Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC Bank Mortgage Query

Options
  • 25-06-2010 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    recently received a letter from my bank re our mortgage that the 2 year fixed we had has elapsed and they were placing our mortgage on a tracker mortgage,

so basically our fixed rate was 4.65% or thereabouts
    and new tracker rate is 1.95%
    so we're saving a substantial amount, to me this seems to good to be true as i thought tracker mortgages were no longer being offered by banks.

any experts out there know if this is correct cause usually if i think its too good to be true it generally is...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Are you sure you were moved to a Tracker and not variable?

Thats a great deal, currently on a 1.9% tracker (ie ECB +.9%), but i got that 5 years ago from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Maybe the terms of your mortgage stated that when the fixed term expired that you would be automatically put on a tracker. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, especially when you have it in writing from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

i've been on a three year fixed term and 5.45% from the same bank. i contacted them recently to ask what rate i'd be going onto when the term was over and they said it would be a tracker at 1.5% over ecb. like yourself i found it hard to believe but will be grabbing it with both hands. the savings here could be 300-400 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

thats great if linked to ecb like that. good news for once

i've been on a three year fixed term and 5.45% from the same bank. i contacted them recently to ask what rate i'd be going onto when the term was over and they said it would be a tracker at 1.5% over ecb. like yourself i found it hard to believe but will be grabbing it with both hands. the savings here could be 300-400 per month
    sorry, make that 1.25%. I called during the week and asked for it in writing, was told it will be sent out to me on paper after my final current payment is made.

happy days, just now it's a monthly saving of €350

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

sorry, make that 1.25%. I called during the week and asked for it in writing, was told it will be sent out to me on paper after my final current payment is made.

That's a nice result.

In your original mortgage agreement did it say it would go back to a tracker. I'm asking because I'm with KBC. Another year to go on fixed but there's no mention of it going back to tracker. Probably doesn't matter anyway. With my luck interest rates will have gone up close to my fixed rate anyway by the time I'm due to come off fixed.:D

That's a nice result.

In your original mortgage agreement did it say it would go back to a tracker. I'm asking because I'm with KBC. Another year to go on fixed but there's no mention of it going back to tracker. Probably doesn't matter anyway. With my luck interest rates will have gone up close to my fixed rate anyway by the time I'm due to come off fixed.:D
    To be honest Mick I don't know. I genuinely can't remember what was agreed to when I signed up for the 3 year fixed term, it was only when I rang and queried what would happen in October when the term was up was I told I'd be going onto the tracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mcgoo2007

Hi,

I am also with KBC and got a letter on Oct 2009 saying that our 2 year fixed term was up (5.26%) and we were now on 2.25%.

This letter makes no reference to whether this is a variable or tracker rate but our original offer letter stated we would move to a variable rate once the fixed rate term was up.

But their current variable rate is 3.6%, and from what previous posts were saying my 2.25% would equal the tracker rate of 1.25% on top of the ECB rate of 1%.

Could they have moved us to a tracker without telling us? If it’s a mistake could they look for back payments? I haven’t contacted the bank in case it’s a mistake on their part (I should be so lucky…)

Thanks

Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dead Kennedys

hi Lubo,

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, I was on a 3 year fixed with KBC and came off that in Sep. Im now on the tracker rate, which is great. I called them to ask for this change in writing and like you I was told I would receive written notification after my last fixed payment. I never got this letter, just woundering if you got yours?

Cheers.

Advertisement