have this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I know someone who was terrified of public speaking and joined toastmasters. They're a lot better now but say they will never be 100% comfortable spaeking in front of people but at least now they can do it, and not badly.

I recommend you give it a go! You can look on their website for any meetings near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bazm0

Hi Fago, I have experienced similar feelings. In fact I'm trying to convene a speakers group to alleviate this issue. Just tried Toastmasters recently, it looked good, but unfortunately it doesn't run over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Yes, I know exactly where you're coming from! I couldn't even present on Radio as the same 'phobia' applies, in my case.

Personally, I have used beta blockers and benzodiazapenes (spelling!) to good effect when put into a position where I have to publicly speak (and know in advance). If you're not aware the options there you should talk to your GP about it. Just thought I'd mention it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DonalanFear

Hi Fago, Yes I think you could say that fear of public speaking is very normal. It is powered by fear of some sort - usually fear of embarrassing ourselves in public. That fear of embarrassment can be as intense as fear of death. It is how the upcoming talk is represented in your mind that generates the fear. As you said, you are comfortable presenting on radio. You obviously are an excellent and interesting speaker - now you just have to find a way to demonstrate your excellent public speaking ability in public! You represent an upcoming radio presentation in a different way in your mind. I used to terrified of public speaking too - I used to represent it in my mind as a sea of hostile faces looking at me - each and every one determined to humiliate me. The difference is now, I prepare as if I'm going to do the talk for a couple of friends in the pub, and I represent the talk in my mind as if I'm going to be talking to a couple of friendly people. When giving the talk, I make eye contact with one person at a time, they are the only one I am speaking to. Replacing fear with eagerness and anticipation makes a dramatic (pun intended) difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bazm0

Messymess, thanks for the information. Don't think I'll go down that road yet. I'd like to just try to get more practice in speaking publicly. I do think it is phobic behaviour, the corollary being that confronting (however unnerving that may be) the central issue must prove to be better than living in fear/anxiety. Thanks though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

bazm0 wrote: »
    Hi Fago, I have experienced similar feelings. In fact I'm trying to convene a speakers group to alleviate this issue. Just tried Toastmasters recently, it looked good, but unfortunately it doesn't run over the summer.

I was gonna go down the toast masters road. might do it eventually!

Advertisement