Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funky painted barrels along the Prom!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

maybe you have a misunderstanding of street art. Yes of course you get the little ****s who are 12-16 going around doing little ****y marks around the city, But what about the artists who have done proper degrees is graphcis desgin/art/scuplture that likes painting street art styles, such as lettering and charectors(which are what are currently on the barrels)

Proper street art would be the stuff behind rosion dubh(pump lane) work done down near the docks(for galway ocean race and for the power boating race). This is what the Galway art Council is trying to promote. Proper artistic design on items that people actualy have a intrest in doing. And I think they are atleast going in the right direction, helping kids actualy develop this style instead of the ****ty little lines. Such as when they do the Westside cummonity street art were they get kids to help do lettering on next to the westside libery on the cumonnity scenter, and also for the kids in the knockncara cummonity house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

This is the type of crap that wasters doing nothing with their lives produce. Painting a 'funky' design on a barrell is not art. That **** behind the roisin is not art. It is borderline vandalism.

Shave and get a job. Put your degree in 'funky' design to use by getting a job for a newspaper or advertising agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

anyone for a nice cold saucer of milk.......MIAOWWWW
    :D

This is the type of crap that wasters doing nothing with their lives produce. Painting a 'funky' design on a barrell is not art. That **** behind the roisin is not art. It is borderline vandalism.

Shave and get a job. Put your degree in 'funky' design to use by getting a job for a newspaper or advertising agency.

Diffrence of opionin there, but sure go ahead and listen to you mainstream music, and the stuff people force down your mouth as acceptabe art. I myself think its art, other people accept it as art, and if people accept it as art, then guess what its art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

Columc wrote: »
    Diffrence of opionin there, but sure go ahead and listen to you mainstream music, and the stuff people force down your mouth as acceptabe art. I myself think its art, other people accept it as art, and if people accept it as art, then guess what its art.

By your logic if my dog ****s on the prom and I declare it to be art, then it is art.

You are so alternative and edgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

By your logic if my dog ****s on the prom and I declare it to be art, then it is art.

There sure is plenty of "art" on the prom these days

art

–noun 1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

I find the barrels on the prom to be a of a quality nature which was part of a production and is an experssion of beauty.

I find your dog **** disgusting and would ask you to clean it up after it ****s!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I find your dog **** disgusting and would ask you to clean it up after it ****s!

It's all relative. Some people may find your 'art' disgusting and would ask you clean it up after you're finished - what's your point?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It's all relative. Some people may find your 'art' disgusting and would ask you clean it up after you're finished - what's your point?

If you have a problem with it then go and complain to the Galway Arts Council. The 'art' was commisioned by them. And just to clear it up I had no part in it, I just think tis good.

Sure art is relative to diffrent peoples oppions, Im not doubting that. I wouldnt consider dog poop to be art, but other people might.

But what I was arguing with is that the work is commisioned, people asked them to do it which is allowed and legal. I dont in anyway support vandilsm, dumping or any illegal activity. I do however enjoy the proper production of certain peices to a high level of design. Of course other peoples have diffrent views to myself. And if people are really disgusted with these peices of art, go complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

GC forum is not the place to answer the time old question of 'what is art?'. Feel free to discuss the merits or demerits of the project itself, but let's not stray into a discussion on whether or not the barrels constitute art, and assume, for the sake of discussion, that they do.

/moderation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

If I were a child I'd never walk the prom again after seeing some of those yokes, I mean look at the second from the right on the bottom row. Maybe if there were some nice stones engraved with knotwork, or with some unusual patterns or something, I could go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

I heard today that the barrels are commissioned by galway city council to protest againist the high price of oil , so all the yanks walking the prom will see . :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

teepee wrote: »
    I heard today that the barrels are commissioned by galway city council to protest againist the high price of oil , so all the yanks walking the prom will see . :confused:

Yeah, I can just picture it now...
    "Awww gee honey, look at those colourful oil barrels, they must be protesting againist the high price of oil"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Sounds like someone's just yanking your chain. I'd probably just to brighten the prom up a bit (now that the bright gold layering has faded). We are heading into arts season after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GearMaven

Whoa! [I've got bite marks!] Talk about reading more into my words than I said! What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about hating this "art," but merely assumed it was probably done by youngsters. Didn't say if they were doing a good or bad job!

Also, in these tough economic times, I suggest being selective in choosing art projects to fund...especially when "someone" is paying for it. Therefore, since I have a healthy...and not unfounded...distrust of govt entities, I simply worried how much they had cost with the large number done. A simple response to educate us by telling us they were donated would have been more mature than a tirade!

My thoughts were also . . . couldn't they have killed two birds with one stone and had artists paint beautiful trash and recycle bins adding beauty and usefullness to the area?

Also, couldn't street artists simply ask building, residence, or business owners if they'd like an ugly wall of their property enhanced and, after getting permission and discussing content, paint to their heart's content, as other artists often do on commission? The beautiful wall murals in certain San Francisco neighborhoods being one example?

Whew! Nuff said.
    So the thing galway is known best for its culture and its arts. You are complaining that the City Council is trying to promote this. Im sorry that you cant open you mind to other style of art. Street art is sweeping the world with millions of people doing it and liking it. But hey lets go back and start getting people to write ****ty little tags on the way. that better for you then giving them something else to do?

Yes everyone knows that there is a major problem with trash around the city. While putting bins would be helpful, this is not the only cost, you also need to think about the overheads of the bags, trucks cleaning, patrols in cleaning the bins ect ect.

Those barrels were donated to the galway city council for this purpose. The only thing that they city council paid for was the paint, as far as I know. So it wouldn't of set that much amount of euros back from the city council. not as much as a night out on the town at least.

Thanks should be giving to the Arts council of galway tho, for trying to get these projects for street artist, and also trying to designate certain places were they can paint. Instead of horrible ****ty things on walls all over the place. At least this way most of the stuff can be regulated by someone to see if the stuff that is painted is good ect.

Advertisement