Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a longboard.

Options
  • 25-06-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I've decided to make a longboard since purchasing one seems prohibitively expensive [student, unemployed]. I've got trucks etc lying around, so all I really need is a set of wheels and some new bearings.

Any tips? What kind of wood should I use for the deck? Is wood okay for angled risers? Are street trucks a bad idea for a longboard in terms of stability?

I'd like to use it for carving and maybe a little downhill sliding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I've decided to make a longboard since purchasing one seems prohibitively expensive [student, unemployed]. I've got trucks etc lying around, so all I really need is a set of wheels and some new bearings.

Any tips? What kind of wood should I use for the deck? Is wood okay for angled risers? Are street trucks a bad idea for a longboard in terms of stability?

I'd like to use it for carving and maybe a little downhill sliding.
    ehhhhhhhhhh
    Get a large plank. Won't be stable or strong, but it'll be fun! and old-school as ****! If you were to do it proper though, it's probably cost you the same (maybe more) than just buying a board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Buying a complete board is WAY cheaper than building one.

Boards are mainly made of Bamboo or Maple, if you just get a plank, it will snap/crack and wont handle anything like it should. A lot of effort is put into the design of the board with rebound/flex etc.

The trucks need to be at least 165mm (180 is better) and the wheels between 65mm & 85mm.

Look for a second hand one, you wont regret it!

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

found this on adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/205261/skateboard-and-rollerblading/longboard/
    bout the best bet i have seen. but make a deck for the laugh anyway.

Advertisement