Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Horse Meat?

Options
  • 25-06-2010 1:38am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I'm not looking for a debate or a lecture so before anyone calls me cruel or whatever else, stfu, it's tasty.

I know a fair few Chefs and some damned good home cooks from around the country post here and was wondering if any of you know where I could either (a) buy horse meat fresh in Ireland or (b) have delivered after buying online or something?

Mods, please note before some idiot comes in saying "reported, it's against the law here", it is perfectly legal to both slaughter horse for human consumption and buy horse meat for human consumption in Éire & The UK so don't react to the myth. I would also ask you to remove/edit any comments that go OT. Like I said I am not looking for a debate or a lecture or anyone's opinion, I would just like to know if it is possible to buy Horsemeat from any butchers, if anyone here knows of a butcher who might supply it or if anyone here knows where I can order some from.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Seaneh wrote: »
    stfu, it's tasty.

Where did you taste it before Seaneh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

mikom wrote: »
    Where did you taste it before Seaneh?

France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Seaneh wrote: »
    France.

Guess the guys from the Kerrygold ad finally worked it out so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

mikom wrote: »
    Guess the guys from the Kerrygold ad finally worked it out so.

T'would seem so.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,490 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've never heard of it being sold in Ireland. There seems to be some sort of taboo about eating horse here? I suppose if you keep a horse as a pet, you wouldn't really like the thought of eating one, same way as people wouldn't want to eat dogs or cats.

To me a horse is like a cow or a pig. I'd eat it no problem. Last time I had a horse fillet steak is a long time ago though but it was very nice :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

What does it taste like? Would it be similar to anything else? Horses always look very muscular- would the meat be very tough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Where would the meat come from if the animal wasn't muscular? :confused:

Seaneh where have you tried so far, I've read on boards before that Divilly's in westside do/order speciality meat for people on request, I've never looked for any yet though. Might be a place to start anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had it in both Holland and Belgium .. you even get special horse butchers there. Also I was talking to someone from Italy the other day who said that a lot of salami there is made from donkey meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've had it here in Dublin at a food market - deelish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,490 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thumpette wrote: »
    What does it taste like? Would it be similar to anything else? Horses always look very muscular- would the meat be very tough?

Horse fillet steak tastes very similar to beef fillet steak. Juicier and leaner if anything.

As per Alun's point, every Dutch town / suburb used to have its own horse butchers, selling horse meat only. Every Dutch supermarket still sells this smoked horse fillet - I bet Alun will be familiar with this:

1247277945_78a8f38499.jpg
    Alun wrote: »
    I was talking to someone from Italy the other day who said that a lot of salami there is made from donkey meat.

Funny you mention that. Someone told me recently that chorizo (Spanish sausage similar to Italian salami) was made from donkey meat. A quick google however showed that was untrue and there were checks in place to ensure donkey meat was NOT used for chorizo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

unkel wrote: »
    Horse fillet steak tastes very similar to beef fillet steak. Juicier and leaner if anything.
    100% agree. The first time I had horse was in my work restaurant (far from being a canteen :)). I thought that I had just gotten a really cracking steak. When I realised it was horse I was a tad put off, but soon came to enjoy it & be comfortable eating it. FFS - I'd eat anything that walked, swam or flew - so why not "Dobbin"? :D

There's a "Pferd Metzger" (horse butcher) around the corner from me here in Bern. All he does is horse & horse products - quite a few sausages & dried meat. He's always busy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

I had some nice Horse meals in Lake Garda in Italy. A starter with shredded Horses and thinly sliced Horse steak with Olive oil balsamic vinegar particularly stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I had it in China and it tasted just like ham to be honest. i asked my gf several times if it was pig but she was very clear that it was horse. It was expensive and i was totally underwhelmed.
    Dog now..thats another story ...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Like ham? Must have been some strange horse. Had it been marinated in something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Try

Irish Horse Abattoir Trading Co Ltd

Telephone Number: 01-6288454

Address:
    Turnings Lower Staffan
    Naas Co. Kildare

I don't know if they are still trading. There is also a horse abattoir in Kilkenny. All the meats in these abattoirs are slaughtered for export - but they may be able to accomodate you.

BF Meats, Dungannon also process horse meat for both animal feed and human consumption.

BF Meats
    16 Northland Row
    Dungannon, IRL BT71 6AP
    028 8772 2988

• Registered Users Posts: 1 viman

well in italy (BARI) we eat a lot of horse meat ....i have just bought some today at the saturday market in temple bar ...it was not the best but still good probably because i cooked it in the pan instead of BBQ....hope to find horse steak soon

Advertisement