Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie Food in Mickey Ds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

But they are doing the same, just not to the extent and they follow the same ethos.
    Yep, that was my point.
    One using more battery eggs than another because they have more customers makes them worse? etc Obv a lot aren't as bad as mcds but I can't see a whole lot of difference.
    I think it does make them worse, yes. If meat-eating society is going to force me to play a numbers game, rather than an all-or-nothing game, then I'm going to side with the ones doing the least damage, regardless of their reasons for doing less damage.
    I'd prefer to avoid them as much as possible too btw, but I think it's wise to support veggie options in places, or they just are not there. If you support something that is ethically friends, there is more of it, pretty much. Otherwise they take it off the shelves. Not ideal I know, supporting places that would do things against your beliefs, not always practical to do everything like you want though, as you said
    On the other hand, if enough people don't support them at all, everything comes off the shelf, and the company folds. I can only control myself, not others, so the most I can do to help achieve that goal is not to support the company myself.

I'm not going to win that battle, obviously, which I guess is where your argument that it's better to at least use consumer power to direct some of its profits towards veggie-friendly options comes in. I'm not sold on that one though, to be honest. I'm not convinced that giving McDonald's extra profit, some of which will go towards producing veggie-friendly products, is better than giving them no profit, none of which will go towards the slaughter of animals and destruction of the environment.

From a personal point of view, due to the reasons outlined above, I really don't care if there's a veggie option on McDonald's menu, so the fact that I'm not helping to keep it there doesn't bother me. Sorry if this causes offence to anyone, I'm just being brutally honest.

I realise all this applies to pretty much every restaurant/food manufacturer that uses meat in some way. Our argument seems to come down to a difference of opinion on whether scale makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

I think their curly fries, onion rings and apple pies are vegan too. But I try not to go in there (or other chain fast food places), the food is absolute crap and well on the whole they obviously cause too much animal suffering no matter whether they stock vegan stuff or not! However sometimes it's just impossible to avoid if you're on a long journey and the people driving only want to stop at McD's, BK or Supermac's!

As far as fast burgery-fries type food goes I'd rather just go get a veggie kebab from Zaytoon or, well, go to any other chipper, really.

Just a heads up, although the curly fries, apple pies and onion rings are all veggie ingrediants, these products are actually cooked in the vat with chicken nuggets and fish rather than the vats with chips as they are cooked at a different temp. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Just a heads up, although the curly fries, apple pies and onion rings are all veggie ingrediants, these products are actually cooked in the vat with chicken nuggets and fish rather than the vats with chips as they are cooked at a different temp. :)

I think this probably depends on the restaurant. In the one I used to work in we had a separate vat for these things. It might be a good idea to ask, though admittedly they aren't known for being helpful :rolleyes: (Always ask a manager)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I think this probably depends on the restaurant.
    Seriously Dude. McDiscretion?

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Seriously Dude. McDiscretion?

No. It's called franchise rules. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm a dudette not a dude. At least get that right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

I do realise that. What I'm saying is that it'll be cruel to animals regardless of where their flesh is served. Yes, McD is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) sellers of meat, but any other restaurant that sells meat will also be part of that. Do you really think only McD uses those killing methods? Do you avoid restaurants that sell meat?

/QUOTE]

Yes....I'm a vegetarian.....

So you NEVER go to non-vegetarian restaurants? God, I never realised you had to be so strict to consider yourself a vegetarian. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

So you NEVER go to non-vegetarian restaurants? God, I never realised you had to be so strict to consider yourself a vegetarian. :rolleyes:
    It depends really on the moral and ethical views you have, and proximity you wish to have towards meat and by-products of animal tissue I would say.

Personally, I have no problem eating in restaraunts that have meat on a menu, once the food I'm getting is veggie, and nobody expects me to eat a meat dish then that'll do fine.

It depends really on the moral and ethical views you have, and proximity you wish to have towards meat and by-products of animal tissue I would say.

Personally, I have no problem eating in restaraunts that have meat on a menu, once the food I'm getting is veggie, and nobody expects me to eat a meat dish then that'll do fine.

Yeah I know. I just found it very odd that this person seemed to suggest that if you had a meal in a restaurant that wasn't exclusively vegetarian, you wouldn't really be considered a vegetarian.
    But anyway, of course whatever you do is up to yourself and your own moral convictions.

Yeah I know. I just found it very odd that this person seemed to suggest that if you had a meal in a restaurant that wasn't exclusively vegetarian, you wouldn't really be considered a vegetarian.
    But anyway, of course whatever you do is up to yourself and your own moral convictions.
    Exactly what I would be thinking...personal perogative et al...

Each to their own and all that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Exactly what I would be thinking...personal perogative et al...

Each to their own and all that :)
    Yep, exactly. This thread has gotten very heated! Just to clarify that I'm not some sort of militant vegan type and was only stating my own personal view, and I apply my standards solely to myself :)

I'm sure we all figured that out anyway, sure this is Boards...where opinion counts and you can fight to the death as a keyboard warrior:D

It got a little heated yes, but discussion tends to do that at times:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Washout wrote: »
    BK do a nice bean burger

Careful. Not sure about Ireland, but I noticed in England when I was there that on their menu, they had both a Veggie Burger and a Bean Burger (as they had here).

However, it was pointed out on the menu that the Bean Burger, though not containing any meat, was fried in the same frier as their fish products.

The Veggie Burger is approved by the VegSoc and is not fried with any meat products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

To be honest, although people are saying they are cooked in different vats, laziness and the store being busy could result in the veggie stuff being put into the wrong vat..

I always ask everywhere I go if the stuff is cooked separately, could you change your gloves I'm a vegetarian...I kind of feel like a police officer sometimes! Haha!

Some of these posts here are a bit prejudiced. Every one has their own choices, to eat where and what they want to. I don't see the point in arguing about differences of opinions that aren't really going to get anywhere. A persons opinion is their own.

I'm happy avoiding McD's, but that is mainly because I'm trying to eat healthy and lose a birra weight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

The only thing I would get on the rare occasions I wander in would be the fries, because apparently they are vegan quality too?

Just makes them sound ALOT safer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

I find it puzzling how many vegetarians single out fast-food joints for the cruelty they inflict upon non-human animals when, at the same time, they themselves purchase milk-chocolate and ice-cream etc. without hardly paying a thought to where those animal products have come from.

Also, saying that its OK to eat in one restaurant and not another because one is bigger than the other is completely illogical. By eating in a family restaurant which uses battery-eggs, you are demanding the same amount of cruelty as you are when you eat in a fast-food restaurant which uses battery-eggs!
    It's like saying, 'ooh, the small restaurant and the big restaurant use the same battery-egg source as one another, but that's not the point. If I consume one egg in the smaller restaurant instead of in the bigger one, I will somehow magically be responsible for less suffering and my conscience can rest easy.' hmmm... how does that one work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Waterloo Sunset

Gosh, I didn't expect this thread to turn into such a heated debate! I just wanted to tell you guys about the new veggie (not 100% sure which fryer they cook it in or if it's microwaved though so it'd be worth asking first) option from a drunk take out and/or places everyone goes that never have a veggie option point of view.

If a company like McDs offers a veggie option though, shouldn't it be supported? By doing that wouldn't it be encouraging a change in attitude toward less cruely/more choice for veggie customers and be beneficial long term? If you write it off completely, a company like McDonalds will never change because it won't make a difference to their bottom line, which is what every business is thinking of whether local, or global or even more ethical vegetarian restaurants.

Plus if you buy chips in your local chipper while everyone around you is ordering fish/batter sausage/kebabs I really can't see how it's different to McDonalds just because it's local/smaller.

If a company like McDs offers a veggie option though, shouldn't it be supported? By doing that wouldn't it be encouraging a change in attitude toward less cruely/more choice for veggie customers and be beneficial long term? If you write it off completely, a company like McDonalds will never change because it won't make a difference to their bottom line, which is what every business is thinking of whether local, or global or even more ethical vegetarian restaurants.

Absolutely. If every McDonalds customer only bought fries or vegetarian burgers from now on then McDonalds would produce nothing else but these products. An increase in demand for fries does not and cannot equal increased demand for or supply of, say, burgers. Therefore, I see no moral issue for vegetarians.

That said, if one was to purchase a vegetarian burger for ethical reasons why would they even bother? I mean, you can pretty much guarantee that McDonalds use battery eggs in their veg. burgers so one would not actually be helping any animals, they would just be sparing the cow and sacrificing the hen instead!

Also, regardless of their welfare, when the productivity of a hen or dairy-cow drops below a certain level they are slaughtered and made into meat. By consuming even the most "humane" free-range eggs and milk people are demanding, by sustaining these industries & their practices, that these animals be killed.
    If I may speak frankly, the consumption of meat is in no way different to the consumption of milk/eggs because both ultimately involve and, to stay profitable, require the killing of the animal involved; its just that the former involves direct killing and the latter, indirect killing.

I am not getting on a soapbox. I just want to share my point of view, as off topic as it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

You'd think on a forum for vegetarians and vegans the majority of posters would understand the concept of answering to your own conscience. I won't lose sleep because some of you think I have no basis for not giving my money to McDonald's. I choose not to and I know exactly why I choose not to. If you think buying a token veggie product will change their corporate mindset than off you go. Each to their own.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    You'd think on a forum for vegetarians and vegans the majority of posters would understand the concept of answering to your own conscience. I won't lose sleep because some of you think I have no basis for not giving my money to McDonald's. I choose not to and I know exactly why I choose not to. If you think buying a token veggie product will change their corporate mindset than off you go. Each to their own.

Hey Slaphead077, nobody was attacking you so I don't think there's any need for you to go on the defensive here. People are just pointing out why they think you're wrong on this issue; they aren't trying to force you to do anything you don't want to do. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement