Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sidecar Rules.

• 25-06-2010 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭

Maybe someone can clear this up for me. Myself and two friends are considering going in thirds on a Ural Dalesman with sidecar. This is a Russian bike which is 750cc, 29kw/40bhp.

None of us have full licences so the question is this:

If we were only to drive this bike with the sidecar attached, there's a good chance that the power/weight ratio would be brought within learner legal levels. However, perhaps the rules on this relate only to the power-weight ratio of the bike alone?

What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Not sure about the power to weight issue, but one thing to be aware of as you say neither of you have full licenses is that you're not allowed use a bike with a sidecar for the test, just in case you were considering that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Not sure about the power to weight issue, but one thing to be aware of as you say neither of you have full licenses is that you're not allowed use a bike with a sidecar for the test, just in case you were considering that.
    That's ok, Mike - we wouldn't be doing the test on it. I have my own bike for that. Just wondering about whether or not we can actually buy and ride this bike. We definitely can't ride it without the sidecar (unless we get it restricted). But I'd like to know if we can ride it with sidecar attached (because of the extra weight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

considering they sell this as factory fitted kit and under specific model name different to Solo model makes me believe that it will qualify for power to weight rule but this can be verified with RSA

another thing is.....you cant carry passengers without full license....

Ratchet wrote: »
    considering they sell this as factory fitted kit and under specific model name different to Solo model makes me believe that it will qualify for power to weight rule but this can be verified with RSA

another thing is.....you cant carry passengers without full license....
    Thanks for that. I've called the motor tax office, the RSA, and finally the Dept. of the Environment and they still can't yet give me an answer on this for sure. I also can't find the damn weight of the Ural Dalesman (with and without the sidecar) on the web so I can't proceed any further with them until I do.

Probably not going to bother if I can't take passengers in the sidecar. Are you sure this rule doesn't just apply to pillion passengers? Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

it doesn't specify pillion/sidecar passenger but dont think there is much ground for argument when you get stopped.

Vehicles in categories A, A1 and M (motorcyles and mopeds) cannot carry a passenger and are required at all times to display ‘L’ plates front and rear on a yellow fluorescent ...........

you should apply for bike test anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Im guessing Gear Up is the same as Dalesman
    According to Bikez
    http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ural_gear-up_750_2007.php

Dry weight: 335.0 kg
    Power/weight ratio: 0.1161 HP/kg

By my calculations its 29.2 / 335 = 0.087 kW/kg
    So should be learner legal if you go by the <= 0.16 kW/kg rule.

No passengers though, might get away with a Dog!

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Im guessing Gear Up is the same as Dalesman
    According to Bikez
    http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ural_gear-up_750_2007.php

Dry weight: 335.0 kg
    Power/weight ratio: 0.1161 HP/kg

By my calculations its 29.2 / 335 = 0.087 kW/kg
    So should be learner legal if you go by the <= 0.16 kW/kg rule.

No passengers though, might get away with a Dog!
    Or a monkey! :p

Thanks for that. ****...was such a great deal too. 3,500 euro for a bike that cost over 9K GBP last year. Oh well.

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Or a monkey! :p

Thanks for that. ****...was such a great deal too. 3,500 euro for a bike that cost over 9K GBP last year. Oh well.

An 09 Ural for 3,500???

Buy it!

I've only been on an old Ural (refurbished 80s one) in Vietnam, and it is one of the most fun bikes I've ever been on. The ones post 2006 are miles ahead of the old ones on reliability too, and simple as hell to work on.

Seriously, buy it! Or tell me where to buy it!

MikeC101 wrote: »
    An 09 Ural for 3,500???

Buy it!

I've only been on an old Ural (refurbished 80s one) in Vietnam, and it is one of the most fun bikes I've ever been on. The ones post 2006 are miles ahead of the old ones on reliability too, and simple as hell to work on.

Seriously, buy it! Or tell me where to buy it!
    Nah, the one I'm looking at is '05. I should have said it was over 9K originally. But it was bought in F2Motorcycles last year in the UK.
    http://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/

To be honest, I am half tempted just to get it anyway. And you'd never know; the chance of a fine when pleading ignorance about the vagueness of Irish rules regarding sidecar passengers might be worth it.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Cool looking bike, go for it.

• Advertisement

If it makes any difference, F2 have a great reputation - they're recognised as one of the top Ural dealers in the UK - in the early years of selling they'd take the new bikes apart and replace problem parts before selling. So if it comes with a warranty from them, that's worth something.

You'll have to budget for extras though - the wax overcoat, the aviator goggles and leather helmet :D

As soon as I manage to scrape together the pennies, a Ural is going to be my next bike.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Cool looking bike, go for it.

+1
    Get it anyway.
    By the time you get your full licence you will be used to driving it and it will be easier to take a passenger (Less likely to scare the crap into the passenger!). :pac:

Might look into getting something like that in the future myself.

I'm going for it! :)

Heading down to Cork tomorrow.

Check it out:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1390963

Got my Ural delivered today. She's a beauty (sharing her with two mates) but, Jesus; they're so different to ride! Feels bizarre.

Can't wait to get more used to it over the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Best of luck with it, it looks great!!

When you said, "so different to ride!", is this because of the sidecar or the bike in general?

It'll be weird for a while, not being able to lean especially!

Congrats on purchase, hope it works out well.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Congrats, any chance of posting a pic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lovely bike, well wear

I've toyed with the idea of getting one myself several times.
    Pity, your man's RHD conversion doesn't allow for the sidecar drive
    53d3e4816ab532f697e447cf3be9c56c.jpg
    Because I'd say riding a LHD sidecar here would be more than a bit awkward

Advertisement