Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay as you go Broadband?

• 25-06-2010 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Is there such a thing as pay as you go broadband?

I'm living in an apartment in Chapelizoid for the next 4 weeks and there's no internet or tv in the flat :eek:

There looks to be a live Eircom line, on which I dont fancy paying line rental, my aunt is paying that at the min but they might disconnect it cause I'm not using it.

There's also a NTL point in the room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

jozi wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as pay as you go broadband?

I'm living in an apartment in Chapelizoid for the next 4 weeks and there's no internet or tv in the flat :eek:

There looks to be a live Eircom line, on which I dont fancy paying line rental, my aunt is paying that at the min but they might disconnect it cause I'm not using it.

There's also a NTL point in the room.
    Three provide a prepay service

http://www.three.ie/products_services/broadband/prepay.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's not broadband. There are no pay as you go broadband services. If UPC is available, that's your best bet for avoiding line rental, but there will be a 12 month contract with it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nobody does pay as you go Broadband, Perlico used to though...not any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Is it called narrow band then?

I might consider that 3pay thing. I've never used them usb dongles cause I always imagine them to be crap. If it means internet for a few weeks I'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mmille24

I've been using a meteor one for the past month. It's actually pretty good just for surfing the web and getting info. Just pretty much forget about watching video and downloading anything large (I get a DL rate of about 25kb a second.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lost in my own head

Mobile broadband from three, you can get a broadband add-on. Its 10e for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Three has the worst track record when it comes to mobile Internet. Try anything else first. Meteor are probably the best speed right now, due to lower customer numbers, but this will change. Meteor also have the poorest coverage, which may be a problem. Vodafone would be next best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If you only going to be there for 4 weeks then get a wireless dongle from one of the providers then return it within their trial period and move on to the next provider and so on, you'll be pulling your hair out mind as its not real broadband

I got the 3 pay as you go one yesterday. I have to say it's not THAT bad, it works!

863432215.png

It's not cheap and I won't be downloading to much but at least I can check my mails and the forums I visit I might even be able to download the odd files here and there so long I keep an eye on the data transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That is terrible.

The Latency over x3 decent Broadband and speed is barely entry level.

This is good Wireless Broadband
    863456653.png

Your modem also will occasionally not connect or slow to 0.15Mbps speed and also drop connections.

See http://www.netindex.com/
    We are 48th :(

• Advertisement

I agree it's not good broadband but it's not dial-up either. It's going to be enough for me to browse the net for a month.

I wouldn't expect anything like it speed wise if I went for the likes of NTL or who ever offers it these days for reasonable money.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jozi wrote: »
    Is it called narrow band then?

Narrowband means dialup, you likely mean Midband which is commonly known as "Mobile Broadband"

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I got 3pay a while back, and it was great to begin with. A few weeks ago, the quality started getting worse and now it's very unreliable. If your very near a mast it's great though.

Advertisement