Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOD: Memory_Management

Options
  • 25-06-2010 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

Win 7 Pro 64-bit, I get this when restoring Mass Effect under STEAM, haven't tried much else on this new PC other than play TF2 which went perfectly. Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Ok, I got another BSOD, this time it didn't say anything about memory_management.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What do you mean by restoring? Did you alt+tab and then go back to it?

Is your computer overclocked?

You should make sure that the memory modules are in properly. I'd advise you to run memtest86 to see if your RAM is OK.
    http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

You need to burn it to a blank disc or flash drive. If you get errors, you might have a faulty module.

That reminds me... I still need to play mass effect after getting it 6 months ago!

Edit: OK, I saw your other thread. You might need to increase the voltage slightly, but it could also be a good idea first to see how one module at a time works with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

what ram is it venom have you got it in the right slots to run in dual mode

By restoring, I mean restoring a game backup, I ran Memtest last night, got to 60% with no errors and decided that was enough, I shall try with the RAM in different slots.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

And have you set all the timings manually, as it sounds like the mobo's choking on it and not setting everything by its JEDEC/XMP profiles? :o

60% isn't enough in Memtest86+ anyway, its that slow-running intensive test near the end that brings slightly unstable modules to their knees! Plus you might only see the problem with all modules inserted for several reasons!

• Advertisement

Alright, I'll run another memtest in a while :(

Tried putting the sticks of RAM in the other slots, it did nothing to help :(

Got an interruption_exception_not_handled or something along those lines while playing TF2 :(

Set everything manually, MemTest86+ those feckers then CHKDSK that HDD to see if its not a bad 'un! Also check your CPU speed/voltage and system temps!

Solitaire wrote: »
    Set everything manually, MemTest86+ those feckers then CHKDSK that HDD to see if its not a bad 'un! Also check your CPU speed/voltage and system temps!

Right, I'll do some memtest tonight then.

• Advertisement

Got SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION when installing Directx 9.0c (needed for Morrowind Graphics Extender)

That system is worthless until you diagnose the source of your problems :(

I re-installed and it went fine, probably offset by the fact I was running a couple of things in the background, anyway, I plan to do memtest tonight and chkdsk in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

You really should stop installing things now and try to get to the root of the problem as Sol said. But one thing to hold off on is flashing the bios (Unless you find some proof that there is some memory compatibility with your board and the ram)

Also, what are your ram timings/voltages set at now, and all the temps you can find?

You really should stop installing things now and try to get to the root of the problem as Sol said. But one thing to hold off on is flashing the bios (Unless you find some proof that there is some memory compatibility with your board and the ram)

Also, what are your ram timings/voltages set at now, and all the temps you can find?

Timings, I am unsure how to change them to the right ones, do you have a guide? this may be the root of the problem, the voltage is set at the rated 1.65V

Temps are all around the 30's Idle, I'll check load later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

This link is pretty much outdated at this point, but it does go through all the basics you will need to know. For a larger list of ram timings go to the manufacturers website for more info :)

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/26706-info-ram-timings-dummies.html

Thanks, after reading through that I know how to change my timings, thank you, i will try after I finish this download of a texture replacement for Morrowind (all games bar the Mass Effect install work, the BSOD's have stopped for everything but that).

Oh, BTW, I got the timings I need to change them to 8-8-8-24

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dunno if it's related, but I was getting those exact same errors. Turned out it was my GPUs V-ram, and there was a few issues with the latest drivers and certain GPUs. I rolled back and alls good now. It's an nvidia card btw, not sure what you have :o Glad you got it sorted tho

Dunno if it's related, but I was getting those exact same errors. Turned out it was my GPUs V-ram, and there was a few issues with the latest drivers and certain GPUs. I rolled back and alls good now. It's an nvidia card btw, not sure what you have :o Glad you got it sorted tho

I have an ATI 5830, maybe it is the latest driver that's doing it, 'twas only released a couple days back.

• Advertisement

Changing the timings to the correct timings did not help, still blue screen when restoring Mass Effect, maybe it's to do with Mass Effect and not my PC?

Ok, I set it for 1333 instead of the rated 1600, so far so good, the install has gotten the furthest so far.

can you tell me what ram it is that you bought or a link cherrs venom

and wat mobo did you end up buying

massy086 wrote: »
    and wat mobo did you end up buying

GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H REV2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Ok, I set it for 1333 instead of the rated 1600, so far so good, the install has gotten the furthest so far.

The timings for 1333 could very well be different to the 1600 timings. Google is your friend! Or use CPU-Z to find out what the timings should be.

C.D. wrote: »
    The timings for 1333 could very well be different to the 1600 timings. Google is your friend! Or use CPU-Z to find out what the timings should be.

Well, it works with the slightly altered timings at 1333 better than at 1600, so I shall leave it unless an error pops up.

Not 100% sure but I'd guess something like 7-8-7-24 @ 1.65v for 1333MHz for that kit.

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but I'd guess something like 7-8-7-24 @ 1.65v for 1333MHz for that kit.

I'll try that next time I restart my PC, which should be in a day or two (downloading The Witcher)

Advertisement