Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie Food in Mickey Ds

Options
  • 25-06-2010 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I'm not a veggie myself, but I thought I'd pass on the info.

I was in McDonalds the other day and they have a new wrap on the menu with a veggie burger filling. They didn't have veggie stuff before did they?

I guess there could be an animal product hidden somewhere in the wrap - check first before you order it and blame me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Cheers op. I'm pretty sure they used to do veggie burgers years ago but stopped. I seem to remember getting them there before anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

The only thing I would get on the rare occasions I wander in would be the fries, because apparently they are vegan quality too?

Just makes them sound ALOT safer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I wouldn't give them 1 cent of my hard earned...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I'm certain them or BK had a quorn burger for a while although I don't know if it ever reached Ireland! To be honest I haven't had a Mc's or BK in around 4 years, don't think I'll be tempted anytime soon, although their chips are yum:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

BK do a nice bean burger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I never order anything in there, not even a drink, haven't done for nearly a decade. I despise the company and everything it stands for.

But thanks for the tip :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

I think their curly fries, onion rings and apple pies are vegan too. But I try not to go in there (or other chain fast food places), the food is absolute crap and well on the whole they obviously cause too much animal suffering no matter whether they stock vegan stuff or not! However sometimes it's just impossible to avoid if you're on a long journey and the people driving only want to stop at McD's, BK or Supermac's!

As far as fast burgery-fries type food goes I'd rather just go get a veggie kebab from Zaytoon or, well, go to any other chipper, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I had coffee in one in Holland a few years ago, that's about it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I really liked the veggie wrap! =]

I know I'm a bit biased because I was a McD minion but I won't boycott them because to me they stand for the same things any other restaurant that sells meat stands for. Though yeah, up to each person to decide of course :)

As for hidden animal things, the ingredients aren't up on their website yet and it never occurred me to ask the very sleepy person working on drive thru. It's more than likely not vegan anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I always wondered about people who eat veggie burgers out of fastfood joints. I mean I'm assuming they're cooked alongside the regular burgers, would that not bother ye? I don't eat fast food but if I did that would definitely put me off them.

• Advertisement

G86 wrote: »
    I mean I'm assuming they're cooked alongside the regular burgers, would that not bother ye?

In fairness they're not. Bean burgers and veggie burgers are deep fried with the fries. My objection in giving money to them is that the profits made from veggie burgers etc will still go supporting a business founded and sustained on the beef industry.

but I won't boycott them because to me they stand for the same things any other restaurant that sells meat stands for.
    You think other restaurants stand for the rape of rain forests for beef production, loading fats and sugars into otherwise reasonably healthy food and branding over substance? I don't agree.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    You think other restaurants stand for the rape of rain forests for beef production, loading fats and sugars into otherwise reasonably healthy food and branding over substance? I don't agree.

+1

anyone who gives a damn about this planet, veggie or otherwise, should stay well away

If they serve meat, yes. I don't really take into account how much the business actually relies on the production of meat. It's all wrong in my opinion, and unfortunately I can't avoid it all so I don't think I'd make a real difference by trying.

As for loading fats and sugars into otherwise reasonably healthy food... well, in fairness, all restaurants do that. In fact when people complain about how unhealthy a McD burger is they tend to quote the amount of calories it contains, but if they were to make a burger at home it would still contain the same amount of calories. Also you can look at the ingredients they use, compare to ingredients you use at home, and a lot of the time there's the same preservatives and nasty crap in both.
    I think fast food places tend to get a lot of bashing from people who haven't bothered to compare with any other restaurant. Also, homemade doesn't always mean better. It all depends on what your food choices are.

the nutritional content isn't really that important, there is a much bigger, uglier picture

http://www.mccruelty.com/

Absurdum wrote: »
    the nutritional content isn't really that important, there is a much bigger, uglier picture

http://www.mccruelty.com/

I do realise that. What I'm saying is that it'll be cruel to animals regardless of where their flesh is served. Yes, McD is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) sellers of meat, but any other restaurant that sells meat will also be part of that. Do you really think only McD uses those killing methods? Do you avoid restaurants that sell meat?

Thing is, I don't see it as actually supporting the meat industry if I'm not actually buying a meat based product, since they do actually monitor what sells more and less and they change their business appropriately. In the hypothetical case that no one bought a single burger, they would stop selling them. Since I don't care how much profit they make, I don't mind buying something without meat in one of their outlets.

I used to work for them. You'd be surprised how many vegetarians go to McD every day. In fact they sell Big Macs with no meat (they even have a name for them that I can't remember and used to confuse me loads when I started >_<) and double cheeseburgers with no meat.

As for loading fats and sugars into otherwise reasonably healthy food... well, in fairness, all restaurants do that. In fact when people complain about how unhealthy a McD burger is they tend to quote the amount of calories it contains, but if they were to make a burger at home it would still contain the same amount of calories. Also you can look at the ingredients they use, compare to ingredients you use at home, and a lot of the time there's the same preservatives and nasty crap in both.

All restuarants don't do that.
    The calories come from the fats and sugars.
    I do not use "preservatives and nasty crap" at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

IIn fact they sell Big Macs with no meat (they even have a name for them that I can't remember and used to confuse me loads when I started >_<)

They call it a Woah-Mac or something like that.

All restuarants don't do that.
    The calories come from the fats and sugars.
    I do not use "preservatives and nasty crap" at home.
    Fats and sugar. Those people who like to pour melted butter on their fried eggs come to mind. Or syrup on their pancakes.

Preservatives and nasty crap... Do you make all your own food? Most food that comes ready made comes with some less than desirable stuff. There's a reason I make most of the bread I eat at home. Though tbh chemicals in food don't really bother me all that much.
    ztoical wrote: »
    They call it a Woah-Mac or something like that.

Haha those! I wonder how it's actually spelt.

Though tbh chemicals in food don't really bother me all that much.
    Are you still on their payroll?

• Advertisement

Are you still on their payroll?

Of course not! Lol sorry if I sound all defensive and stuff. I don't mean to be. But that's actually what I think of this whole thing so.. :)

you are Ronald McDonald.

Woah, thank you for that honour. So now I'm a ridiculous clown because I don't think a restaurant (fast food or otherwise) must be singled out just because it's the biggest one taking part in some seriously wrong practices?
    Were we talking about Burger King, would you call me the same name? Very nice, of you :rolleyes:

To the OP, sorry for hijacking the thread btw.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

actually they don't care, at, all. You are just singling out the most popular one.
    Wahey capitalism is wrong, here is some marx, Chavez?:confused:

also when linking to mcdonald badness(which i agree they are as you say), please don't use PETA, they are no better no matter how they dress themselves up.

actually they don't care, at, all.
    Some obviously do. I'm sure you've eaten in them.
    You are just singling out the most popular one.
    Not at all. McDs is what the thread is about. I don't support any fast food chain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

One or two per thousands I'd guess. Still would like to see where they get all their ingredients from. I am just saying before picking out one chain, 99% of restaurants/hotels/b&bs/hostels<establishmentthatservesfood> follow the same ethos, chain or not, having worked in a few myself, and I'm sure most with a problem with mc donalds eat in them. Mc donalds are particularly bad, but that is due to their success alone and the rest would do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Mc donalds are particularly bad, but that is due to their success alone and the rest would do the same.
    I'm sure they would. To me, the point is that, at the moment, they are not doing the same. Therefore, faced with the choice of supporting the symbol of the meat industry, which does the most damage, or a smaller player, I'll support the smaller player. I'm not comfortable supporting McDonalds. Others are free to disagree, but it's my money and I'll do what I want with it.

I'd still prefer to support a completely vegetarian/vegan restaurant, of course, but that's not always practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

So has anyone tried the new wrap thingy yet? Don't eat at a mickey d's very often but would be open to a new 'drunk food' to go with bk's bean burger. :)

SomeFool wrote: »
    So has anyone tried the new wrap thingy yet? Don't eat at a mickey d's very often but would be open to a new 'drunk food' to go with bk's bean burger. :)

I have! It's very nice ^^
    Oh yeah and it's also good as drunk food. That's exactly how i tried it :p

• Advertisement

Breezer wrote: »
    I'm sure they would. To me, the point is that, at the moment, they are not doing the same. Therefore, faced with the choice of supporting the symbol of the meat industry, which does the most damage, or a smaller player, I'll support the smaller player. I'm not comfortable supporting McDonalds. Others are free to disagree, but it's my money and I'll do what I want with it.

I'd still prefer to support a completely vegetarian/vegan restaurant, of course, but that's not always practical.

But they are doing the same, just not to the extent and they follow the same ethos. One using more battery eggs than another because they have more customers makes them worse? etc Obv a lot aren't as bad as mcds but I can't see a whole lot of difference. I'd prefer to avoid them as much as possible too btw, but I think it's wise to support veggie options in places, or they just are not there. If you support something that is ethically friends, there is more of it, pretty much. Otherwise they take it off the shelves. Not ideal I know, supporting places that would do things against your beliefs, not always practical to do everything like you want though, as you said

Advertisement