Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIT Bachelor of Science in Music Technology & Production (Level 7)

Options
  • 25-06-2010 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi ALL,

I am new user here, just like to get feedback from all the people here.
    I am going to be doing Bachelor of Science in Music Technology & Production (Level 7) in sept .

Just finish Music production and media technology level 5 and I think I did ok.. Waiting on the result. Cannot find to do the level 6 in Music production and media technology close to home unless drive for 2 hours.

Can someone who already has done Bachelor of Science in Music Technology & Production (Level 7) able to give some idea. That should be ok to do Bachelor of Science in Music Technology & Production (Level 7) or I should be doing level 6 first..
    Just to add English is my second language..
    Thanks for feedback

Shah

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dj shah

Please .....Any feedback guys

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Are you hoping to be a bit of an all rounder or have you ideas of focusing on something particular?

There was guys in the course when I was in first year and they had the idea that they'd be making music on Ableton and the likes. That's not the case. You do a lot of electronics in first year, you don't go near the studios until second year. You study music theory and the history of music which is quite demanding...

Thanks for coming back Mars,

Have done alot media technology like copyright, IMRO etc on project and also done good bit about sound and electronic ,sound eng like speakers, mic type and live recording... also work with cubase 5..
    So really i like to know should i be doing level 6 somewhere or should go to LIT for Level 7.
    How much should i need to know about electronic and math etc.
    You know any student that i can talk about the course that would be great help.

Thanks for your help...

dj shah wrote: »
    Thanks for coming back Mars,

Have done alot media technology like copyright, IMRO etc on project and also done good bit about sound and electronic ,sound eng like speakers, mic type and live recording... also work with cubase 5..
    So really i like to know should i be doing level 6 somewhere or should go to LIT for Level 7.
    How much should i need to know about electronic and math etc.
    You know any student that i can talk about the course that would be great help.

Thanks for your help...

Well I am in the course, I'll be going into 3rd year in September! :D

Copyright and the basic laws around it is an option in 3rd year.

They are kind of updating the course now so no matter who you talk to, the course is going to be slightly different for you when/if you decide to go there.

The core subjects are:

Music Technology
    1st year: mics, micing technique, recording to a tascam and working with Pro - Tools. (You don't learn to use Cubase, Ableton, Logic in this course but the lecturers are quite happy to let you use them if that's what you have at home.)

2nd year: Working with the desks, learning to record drums in the studio and various other instruments, you record a song for a project and mix somebody elses for another project. You'll do a bit of reading on studio layout and perception of sound. For one project, you have to build an instrument and it's great fun! It's tough, but it's fun. You have to record it and present it to the class. You'll also learn about mixing...

Music Styles and Structures
    1st year: IIRC, Introduction to music theory and it's basics such as scales. You'll study the history of Baroque, Romantic, Renaissance and Classical music and you'll study set pieces and their composers.

2nd year: You'll build on your music theory by learning how to build chords, cadences and all of that malarky. You'll study the musical eras already mentioned, in more detail. You'll do a radio jingle and a music score for a piece of a film or a trailer.

Digital Workstation
    1st year Learning how to use Microsoft Office so you'll have acceptable reports for projects. You'll learn the basic layout of a motherboard on a computer. You'll learn how to use Pro - Tools interface.

2nd year You'll focus more on the interface of a computer, the make up of MPEG and the various file formats and you'll get a bit of a biology lesson on how the human ear works and how we interpret sound! (you'll see quite a bit of overlapping in Digi Workstation and Music Tech. You'll do a project on foley effects and you'll look at mixing.

Other first year subjects:
    Sounds and Light: Beware that this is NOT what it says on the tin. It's not live sound and it's not stage lighting! It's basic physics and maths. How sound waves travel, standing waves and all of that stuff. If you're worried about maths, don't be! It's very, very basic maths and this is the easiest subject of them all!

Audio Electronics: *This is also in 2nd year but not in 3rd year.* This is the subject I found hard in first year. You learn about signals and do a bit about circuits. You learn a bit about cables and you make the various cables in the lab.
    In 2nd year you learn about logic gates, karnaugh maps and circuits. You also learn about the various classes of amps.

Electrical Technology: If I'm correct, they are scrapping this subject next year, but I'm open to correction. Quite frankly, it's physics. You do the basics on an atom, they way electrons travel in AC and DC. You learn how electricity works. You basically learn how not to kill yourself in the studio.

2nd Year:
    Data Comms: I want you to acknowledge that subject existed and I want you to seriously appreciate the fact that you won't be doing it. It is possibly the most painfully boring, utterly pointless piece of poop we did this year. It would drive your patience beyond extremes known to yourself! :p I don't know what they are replacing it with.

Audio Electronics: Refer to Audio Electronics, 1st year!

Internet Media: This had the potential to be interesting but for us, however, it fell flat on its face and smashed itself into a million pieces! You learn HTML and you build websites. We did some photography and watched a video on the font, Helvetica. :rolleyes: You use dreamweaver and photoshop. The good thing about it is there is little learning in terms of books. You learn from doing the projects you are handed out.

3rd year remains to be seen for me but all I can do is hope that the elective subjects are good and that they have a bit more focus. I feel I'm going to finish as "a jack of all trades and a master of none." Subjects are to include Music Business (or something of that sort), Live Sound, Studio Design and 2 or 3 more I think...at least I hope anyway.

Be prepared to put time into staying back late in the evenings when you've got projects coz they all tend to come at the same time, particularly for 2nd year. Projects are VERY important, as is attendance at the labs. You can get easy marks for just being at lectures and labs.

I hope this helps you and I hope this post is damn good enough to be stickied for future reference over the summer!
    mars bar wrote: »
    Big long post full of info.

=========MERGER!!=========

I should probably finish this off before graduation in a couple of weeks! :D

The year was a bit of a blur but I'll do my best to outline 3rd year as I experienced it.

3rd year:

Modern Music: This is a continuation of Music Styles and Structures. It focuses more on the music of the 18th century and being honesty, is far more interesting than the previous two years! Prepare to study Elvis, Muddy Waters, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and more.
    There is a lot more set piece work if I remember correctly.
    You will have a fairly sizeable project after Christmas either composing, analyzing or doing both.

Music Technology 3: Mainly live sound work. You'll see a lot more of the desk, finding the sweet spot and analyzing where different frequencies boost and attenuate in the Theatre.
    You'll use a lot of the material in this module for the IT Factor.

Studio Design/Event Staging & Management: These are electives.
    You choose one of the two. I chose Event Management. It's quite an intense module with a lot of projects and material but it is quite interesting and is worth it just for learning the lighting.
    It's a shame the lighting is just "squished" into the labs and the lectures are business and event management but as far as I'm aware, they are working on rectifying it.

IMO, it should be introduced in second year instead of Data Comms as it's far more beneficial and as I said, interesting.

And the lecturer is a bit of a legend too.

Digital Workstations 3:
    BadNews-BangHead.gif Kind of sums up how I felt about it!

It's so far removed from the DW 1 and 2 that it should just be named the CSound module. If you are into programming sounds that can be used for MIDI and stuff then you'll like this. It really is a marmite module. You either love it or you hate it.

I can't really begin to explain but it's to do with modulation and stuff...

All of the modules above are worth a full 10 credits. The module below is worth 5 credits.

Music Business Organisation and Project: I really liked this module and would have liked if it was more structured but it has serious potential. I liked researching about copyright laws and how Record companies and publishers exploit this copyright. You also learn how various organizations such as IMRO and RAAP work.

Then you have the big one worth 15 credits.

Final Year Project
    You can do your project on almost anything. I'd advise thinking about it and having your idea thought out before going into 3rd year. You'll only be in college a few weeks when you have to submit your feasibility report and then you have to start researching. You'll have a progress report in December and in March, you'll present it. It doesn't have to be finished by then so don't worry. You'll have a report to do that you'll need 3 copies of and put some pennies aside, they are not cheap to print and bind!

What are the most common projects?
    4 track EP's and Hardware projects like pedals and amps

One person did a single with cover art and promoted it.

I did a Foley project. I picked a short clip from Despicable Me, stripped the audio and made my own sound effects. Very enjoyable and different but it's a challenge to work without big screens in the studios. The studios aren't Audio-Visual yet but I was told they plan to fix that.
    Don't leave it to the last minute either as they studios get booked out very quickly.

I'd advise you to go to the library and read some of the reports in there too, that really helps.

So that's it really.
    I'm not doing 4th year so there won't be a review of it I'm afraid!

Wow Mars,

This this great info for me and anyone who like to do this course in the future...
    There is alot of info here and in very much in detail..

Thanks so much for puting all the information together. you expl so well and all so divided by yr by yr.

Thankyou very much for doing all this work for me and everyone here.

Thanks again

Shah

• Advertisement

Admin,

Please make this Thread Sticky to help all the people doing Bachelor of Science in Music Technology & Production (Level 7).

dj shah wrote: »
    Wow Mars,

This this great info for me and anyone who like to do this course in the future...
    There is alot of info here and in very much in detail..

Thanks so much for puting all the information together. you expl so well and all so divided by yr by yr.

Thankyou very much for doing all this work for me and everyone here.

Thanks again

Shah

No problem! :D

I'm glad it has helped you!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

hey guys, im also hopeing to do this in sept. and i just want to say mars that all the info that you posted was really helpful :D! on a side note, whats the night life like??:p

clarke1991 wrote: »
    hey guys, im also hopeing to do this in sept. and i just want to say mars that all the info that you posted was really helpful :D! on a side note, whats the night life like??:p

Ah, you'll have to acquire that info some place else coz I don't go out when I'm in Limerick. I'm a lazy sod! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mikesmt

got offered this today! pretty happy. i've done a few similar courses before, which were rubbish. anyone in this year?

• Advertisement

mikesmt wrote: »
    got offered this today! pretty happy. i've done a few similar courses before, which were rubbish. anyone in this year?

Well done!

Just wondering if any 1st years need the Music Appreciation book by Kaimen? I have one and probably won't need it for 3rd year. It was €54 new so I'm willing to go half price with it.

you still got that book marsbar?

you still got that book marsbar?

I do, it's right here beside me.

might take that off your hands before xmas if you still have it!

might take that off your hands before xmas if you still have it!

Sure, just send me a PM if you decide to take it and we'll arrange something. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Hey did anyone get offered a place for this yet for coming september?

twistyj wrote: »
    Hey did anyone get offered a place for this yet for coming september?

Well if you're just after completing the leaving you won't know until late August.

I presume you're a mature student. Then I don't have a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Got accepted for this course , need to find a place to live now.

Either of the student villages, Cratloe or Thomond.

I live here last year. 5 minute walk from the college, decent house, landlord is sound enough.

Dooneen Rd, Kilbranish Rd, Caherdavin Gardens, Cooleraine Heights are all around there. You could move closer into the city and move to Rice's Corner.

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »

Either of the student villages, Cratloe or Thomond.

I live here last year. 5 minute walk from the college, decent house, landlord is sound enough.

Dooneen Rd, Kilbranish Rd, Caherdavin Gardens, Cooleraine Heights are all around there. You could move closer into the city and move to Rice's Corner.
    Thanks for the information , going to look into them early next week.

Got somewhere to stay for the year , thanks again for the info and help

Advertisement