Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOD: Memory_Management

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I'll try that next time I restart my PC, which should be in a day or two (downloading The Witcher)

Just fire up CPU-Z and go to the SPD tab- this should list the timings that your RAM should use and 1333. You're wasting your time really playing with other timings, it will be hit and miss with mostly miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Yup, SPD says timings are spot on, although tRC should go from 40 to 36.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

If your still having the issue try 10-10-10-25. If you find that its stable at that then you can start bringing them down. You could also try pumping 0.05v more through them too.

If your still having the issue try 10-10-10-25. If you find that its stable at that then you can start bringing them down. You could also try pumping 0.05v more through them too.

Nah, it's ok, I find it to be stable at the current timings, voltages and multiplier. Only problem left to fix is the Graphics Driver crashing but I believe I fixed that with rolling back a driver, as others have had problems with 10.6 as well. The reason I believe I fixed it is because I have not tested it for long enough yet.

Damn, Graphics driver problem still not fixed, 10.5 crashes (and recovers) the same.

It only happens in certain games, such as SPORE and Mass Effect, rarely happens in Morrowind, Team Fortress 2 or The Witcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Damn, Graphics driver problem still not fixed, 10.5 crashes (and recovers) the same.

It only happens in certain games, such as SPORE and Mass Effect, rarely happens in Morrowind, Team Fortress 2 or The Witcher.

If you installed windows and your games with a faulting system then odds are you are always going to have problems.

I fixed every fault I could, the only fault now is a problem with the drivers.

I fixed every fault I could, the only fault now is a problem with the drivers.

You fixed every fault you were made aware of.

If the system is still blue screening you can attach the minidumps here(c:\windows\minidump) and I can take a look at it. Otherwise you can have a look at the event log(start, run, EVENTVWR.MSC) to see if the graphics drivers are referencing any particular file as faulting.

You fixed every fault you were made aware of.

If the system is still blue screening you can attach the minidumps here(c:\windows\minidump) and I can take a look at it. Otherwise you can have a look at the event log(start, run, EVENTVWR.MSC) to see if the graphics drivers are referencing any particular file as faulting.

No, I'm not BSOD'ing at all any more (thanks to the help of you guys here :) ), but I'll take a look at the Event Viewer after my next Graphics Driver crash, I just re-installed 10.6 so let's hope I don't run into any.

Found this under Event Manager (all it said was it stopped responding and then recovered)

Friendly view:
    - System

- Provider

[ Name] Display

- EventID 4101

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 3

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-06-28T16:21:48.000000000Z

EventRecordID 5774

Channel System

Computer SeanDunbar-PC

Security

- EventData

amdkmdap

XML View:
    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Display" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">4101</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-06-28T16:21:48.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>5774</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>SeanDunbar-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>amdkmdap</Data>
    <Data />
    </EventData>
    </Event>

• Advertisement

Ok, some people have recommended uninstallnig, running driver sweeper, and then installing only the Display Adapter and using ATI tray tools instead of Catalyst Control Center, I'm going to give it a shot.

Ok, I fixed all crashes ( so far it seems ) by slightly underclocking the card. So happy that everything is running fine now :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If a card can't even manage stock clocks it needs to be RMA'd :(

I'd really rather not have to wait months without being able to game, and it can handle stock clocks, just not in everything (youtube crashes it on stock for some reason).

EDIT: I'll raise the voltage by .001 and see how it handles at stock.

EDIT2: I'll try when I get AMD Overdrive, or whatever it's called that allows me to change the voltage, as ATI Tray Tools keeps resetting to 0.950 (although for some reason this works)

OK, ATI Tray Tools is S$&t, it won't keep the manual fan setting and keeps reverting to auto, I may just go back to catalyst, as it won't let me modify voltage slightly either.

EDIT: Ok, even after enabling it in the settings, Afterburner will not allow me to change voltages, any suggestions?

EDIT2: Running a Stability test on the card at stock everything but fan set to 55, so far so good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Why are you using ATT?! That program is obsolete and isn't stable with newer GPUs :eek: Try MSI Afterburner ;)

Solitaire wrote: »
    Why are you using ATT?! That program is obsolete and isn't stable with newer GPUs :eek: Try MSI Afterburner ;)

Yeah, I tried AfterBurner, it works for changing the voltages and fan speed, but not for voltaes, I am gonna uninstall tray tools today.

Kombustor is good. Under the test my GPU never went above 54 on 55% fan speed.

Ok, I changed the CFG to allow voltage control and monitoring, should work now.

Nope, still won't work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

id go with the fresh instal of win 7 tbh it can cause havoc if its in any way corrupt just back up what you have already saved on the os like game,s and do a fresh install

If I get a crash again with the slight UC applied, I'll give it a re-install after I back-up my games.

• Advertisement

massy086 wrote: »
    id go with the fresh instal of win 7 tbh it can cause havoc if its in any way corrupt just back up what you have already saved on the os like game,s and do a fresh install

Even if it's only the Graphics Driver that crashes? The computer stays on and it recovers in about 20 seconds.

Underclocking Core by 20mHz (a very measly underclock) seems to have fixed it with no noticable performance hit :)

Underclocking Core by 20mHz (a very measly underclock) seems to have fixed it with no noticable performance hit :)

For now. Your only delaying the inevitable and making it worse. Find out why the OS install screwed up and reinstall. New games come out, updates to gfx drivers, direct x, windows updates, antivirus, firewalls etc all have a good chance of tanking because the underlying files or structure are corrupted.

Umm, who said the OS install screwed up? After the initial problems, I set it to the right timings and voltages with a more stable multiplier, then did a clean install. Nothing went wrong.

Umm, who said the OS install screwed up? After the initial problems, I set it to the right timings and voltages with a more stable multiplier, then did a clean install. Nothing went wrong.

Sorry but I can't see anywhere in the thread after your sorted the memory that you reinstalled the OS. Or if you were even sure that the memory was the problem.

Sorry but I can't see anywhere in the thread after your sorted the memory that you reinstalled the OS. Or if you were even sure that the memory was the problem.

I re-installed the Os in another thread, where memory was the problem.

In this thread, memory was also the problem, it had been fixed.

in this thread also, the graphics driver crashing was the problem, a slight underclock has fixed this.

I re-installed the Os in another thread, where memory was the problem.

In this thread, memory was also the problem, it had been fixed.

in this thread also, the graphics driver crashing was the problem, a slight underclock has fixed this.

So the memory was still faulty during the second install?

So the memory was still faulty during the second install?
    No, the memory was stable during the tests and install, yet unstable when installing a game, this problem was rectified by lowering the multiplier so speed was lower than rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

just a little reminder here speaking from my experience :3 if you are using the dual channel ddr3 i think on some mobo you need to put them on the 2nd and 4th slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Just want to see if I got this right, you have to underclock the graphics card and ram just to get the computer stable? Have you checked are all parts okay, ie switching them with spares one at a time? What is the cooling like in your pc, is there enough ventilation in your computer to keep your card cool and do you have your cpu fan blowing the wrong way towards either then ram or graphics card? I've noticed your not running fan on full speed or auto, should do until problem is truely fixed. You should monitor the temps of your parts next time it crashes, it may not be a driver issue and with the reinstal not fixing it, seems more likely a heat issue or faulty part.
    Have you checked all your parts are compatible with win 7? I have a linksys wireless n card that if you use linksys's drivers or the windows update ones it constantly crashes the pc, bluescreen and driver crashes but if I use atheros ones works fine, could be an issue like that, I've got two other parts that cause probs with win 7.

Advertisement