Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funky painted barrels along the Prom!

Options
  • 25-06-2010 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

I went for a walk this morning on the Prom and all along the side of the main path there's metal barrels painted with funky coloured faces and plants (sea grass of some sort) in the top of them kind of acting like hair (or will do once they grow a bit). Anyone know why they're there or how long they're going to keep them there? They're pretty cool and really well done, a bit graffiti-esque! Brightens up the prom a bit I think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

yes they have been there all week - they look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

yes they look great - been there all week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Yea been there all week - they look great

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

yes they have been there all week - they look great.
    yes they look great - been there all week
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Yea been there all week - they look great

Been there all week have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

All week?? Really? I've been walking the prom every morning this week and only noticed them this morning! :confused::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Aye they look fantastic, gives a bit of art to the prom. From what I know they are commisoned by the Galway Arts Commision and some Galway arts officers helped in the painting of them, they also hired out graffti artists to do them(same artists that did old una taffes on shop street which is borded up) I think they will be out for most of the summer. They were spose to go during the Power Boat festival, but ther was a delay with the barrels and other conflicts. Atleast they are out now and look great.

The interaction I think is great as well, with funky faces drawn on them and the grass acting like hair(what OP posted) and then you get the other drawings that look more like portraits. Overall fantastic job from galway, and really heading into modern art days and street art.

They been there all week so you must of missed them your other various walking day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Yea, there all week. They look great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

I think they look a bit gammy ,they bring down the natural style of the prom, just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

3fullback wrote: »
    I think they look a bit gammy ,they bring down the natural style of the prom, just my opinion.

'natural style of the prom'? The prom is a great amenity with amazing views out over the bay but look the other way and you just have concrete and tarmac with a busy main road with hideous architecture pretty much along its entire length so dont really see it as being either natural or stylish or any combination of.
    Anything to brighten it up is a great idea and good on Galway to try something different

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

3fullback wrote: »
    The prom being of course constructed from naturally occurring, free-range concrete?

I think they look great and are a great temporary addition to the place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't like them personally. I think they'd look better somewhere like Lahinch or Spanish point. I do like the idea of having commissioned art on the prom though, I just don't like these barrels. Saw a few people trying to throw rubbish in them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pics or they didn't happen (all week)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I don't like them at all... And I do think they don't 'suit' the prom area.. IMO they would look a lot better in/around a skate park or such like..
    I'm not against art being displayed on the prom, just this particular 'piece'...

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I don't like them personally. I think they'd look better somewhere like Lahinch or Spanish point. I do like the idea of having commissioned art on the prom though, I just don't like these barrels. Saw a few people trying to throw rubbish in them today.

And at night drunks will throw the barrels into the water at spanish arch?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Columc wrote: »
    And at night drunks will throw the barrels into the water at spanish arch?

Spanish Point in Co. Clare... a surfer beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

saw them today - not a huge fan myself. still, they don't make the place look worse, so it's a start I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I think they're pretty cool, they brighten the place up a little. They are being used as bins though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I saw one. Do they all have the stupid plant sticking out to make it look like Sideshow Bob?

moonflower wrote: »
    I think they're pretty cool, they brighten the place up a little. They are being used as bins though

in fact they'd be more useful as bins tbh. not enough of them on the prom & they're always overflowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

id say before they leave the prom they will have served as bins.

im sure theres supposed to be a theme with them, can anyone enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I saw them today for the first time. I like them, they're kinda nice. I think the only theme is Giant Heads, I may be wrong but I thought I could see a couple of different styles, suggesting that a few people were making them. There were a number of Aztec-style squared heads, psychadelic heads with cross motifs, realistic portraits that didn't make use of the plants at all, and some other distinct styles that I don't have the terminology to describe.

I took some photos that I'll upload later, for anyone who can't make it Promways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

How long have they been there?

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    How long have they been there?

Dunno mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Montage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Montage.jpg

Thanks for putting up the lovely photos.

They looks sh!te though.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GearMaven

While they're colorful and bright, I assumed they were a class project by some school group. Oops!

And wonder by what amount (Euros) that set back the City Council?

I also wish they had instead put out as many colorful, well labeled trash and recycle bins! The giant wood monstrosities now functioning as litter bins in no way resemble garbage cans but look like huge storage containers and have few signs identifying their purpose. The poor recycling bins mid-prom (is it 2 or 3?) are always full or overfilled with litter as well as recycling.

GearMaven wrote: »
    While they're colorful and bright, I assumed they were a class project by some school group. Oops!

And wonder by what amount (Euros) that set back the City Council?

I also wish they had instead put out as many colorful, well labeled trash and recycle bins! The giant wood monstrosities now functioning as litter bins in no way resemble garbage cans but look like huge storage containers and have few signs identifying their purpose. The poor recycling bins mid-prom (is it 2 or 3?) are always full or overfilled with litter as well as recycling.

So the thing galway is known best for its culture and its arts. You are complaining that the City Council is trying to promote this. Im sorry that you cant open you mind to other style of art. Street art is sweeping the world with millions of people doing it and liking it. But hey lets go back and start getting people to write ****ty little tags on the way. that better for you then giving them something else to do?

Yes everyone knows that there is a major problem with trash around the city. While putting bins would be helpful, this is not the only cost, you also need to think about the overheads of the bags, trucks cleaning, patrols in cleaning the bins ect ect.

Those barrels were donated to the galway city council for this purpose. The only thing that they city council paid for was the paint, as far as I know. So it wouldn't of set that much amount of euros back from the city council. not as much as a night out on the town at least.

Thanks should be giving to the Arts council of galway tho, for trying to get these projects for street artist, and also trying to designate certain places were they can paint. Instead of horrible ****ty things on walls all over the place. At least this way most of the stuff can be regulated by someone to see if the stuff that is painted is good ect.

I don't think giving "street artists"* a legitimate forum for their stuff is going to stop little skangers going around tagging things to be cool...

*I have a general mistrust of anyone who self proclaims themselves to be "street". Like, yo yo yo, homies. I grew up in the hood of Salthill... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    I don't think giving "street artists"* a legitimate forum for their stuff is going to stop little skangers going around tagging things to be cool...

*I have a general mistrust of anyone who self proclaims themselves to be "street". Like, yo yo yo, homies. I grew up in the hood of Salthill... :rolleyes:

If I ever heard someone from galway declaring that they were "street" I think I would have a pretty hard time restraining myself from slapping the yellow out of their teeth.

Advertisement