Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick's Retail Strategy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    You Do Know that this is a proposed Shopping Centre, NOT A Concert Hall or Theatre.
    By the way technically we all own the opera centre now....Anglo-Irish bank are stakeholders and they have been nationalised by the government.

Must pop down and lay claim to a nice section for myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    You Do Know that this is a proposed Shopping Centre, NOT A Concert Hall or Theatre.
    By the way technically we all own the opera centre now....Anglo-Irish bank are stakeholders and they have been nationalised by the government.

lol. Hadnt spotted that. Argued fairly strongly on a subject he clearly knew very little about :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

Anglo had/have a 50% interest in the Opera Centre. It is definitely not going ahead now.

Also I must emphasise the point made by mgbgt1978 (it took 30 replies to get made!), the "Opera" centre is merely another boutique shopping complex--there is no connection with music or the arts. No chance the city would invest in a real multi-disciplinary arts centre?

Waterford (pop. 45,000) has at least three theatre spaces (Theatre Royal, Garter Lane, The Forum) with City Hall and WRTC often used for shows too.

For the last year or two, all we've had is the Belltable-on-Sea in Cecil St. Very few people even know it's there, since there is risible signage. It's great to see The Loft venue opening up above the Locke bar, but that's running on a shoestring and the mere fumes of goodwill.

More shopping? That's the last thing we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

zuroph wrote: »
    lol. Hadnt spotted that. Argued fairly strongly on a subject he clearly knew very little about :rolleyes:
    D:

I feel it necessary to inform Boards that my hair is indeed blonde and I will more than likely make another idiot of myself in the times to come.

Just as well I opted out of that meet up for now eh? :cool:

Advertisement