Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking Periwinkles

• 25-06-2010 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Vinnie70

Hi guys,

I'm heading down to Kilkee for the weekend and was wondering if anyone can tell me where to go picking periwinkles? I've promised the kids I'd bring them but I cant remember where I went the last time ( which incedently was years ago ! ). I think there is a turn down to the left a couple of miles before Kilkee but I'm only guessing. If anyone knows I'b be greatful. I know they are sold in Kilkee but the novelty for the kids to pick and cook them would be brill.

Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Vinnie.

Don't cook them at all.
    The real way to eat em is raw, Stick a toothpick into the shell and extract
    the flesh.
    The taste is almost orgasmic.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Just head down to the Pollock Holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You must go to Querrin Vinnie. Turn down at Lisdeen cross, thats on the Kilrush side of Kilkee, right turn if you are coming out of town, Keanes pub is there. Querrin is about 5-6 km down there. They collect them all along the shore on the rocks and stones.
    Make sure it's a low tide. Enjoy the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭eamo12

Vinnie.

Don't cook them at all.
    The real way to eat em is raw, Stick a toothpick into the shell and extract
    the flesh.
    The taste is almost orgasmic.....

Yes, but it is the look of them I can't stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 bookworm2

eamo12 wrote: »
    Yes, but it is the look of them I can't stand.

no no no, fry them off in a little real butter and crushed garlic cloves!!! THATS orgasmic!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Pick them out of the shell the same way as you would pick your nose. :p

We use to call them sea snots as kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 bookworm2

Pick them out of the shell the same way as you would pick your nose. :p

We use to call them sea snots as kids.
    .............i used to use a needle to get out the peri-winkles,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wouldnt advise a nose picker to use this info.....

You're better off heading to Kilrush and going out to Brews bridge if you want to go picking winkles. You'll have the whole beach to yerselves and at low tide ye should come away with a very decent haul.

Advertisement