Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Driver Ranges

• 25-06-2010 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey,I didnt really know what to call this so I hope its not too misleading.In a nutshell I have my provisional and I've done 5 driving lessons on actual roads used by everyone.However I get really nervous and unconfident so Im just wondering if anyone knows any learner driver ranges/areas where youre instructed and the area is only used by learners.Ive hears theres one in Kildare and one in Maynooth but I know nothing on them.
    Cheers in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Doodle53 wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone knows any learner driver ranges/areas where youre instructed and the area is only used by learners.
    Pretty much every business park in the country outside of rush hour tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

Sorry no I didnt mean that,like,courses if you get me? I mean like an actual business owning an area/range where they take you around and its only that business and its employees that use it.
    Sorry I cant really explain it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I get you, you're looking for a private track/road that learners can avail themselves of. I'm afraid that I don't know of any such facility. My point is that buisness parks serve this purpose very well. Outside of rush and lunch hours, most are very quiet, they are all speed restricted, and they tend to have lots of places to pull over if you need a break at any stage.

I can understand the appeal of having an area all to yourself, but I don't think it would be productive. You can develop all the confidence in the world pootling around in a sandbox, but it will go straight out the window when you have to rejoin the real world and interact with other road users.

If you feel your instructor is pushing you too hard, talk to him, and if needs be make a change. Just do bear in mind that instructors will need to take you out of your comfort zone (in measured doses) so that you keep developing. It's also natural that you will have setbacks, and it's important that the instructor recognizes these and lowers the intensity for a while if needs be.

If you don't mind me asking: what sort of roads have you driven on so far, and how have you handled them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I only know of the one in Maynooth.
    http://www.leinsterdrivingcampus.ie/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

spurious wrote: »
    I only know of the one in Maynooth.
    http://www.leinsterdrivingcampus.ie/index.html

Cheers

Emm...I've driven on pretty much every road : Dual-Carriageways,housing estates,main roads,country roads etc...I just get nervous so I thought the campus idea would help then I can go back out into the real world.Im only 18 so Ive time to develop ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I think it's a crazy idea. Just start driving. Stay away from rush hour traffic and roads you are not familiar with until you have more confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I drove on empty roads when I started and tbh it did me no good. When I saw traffic I freaked out. Try to go out early in the morning OP, there are barely any cars on the road so you can slowly get used to other traffic.

Advertisement