Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where have the baby swans gone?

Options
  • 25-06-2010 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

I was walking along by the burrin the other day and there were 5 baby swans or cygnets to use the proper word. Today there was only two left!! Has someone been eating them? Are the people of carlow so ignorant and self absorbed they can't look after a few swans on this dirty awful eyesore of a river flowing through the centre of town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I was walking along by the burrin the other day and there were 5 baby swans or cygnets to use the proper word. Today there was only two left!! Has someone been eating them? Are the people of carlow so ignorant and self absorbed they can't look after a few swans on this dirty awful eyesore of a river flowing through the centre of town?

if your so concerned why arn't you down minding them 24/7? it's possible a rat could have eaten them either.

theres 5/6 on the barrow at lanigans lock, so possibly they made their way there or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

They grew up. Now they are just Big Swans.. :)

Yeah I would say Pat is right, They may have just been off exploring when you passed..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Why is it the people of Carlow's job to look after a few cygnets? Don't they have Parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Why is it the people of Carlow's job to look after a few cygnets? Don't they have Parents?

Totally agree always the parents fault!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Are the people of carlow so ignorant and self absorbed they can't look after a few swans on this dirty awful eyesore of a river flowing through the centre of town?

Would you ever cop on to yourself.
    if it's so important to you then go and do something about it instead of doing nothing but complain the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

racso1975 wrote: »
    Totally agree always the parents fault!!

I seen the parents falling out of Scraggs the other day at 5pm, disgraceful! But sure dont you know they'll be on Jeremy Kyle someday anyway with the headlines 'You've been seen with other swans - are those cygnets really mine?!'

Sorry :o

As far as I'm away there hasnt been that many issues with the swans this summer, so far anyway. With all the work going on on the Barrow track I'd presume a lot of them have been disturbed as they'd often go up on the grass bank along there and tend to themselves. Cant say about the cygnets, would people eat them? :eek: (bloody foreigners, coming over here and eating all our cygnets! :p), perhaps nature took its course, survival of the fitest and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Burp!
    Oops, sorry.

It could be natural predation, but more likely it's any number of completely harmless things... the others could have been out of sight further along the river, or they may have been from different families and simply returned to their parents, or they might not even be the same ones you saw earlier. And as already said, many swans congregate on the Barrow so they may have paddled on to there.

I wouldn't worry about seeing 5 cygnets one day then only 2 a few days later, swans are very protective of their offspring so there's a good chance they're ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Must be those damned Poles again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    their was no need for the Racist comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

SIX PACK wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Bob_Harris wrote: »

I think he could be onto something!! I seen a pole in the Burrin the other day, I was going into the carpark and there on the right hand side was a big pole! Must have been about 10ft, bloody big one.

Dont know where it came from or what it was, but someone obviously nicked it from somewhere and fecked it in the water!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm and not racism

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Are the people of carlow so ignorant and self absorbed.....

Advertisement